Low fuel light won't stop blinking | GTAMotorcycle.com

Low fuel light won't stop blinking

beverage

Yes, I filled the bike up. ;-)

Now that we have that question out of the way:
2006 SV650S
No problems on the ride to work this morning. Fired the bike up to leave work and the light began blinking right away. I checked the tripmeter and I was about 40 kms shy of my usual fill distance. Hit the first gas station anyway and the bike only took 9.5 liters of fuel; well shy of the typical 13 when the light starts flashing. The light continued to flash for the 40 km ride home. The bike was shut off and restarted a few times, but the light continues to flash.
The bike seems to run perfectly fine, but I'd like to get this sorted out. I'm assuming it's just the fuel level sensor or the wiring to/from the sensor, but I want to be sure this isn't a precursor to a bigger issue that could leave me stranded somewhere.

Any ideas where to start with this one?

Thanks.

Yes, I filled the bike up. ;-)

Now that we have that question out of the way:
2006 SV650S
No problems on the ride to work this morning. Fired the bike up to leave work and the light began blinking right away. I checked the tripmeter and I was about 40 kms shy of my usual fill distance. Hit the first gas station anyway and the bike only took 9.5 liters of fuel; well shy of the typical 13 when the light starts flashing. The light continued to flash for the 40 km ride home. The bike was shut off and restarted a few times, but the light continues to flash.
The bike seems to run perfectly fine, but I'd like to get this sorted out. I'm assuming it's just the fuel level sensor or the wiring to/from the sensor, but I want to be sure this isn't a precursor to a bigger issue that could leave me stranded somewhere.

Any ideas where to start with this one?

Thanks.

have you checked the connector? Is it plugged in at the tank?

have you checked the connector? Is it plugged in at the tank?
Yep. The only connector between the harness and the fuel tank is plugged together. If it was unplugged, I'd expect the light to not work at all, and the fuel pump to also not work. I unplugged the connector and checked each wire running through it, and they all looked like they were solidly connected and no corrosion. Plugged the connector back together and the problem still persists.

Checked fuses? Maybe wires loose
All connections seem tight. I didn't check fuses, but if it was blown I'd expect the fuel level indicator wouldn't work at all, or go on solid (stage 2 of the low fuel circuit). I'll check fuses just to be safe though.

Electrical is definitely not my forte, so keep the ideas coming. I can live with the light blinking for now and hold off until I have more time and money to deal with it (newborn at home) since I use the tripmeter to keep track of fill-ups anyway, but I just don't want to get stranded somewhere if this is a lead up to a fuel pump issue, or some other electrical problem.

Back
Top Bottom