M Licensing Course for insurance discount | GTAMotorcycle.com

M Licensing Course for insurance discount

jackyff8

Hi all,

just trying to get back into riding again and have had my M2 pre-covid in summer of 2019. Wondering if you all would recommend me taking something like the M LICENSING COURSE from RTI and if it would lower my insurance rates? To just register for the M test at the ministry is only $91.25 but the course from RTI is $425. Can anyone chime in on whether or not one can be rewarded with a discount in the long run from training like this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

just trying to get back into riding again and have had my M2 pre-covid in summer of 2019. Wondering if you all would recommend me taking something like the M LICENSING COURSE from RTI and if it would lower my insurance rates? To just register for the M test at the ministry is only $91.25 but the course from RTI is $425. Can anyone chime in on whether or not one can be rewarded with a discount in the long run from training like this?

Thank you in advance.
I highly doubt it reduces your insurance further.
BUT, what it does is point out all the bad habits you've started accumulating and helps fix things with an evening of in-class, a morning of riding with the instructor and the test.

MTO has a fail rate closing in on the 45% rate from what I heard last.

So, the worst that can happen is that you spend a couple extra bucks and actually learn something. But, do what you wish.
Learning Curves also offers an M2 exit, for a couple bucks less if that's going to be the deciding factor.

I highly doubt it reduces your insurance further.
BUT, what it does is point out all the bad habits you've started accumulating and helps fix things with an evening of in-class, a morning of riding with the instructor and the test.

MTO has a fail rate closing in on the 45% rate from what I heard last.

So, the worst that can happen is that you spend a couple extra bucks and actually learn something. But, do what you wish.
Learning Curves also offers an M2 exit, for a couple bucks less if that's going to be the deciding factor.
Thanks @BigEvilDoer

I will most likely be going for the course then. Prob not worth failing and wasting time if the rates are that high.

Concur you're not going to see a discount with the M. What they care about is how long you've had the M2.
even if I've had it since 2019 and was never insured during this period would that still "count" and add to years of owning the M2 designation?

Well not that it matters too too much I guess, I'm turning 35 this year so I don't think I'll be paying that high of a rate comparing to a 19 yr/old young adult...🤞

even if I've had it since 2019 and was never insured during this period would that still "count" and add to years of owning the M2 designation?

Well not that it matters too too much I guess, I'm turning 35 this year so I don't think I'll be paying that high of a rate comparing to a 19 yr/old young adult...🤞
Well...i wouldn't go celebrate yet..wait for the quote lol.

Technically yes, it matters. Since you have an M2 they can count it as riding experience. Not having insurance is a strike, but your age is in your favour.

M2 versus M made no difference to my pricing when shopping for quotes or renewing my existing policy.

I registered with drivetest for my M2X. I didn't want to go through the weekend course again. Strictly a personal preference.

M2 versus M made no difference to my pricing when shopping for quotes or renewing my existing policy.

I registered with drivetest for my M2X. I didn't want to go through the weekend course again. Strictly a personal preference.
M2X is only 1 day. As you alluded to, it’s subjective but having a good instructor catch your weaknesses could be worth it.

I did the MTOHP M course last year.
Well worth the money. A one day course with good instruction and a small group of riders.
Your test is included in the course.

or you could go with that shady outfit @Evoex teaches at. :cool:

Shady sounds good. Who wants to wear all that gear in the hot sun.

M2X is only 1 day. As you alluded to, it’s subjective but having a good instructor catch your weaknesses could be worth it.
Ah, good to know. I stand corrected.

Prior to my M2X, i was refreshing parking lot drills from M1X days, only to realize after i wrapped up my M2X that it wasnt included. I shouldve actually read the M2X checklist. 🤷‍♂️

Beaches. You are not teaching there, afair?
Nope.

If you’re there on the weekend of the 28th I know the instructor, you’re in good hands.

I'm planning to go for my M this summer as well. I did a course with RTI to get my M2, and I remember they had a policy that if you were to fail, you could re-book with them for free. Basically getting double the time to practice and receive their training etc. So maybe they (or other places) have a similar deal for the M.

I'm planning to go for my M this summer as well. I did a course with RTI to get my M2, and I remember they had a policy that if you were to fail, you could re-book with them for free. Basically getting double the time to practice and receive their training etc. So maybe they (or other places) have a similar deal for the M.

I can confirm others offer the same.

TD insurance did not lower anything after my M2 to M. Still pay really cheap. I had the same dilema but ultimately did the $92 MTO test and passed easily. Ask your insurance company if you're unsure.

Back
Top Bottom