M1 Beginner Bike & Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Beginner Bike & Insurance

Mala

Hi, All - just wanted to share that I currently have my M1 which allows me to ride and to my surprise many insurance companies will not provide coverage with this license class.

I have purchased a 2015 Ninja300 ABS - nothing crazy, but enough to have fun with as a beginner rider.

After about 10 insurance quotes, State farm came through for me. They look at G class licensing and I was able to obtain insurance for my new bike at just $817/year. I am 35 with an impeccable driving record, but new to the M class field.

Even though I am taking an M1 exit course in a couple of weeks - it will not impact my insurance coverage as again, StateFarm only pulls G class licensing info. But the good news is, before my course I was able to purchase a bike and ride a little without burning a hole in my pocket :)

Thought I would share for any beginner who ran into an issue with obtaining insurance with just an M1 class license. The lower the CCs the better your premium will be. StateFarm is highly recommended if your G license has a good history.

Ride safe!

Last edited:
Did you end up trying a bunch of bikes before settling on the ninja?

I'm also a beginner without a bike but I'm just gonna wait till I do my m2 lessons before deciding.

So far I'm aiming for either the suzuki tu250 or sym wolf 150. (Personally not a fan of modern sporty looking bikes at all)

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I started out on a 2006 SV650s. Anything less than 600cc, you will be bored with after a couple weeks. The SV is good on insurance, and still lets you have a good time. Plus, you can take it out to the track if you're so inclined.

I started out on a 2006 SV650s. Anything less than 600cc, you will be bored with after a couple weeks.

Please do not make such unfounded generalization. I doubt the majority of beginner riders can actually push a 300 to its limits after a couple weeks. Straight line speed is not a measure of pushing a bike to its limit. Hit the twisties or track and you'll be unraveled on how much there is still to learn even on a lower cc bike .

I started out on a 2006 SV650s. Anything less than 600cc, you will be bored with after a couple weeks. The SV is good on insurance, and still lets you have a good time. Plus, you can take it out to the track if you're so inclined.

Wait another ten years and then try a smaller bike again, you'll find that they're a lot of fun, once you've started to learn to ride.

It was a toss up between the Honda CBR300, Yamaha R3 and Ninja 300...R3 was out because no ABS and that was a must for me. It was a tough decision because the CBR is a beautiful bike, but a lot of people complained about the vibrations - their hands going numb...watched a ton of review videos and test drives on you tube and that really helped narrow it down to the Ninja. Just an all around smoother ride, nice torque - it gives when you need it to and I am only 5'3" so a smaller bike is perfect for me. The 2015 Ninja also comes with Dunlop TT900 GP tires - which are awesome and very reliable.

I've been told Ill get bored quick with a 300 - but I was surprised at how many tenured riders go back down to the smaller bikes and really open them up...so thought I'd play it smart and safe until I am comfortable.

Did you end up trying a bunch of bikes before settling on the ninja?

I'm also a beginner without a bike but I'm just gonna wait till I do my m2 lessons before deciding.

So far I'm aiming for either the suzuki tu250 or sym wolf 150. (Personally not a fan of modern sporty looking bikes at all)

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Sweet choices! KTM makes a nice looking Duke125cc - I also love the look/style of the naked bikes - Honda's CB300F is one of my favs and price is so reasonable...maybe next year ;)

...I've been told Ill get bored quick with a 300 - but I was surprised at how many tenured riders go back down to the smaller bikes and really open them up...so thought I'd play it smart and safe until I am comfortable.

Don't believe all the crap you read here on GTAM and elsewhere on the interwebs. All riders have different wants and needs. You made an excellent choice for your first bike, but don't think that you automatically get bored "just because it is a 300". There is a lot more to riding a MC than engine size envy. Learn all you can and have fun. Learn to row up and down your gears to get the best power out of your bike. Learn to stay safe on our roads on a motorcycle. Learn to not go 50kph over the speed limit, which is so much easier on a larger bike. There are a LOT of very experienced riders here who have given up/supplemented their large cc bikes for smaller ones. There are very valid reasons for this.

There is a reason that almost all insurance companies will not insure an M1 rider: All new riders are at high risk. Obviously for the insurance companies an M1 rider is too high a risk to take a chance on them, and I'm sure they've done the big data math and actuarial analysis to justify this. Their risk seems to drop once a rider gets their M2, maybe due to the riding course.

As a new rider please don't for a second think that riding your bike is almost the same as driving your car. On a bike you are invisible to other drivers, which you'll find out soon enough. Your outlook and expectations of other drivers needs to be completely different. The consequences of a mistake, yours or probably the other driver, are much more dire on a bike. I know it sounds very obvious, but the situational dynamics of riding do not automatically benefit from your perfect G record. Riding has its own unique learning challenges that you will need to learn.

Most insurance companies won't insure a m1? Really... you have it for a max of 90 whole days. :rolleyes:

Nice choice in the bike op. My friends wife just got the cbr and I've ridden it a couple of times and actually really enjoy it. I'd actually consider one or the ninja as a daily run around over my 600. Great bike to learn on and I don't see anyone being easily bored with it.

