Lowside, Now Wont Start | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lowside, Now Wont Start

MattJ1983

Site Supporter
Hello all,
Recently got a lowsided, left side, Triumph T120. Will not start. Press the starter button and nothing, no sound of the starter.
The lowside broke the tip of the shifter off. Battery powers the lights and turns on the gauges. There is what looks like an engine light on the speedo.

Any ideas would be wonderful, thanks.

Safety switches?
sheared off wires in the hand controls?
Fuses?
Does it have a Clutch safety switch?

Time to start meter testing stuff.

Some bikes have a tipover sensor. Have you checked the owner's manual for troubleshooting tips?

Side stand switch broken?

Side stand looks faily untouched, but will have a look.

Broke tip of shifter...I assume you can get it into neutral and it’s not in gear when trying to start?

Correct. Can get it into 1st and then back to neutral..

Safety switches?
sheared off wires in the hand controls?
Fuses?
Does it have a Clutch safety switch?

Time to start meter testing stuff.

A quick search shows there might be a clutch safety switch. Hopefully thats the only switch.

Some bikes have a tipover sensor. Have you checked the owner's manual for troubleshooting tips?

Not yet, will take a look tomorrow.

i am curious, i had bikes tip over before from myself and friends and it wouldn't start after picking it up due to tip over sensor.

How do you deal with it? What usually happens is, we leave it parked for a couple of hours and than it would start right back up. Is that what suppose to happen?

i am curious, i had bikes tip over before from myself and friends and it wouldn't start after picking it up due to tip over sensor.

How do you deal with it? What usually happens is, we leave it parked for a couple of hours and than it would start right back up. Is that what suppose to happen?
I've always had it refire in a few minutes, i think it just needs to sense you upright then a minute or two to reset.

If someone knows for sure i hope they chime in,

My tip over sensor only shuts the bike down while it is laying down or upside down, has been thoroughly tested.

If you drop most modern bikes you have to turn the key off and then back on to reset the tip over sensor.
OP, your problem is likely the clutch safety switch or the side stand safety switch IMO.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Remove the wires connected to the battery terminals for about 10 minutes and re-install. See if it “resets” everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the wires connected to the battery terminals for about 10 minutes and re-install. See if it “resets” everything.

This is a good idea.

Usually just turning the key off and then on resets the switch. Early ST1100s were recalled for defective tip over switches that shut down the bike randomly, obviously very dangerous depending on where you happened to be.

You need brand/model specific tech info. Maybe below URL helps or points in the right direction.

Fall detection or Tip-over switch on EFI models - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Back
Top Bottom