lowering a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

lowering a bike

simcoe19

Sorry if this has been posted ,

but being only 5"2 really does have it's disadvantages... that being saod, i am sure i won't find a bike my size so i will need to buy a lowering kit.. but my question is. where is a good place to get it installed??

thoughts on " shaving the seat"

thanks in advance

Lowering kits are pretty easy to install i did a couple last week at work....Any shop should be able to do it for you......

Question has been asked a bazillion times before. Search the forum for previous discussions.

Take every possible action other than lowering the suspension as far as possible before doing that, and if you still have to lower it, do so by as little as possible, and equally at both ends. The tricky bit is not installing the lowering links, that's easy ... the tricky bit is preserving the steering geometry and as much of the suspension travel as possible to minimize the adverse effect on handling - and the effects WILL be adverse. The amount that the bike can be lowered, while preserving steering geometry and suspension travel, is not limited by the lowering links at the rear, it's limited by the available upward travel of the forks at the front, without risking collision of the front fender with the bottom of the fairing, the radiator, the exhaust, etc.

It is NOT necessary to be flat-footed with both feet when at a stop ...

Getting the seat trimmed down is a good first thing to do. Different bikes have different seat designs. Any automotive upholstery shop can do it.

And as I've said before... I've talked to insurance companies about what "mods" are ok and at least StateFarm has told me they will not insure a lowered bike at all.

...being only 5"2 really does have it's disadvantages... that being said, i am sure i won't find a bike my size so i will need to buy a lowering kit.. but my question is. where is a good place to get it installed??

thoughts on " shaving the seat"...

It depends on the style of bike and your need to want to "flat foot". A Ninja 250 stock might feel a little high, but you can easily ride it, using your toes when stopped. A CBR125R is also rideable stock. Shaving down the seat sponge will also lower the bike without changing the geometry.

Also consider a cruiser but you will need a mid-controls bike. Though not a beginner bike, a stock HD Sporster Low with mid-controls will fit you perfectly. Also try a Kawi Vulcan 500 or a Honda Shadow 500, both discontinued.

While your initial selection of bikes is more limited, much more depends on your skill as a rider. There are many riders taller than you that have chosen taller bikes they cannot flatfoot because they want a specific bike. There are many professional riders that are also small. Dani Pedrosa is a MotoGP winner who is a mere 5'2". There is no one on this forum that can outride him.

On the plus side a shorter rider usually means a lighter rider. This means you need less engine power to go the same speed. There is always a bright side to any coin.

I can't flatfoot my 650R but it's generally only an issue when trying to reverse it (while on it, which I guess I could get off) in bumpy situations like crappy gravel driveways or grass. Even then it's only an issue with my riding boots on because they don't bend the same way as regular shoes/boots.

It can make stopping a little sketchy though if you have to tip the bike way over before you can touch the ground.

Back
Top Bottom