M/C incident by machine category | GTAMotorcycle.com

M/C incident by machine category

TK4

I've been trying to find any statistics that show the likelihood of accidents by machine category (supersport, standard, adv, cruiser, etc.)
Anyone have any ideas where to look ?
Insurance companies must have some, otherwise how do they create premiums ?
I know that age, experience, geographic location matter too.
Thanks in advance.

They do keep them, they do not publish or share. The don't actually use them for statistical purposes, the MC market in Canada is provincial, even Ontario is too small for them to invest into studying crash data, they don't waste their actuaries on MC or snowmobile analytics.

You can get some empirical data by looking at sites like Copart.com, count the crashed bikes. Unfortunately that won't give you demographic info, nor will it tell you percentages by class. If you want a small er sample, look at Impact.ca, they handle most MC insurance liquidations in Canada.

I can tell you based on experience the raw data is simply not available.

They do keep them, they do not publish or share. The don't actually use them for statistical purposes, the MC market in Canada is provincial, even Ontario is too small for them to invest into studying crash data, they don't waste their actuaries on MC or snowmobile analytics.

You can get some empirical data by looking at sites like Copart.com, count the crashed bikes. Unfortunately that won't give you demographic info, nor will it tell you percentages by class. If you want a small er sample, look at Impact.ca, they handle most MC insurance liquidations in Canada.

I can tell you based on experience the raw data is simply not available.
Thank you for the heads up. Too bad, it would be interesting data.

A 2007 Consumer Reports report based on IIHS and HLDI reads, in part:

"What motorcycles show the greatest risks?
Supersport bike riders have death rates that are four times greater than average for all motorcycle types, says the IIHS. These so-called rockets are essentially racing bikes modified for highway use. Engineered for speed, they typically have more horsepower per pound than other bikes. A 2006 model Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, for example, produces 111 horsepower and weighs 404 pounds. In contrast, the 2006 model Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a touring motorcycle, produces 65 horsepower and weighs 788 pounds.

"Supersport motorcycles are indeed nimble and quick, but they also can be deadly," says Anne McCartt, Institute senior vice president for research. "These bikes made up less than 10 percent of registered motorcycles in 2005 but accounted for over 25 percent of rider deaths."

The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" riders rank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000.
"

Motorcycle death rates doubled; supersport bikes the most dangerous

This is US data; we're probably not much different. Things have also moved a bit since 2007 in terms of power ratings and the implementation of rider aids like ABS, TC and so on.

I am always amazed at how little power HD engines make stock. 1450cc and 65 hp??? Barf. They are intentionally nerfing them to get you to spend thousands more to get them to a decent place. My 50 year old mini makes more power with less displacement.

I'm convinced insurance rates are based totally on speculation & conjecture.

:I can tell you that trials bikes crash way more frequently then the lot of them and the chances of being seriously hurt are the lowest out of the lot of them too, followed by Enduro and Motocross, followed by track racing, then comes riding on public roads which is way more dangerous then any closed course competition, you don't want to be crashing any kinds of motorcycles on public roads, do it in the dirt.

Pretty much speed kills! Particularly when the thing you hit is speeding the other way.

I am always amazed at how little power HD engines make stock. 1450cc and 65 hp??? Barf. They are intentionally nerfing them to get you to spend thousands more to get them to a decent place. My 50 year old mini makes more power with less displacement.
A 70 mini 1275 produced 59 hp and 60lbs of torque. Most HDs are better than that. British Leyland cars are cute and fun, but they are mostly poorly engineered junk. I used to race those POS cars, thankfully Nissan and Buick had motors based on Bl blocks... needed those to pass the finish line!

Harleys may seem underpowered on paper but they produce sufficient amounts of torque to get you going. My FXDC (with the rare stock exhaust) has plenty of useable power, will beat any car off the line, and cruises at 130 kph all day long with ease.

Last edited:
The IIHS report doesn't account for demographics, which are potentially very significant. For example, touring bikes have low crash rates but very few of them are ridden by noobs.

I got more speeding tickets driving a 1984 Toyota Tercel with about 70 HP from a 1500 cc, than I have in any car before or since, all with way more power. God, the first week I owned that thing I thought I made a huge mistake, until I realized I'd just have to row through the gears a lot more to keep up a head of steam on hills.

I guess with the speeding it was that period in my life and the vagaries of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would have been speeding in what ever I was driving.

My current car is rated for 145 HP and 2800 lb. My current bike specs at about 120 HP and weighs 550 lb. No noob is going to be riding one because it's a relic. BTW, the car and the bike get the same fuel economy. :)

Four drivers, ages 19 and 20, were taken off the roads in West Perth over the weekend, all charged with stunting etc.

4 drivers taken off the road for speeding in West Perth

On my way home at lunch a semi-tractor, driven by an Indian-looking guy, almost T-boned me in an intersection, after very nearly running a red. On the way back to work, an old-fart white guy in an SUV nearly T-boned a left-turning car trying to clear the intersection by ignoring the red.

Jesus, is it any wonder insurance rates are what they are here??

The IIHS report doesn't account for demographics, which are potentially very significant. For example, touring bikes have low crash rates but very few of them are ridden by noobs.
This is true, however there are some generalities on Demographics. It really suggest old farts ought to be paying more for insurance than kids. That's never going to happen under the current rules, Ins cos price MC insurance cheap to old farts so they can collect their cars and home insurance, they make it expense for youth because they're not chasing young men's car insurance business and they can't make money on MC insurance alone.

This 40764

Would like to see a graph that illustrates percentage of motorcycle riders by age over that same period.

Would like to see a graph that illustrates percentage of motorcycle riders by age over that same period.
That would be interesting. I think it's important to note that IIHS data doesn't differentiate between on and off highway use. Dirtbikes would account for a lot of these deaths. Dirtbike use has fallen dramatically since the late 70s as ATVs and Playstations took over that market.

Back
Top Bottom