M license | GTAMotorcycle.com

M license

Hi

Few weeks back I got my M license. Should call my insurance company and let them know or would they get it from the ministry directly.

Thank you.
Likely wouldn't catch it until they pulled your record, might as well let them know.

Didn't make a difference on rates when I called my insurance company (TD Meloche). They said it's years of experience that matters.

M doesn't expire. thats the only difference with m2. so makes sense not to effect insurance rate

Yeah, a buddy who last rode probably 40 years ago had to check his license recently to see if it still had the M next to the G. It did.

M doesn't expire. thats the only difference with m2. so makes sense not to effect insurance rate
Uhhh..that is not the only difference.

Alcohol prohibition is the big one. While riding and drinking is a bad idea to start with, 1 drink violates the zero tolerance rules -- see how insurers view a conviction and licence a suspension for blowing .01.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Question is what is allowed alcohol level for M?
Same as a car.

However you now get warnings (and suspensions? Someone correct me) for being under the legal limit in all vehicles.

What counts as impaired driving
Impaired driving means operating a vehicle (including cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles and off-road vehicles) while your ability to do so has been compromised to any degree by consuming alcohol, drugs or a combination of the two.

Fully Licensed Drivers
Throughout Canada, the maximum legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for fully licensed drivers is to be under 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, or 0.08. Driving with a BAC of 0.08 or over is a criminal offence and the penalties are severe.

In Ontario, you will also face serious consequences if your BAC is between 0.05 and 0.08. This is commonly referred to as the “warn range.”

If police determine that you are driving while impaired by any drug, including illegal drugs, cannabis, prescription and over-the-counter medications, you will face severe consequences and criminal charges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
No motorcycle!

What counts as impaired driving
Impaired driving means operating a vehicle (including cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles and off-road vehicles) while your ability to do so has been compromised to any degree by consuming alcohol, drugs or a combination of the two.

Fully Licensed Drivers
Throughout Canada, the maximum legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for fully licensed drivers is to be under 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, or 0.08. Driving with a BAC of 0.08 or over is a criminal offence and the penalties are severe.

In Ontario, you will also face serious consequences if your BAC is between 0.05 and 0.08. This is commonly referred to as the “warn range.”

If police determine that you are driving while impaired by any drug, including illegal drugs, cannabis, prescription and over-the-counter medications, you will face severe consequences and criminal charges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
No motorcycle!
A motorcycle in not a vehicle now?

Link the source material.

48.3 (1) Where a police officer is satisfied that a person driving or having the care, charge or control of a motor vehicle or operating or having the care or control of a vessel meets one of the criteria set out in subsection (3), the officer shall request that the person surrender his or her driver’s licence. 2009, c. 5, s. 19 (1).

Criteria
(3) The criteria for the purpose of subsection (1) are:
1. The person is shown, by an analysis of breath or blood taken pursuant to a demand made under subsection 254 (3) of the Criminal Code (Canada) or pursuant to section 256 of the Criminal Code (Canada), to have a concentration of alcohol in his or her blood in excess of 80 milligrams in 100 millilitres of blood.
Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, paragraph 1 of subsection 48.3 (3) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted: (See: 2019, c. 8, Sched. 1, s. 18 (1))
1. The person is shown, by an analysis of breath or blood taken pursuant to a demand made under section 320.27 or 320.28 of the Criminal Code (Canada) or pursuant to judicial authorization under the Criminal Code (Canada), to have a concentration of alcohol in his or her blood of 80 milligrams or more in 100 millilitres of blood.

Law Document English View

Motorcycles are motor vehicles.

/thread

A motorcycle in not a vehicle now?

Link the source material.
"Bus" is not listed and has zero tolerance.

I've heard recently M also doesn't allow any alcohol. I don't know and personally I don't care since I drink very rarely and never ride after that.

regarding the insurance, I've heard some companies increase their rate when moving from G2 to G (now driver can have alcohol in blood)!

Anyway, M2 and M, no change.

Back
Top Bottom