Words of advice well written ^TorontoBoy - my focus for riding is control and to enjoy :) I really want to know my bike, what happens with every move, lean, etc...I have a lot to learn!! My boyfriend and brothers all ride and I have seen first hand how easy it is to be in a bad situation. You have to always expect worst from other drivers and have a reaction plan ready at all times. I can totally see how intimidating it will be for the first little while - which is why I am quite happy with my decision to go with the 300 - its hard enough learning the process, never mind trying to control a beast .... though I do appreciate those adrenaline junkies who have a need for speed and don't mind taking greater risks, just not my style which is OK!

Totally kills me though about most insurance companies not supporting M1 - I mean with an M1 you can ride...but you need a bike and you can't buy a bike without insurance. That was my dilemma - thankfully I came across a forum similar to this one in which state farm was recommended...worked out nicely for me so hope it does for someone else as well.

Most insurance companies won't insure a m1? Really... you have it for a max of 90 whole days. :rolleyes:

I know!! But I was so excited to get my first bike ;) I will wait to do a full solo ride until after my M2 course....but no harm in fooling around on it in an empty parking lot until then! Supervised of course! Also wanted to get to know the basics of a bike in the meantime - learning the parts, etc...think thats an important piece that a lot of new riders miss...they just want to hop on and ride. If something ever goes wrong with my bike, I want know what it is and what I'm talking about.

Thanks, y'all :) Good discussion.

Great solid advice Torontoboy not sure why you told her she needs at least a 600 as an M1 rider as "she will get bored with a 300 in a couple of weeks".

Given that advice then obviously a rider would surely become bored with a 600 in what 3 - 4 months and need to upgrade again. So why not just start out properly get a litre bike as an M1 rider. Ask the now deceased M1 rider and his critically injured passenger from Rosedale Valley Road a couple of weeks ago how that worked out for him.

Your post screams inexperience and a TOTAL lack of riding knowledge. As has been shown here MANY very experienced and VERY skilled riders prefer smaller bikes like a 250 - 300, as they can really work those bikes. You can't even come CLOSE to letting a 600 "stretch it's legs" on ANY road in Ontario without being well into HTA 172 territory.

OP you seem a very responsible young lady who has taken the time to research your purchase options and came to choose a VERY good bike. Congrats.

Welcome to the club Mala! Great decision to take the M1 exit class, and great choice on your first bike.

Great solid advice Torontoboy not sure why you told her she needs at least a 600 as an M1 rider as "she will get bored with a 300 in a couple of weeks".

Given that advice then obviously a rider would surely become bored with a 600 in what 3 - 4 months and need to upgrade again. So why not just start out properly get a litre bike as an M1 rider. Ask the now deceased M1 rider and his critically injured passenger from Rosedale Valley Road a couple of weeks ago how that worked out for him.

Your post screams inexperience and a TOTAL lack of riding knowledge. As has been shown here MANY very experienced and VERY skilled riders prefer smaller bikes like a 250 - 300, as they can really work those bikes. You can't even come CLOSE to letting a 600 "stretch it's legs" on ANY road in Ontario without being well into HTA 172 territory.

OP you seem a very responsible young lady who has taken the time to research your purchase options and came to choose a VERY good bike. Congrats.

Couldn't agree more ^ but just need to clarify that it was Lord Business (not TorontoBoy) suggesting 600+....but he obviously likes to track it out, which is fine, but not a need for every rider...

I am getting more and more excited with my choice on the Ninja - pearl white BTW :) She might be a keeper!

Hi, All - just wanted to share that I currently have my M1 which allows me to ride and to my surprise many insurance companies will not provide coverage with this license class.

I have purchased a 2015 Ninja300 ABS - nothing crazy, but enough to have fun with as a beginner rider.

After about 10 insurance quotes, State farm came through for me. They look at G class licensing and I was able to obtain insurance for my new bike at just $817/year. I am 35 with an impeccable driving record, but new to the M class field.

Even though I am taking an M1 exit course in a couple of weeks - it will not impact my insurance coverage as again, StateFarm only pulls G class licensing info. But the good news is, before my course I was able to purchase a bike and ride a little without burning a hole in my pocket :)

Thought I would share for any beginner who ran into an issue with obtaining insurance with just an M1 class license. The lower the CCs the better your premium will be. StateFarm is highly recommended if your G license has a good history.

Ride safe!

Statefarm and Allstate are the 2 worst insurance companies in north america. Yes, the two of them do give cheap rates, maybe the cheapest, but you will one day find out why.

Last edited:
Statefarm and Allstate are the 2 worst insurance companies in north america. Yes, the two of them do give cheap rates, maybe the cheapest, but you will one day find out why.

Why is this? I've been with state farm for nearly two decades. Did have an accident and have gotten tickets. They've always treated me very well. From these good experiences I decided to stay with them.

The suspense is killing me ;) why are they the worst? I have a broker right in town and within 30 min of calling I was in her office signing the policy.

Had very pleasing service with StateFarm compared to the others who either promised to call me back 3 times (riders plus), hung up on me or transferred me to 3 difference people before they could figure out who was suppose to give me a quote...

StateFarm is generally only good for insuring people with M1 license and some super sports. Other than that, you can generally find better quotes with other companies.

As for Allstate, they have weak reputation in the States. Based on statistics, in Canada, they are in top half for client satisfaction and so is StateFarm, btw.

Back
Top Bottom