Loud and proud? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud and proud?

If loud pipes save lives. Then quiet bikes should be killers. Show me the numbers. Why are Wings and quiet little dual sports not in a lot more collisions?
Visual conspicuity saves lives.
Bingo - don't dress all in black and then tell me you need a loud pipe to get noticed. Bollocks

Followed a guy on a metric cruiser the other day.
He was dressed in The Uniform - wife beater shirt, beanie helmet, shorts, high top sneakers, no gloves.
The bike had the most obnoxious sound, loudness aside it was flat out annoying.
It must be a lot of work expressing your individuality as well as 'sticking it to The Man' by dressing and riding just like dozens of others...

What kind of idiot rides in close proximity to a transport truck :unsure: you stay back and give them lots of room or just blow by those ******* don't you,
same as with slow bikes running loud pipes.

What kind of idiot rides in close proximity to a transport truck :unsure: you stay back and give them lots of room or just blow by those ******* don't you,

Spend a week in the shoes of any trucker on the road and you'd be absolutely flabbergasted at the end of the week at what you saw and experienced.

You have no idea.

There is a reasonable solution to reduce longer distant heavy transport traffic on the tarmac, but they seem slow to put it in place, :) it called Steel Rails!

maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing shows a complete misunderstanding of how 90% of the products people buy and use everyday find themselves on the shelves of every single store near you than making the "put everything on trains!" argument.

Trains have their place....but unless you don't mind empty shelves and rotten produce in your local grocery store, or your Amazon delivery taking a month to come from a few US states away (I could go on, and on, and on), and also don't mind this situation below happening everywhere all the time, yeah, reality is it's NOT the solution some see it as.

bilde12.jpg

How many heavy trucks are destined to travel nearly the entire length of the 401 highway just today?

... Trains have their place........
Yes on train tracks, but if you were Canada building an infrastructure to put transport trucks on steel rail, why did you assume they had to travel on existing train tracks? Because you are looking for a reason to simply dismiss the proposal. Steel wheels on steel tracks is a historically proven superior method to transport heavy objects.

Nothing shows a complete misunderstanding of how 90% of the products people buy and use everyday find themselves on the shelves of every single store near you than making the "put everything on trains!" argument.

Trains have their place....but unless you don't mind empty shelves and rotten produce in your local grocery store, or your Amazon delivery taking a month to come from a few US states away (I could go on, and on, and on), and also don't mind this situation below happening everywhere all the time, yeah, reality is it's NOT the solution some see it as.

bilde12.jpg
Nothing wrong with replacing long haul with as much as possible on rail. As for the produce argument a lot of it does arrive on rail and is broadly distributed via truck.

The idea is to reduce volume on roads and improve flow. It would be nice if it could happen.

Here’s the thing that’s lost on many people when it comes to the reality of how freight moves in modern day.

First, trains are painfully slow, and that’s a problem because almost all industries have gone to a warehouseless design called “just in time”.

Since massively large warehouses are no longer needed in every big (and small) city for many (not all, but most) products it helps reduce prices at the consumer level, which we all know is a massive thing. In today’s retail realities, it’s live and die actually.

so, when a business suddenly has a run on a certain product and needs to put more on the shelves that product is typically sent directly from the manufacturer to the store, not shipped from A very costly to operate warehouse facility nearby where that product may have been sitting taking up expensive space on a shelf for months, including the costs of the staff to place it there and then package it and send it back out again.

Easiest way to explain it to people not in the industry is that the truck effectively becomes the warehouse for the short period of time things are traveling. And since a truck and cross the entire continent in only a few days even something coming from California for example would be back in stock on that store shelf by the end of the week. Most shipments happen even faster from closer manufacturing facilities so were talking days.

Like I said, trains have their place for bulk items that are not time sensitive, but they make lousy Just In Time transportation systems.

On the perishables side of things a team driven truck can have a load of grapes (for one example) from California onto your store shelf in 4 days. A train would add at least 4-6 days to that between configuration of the train (loading the intermodal reefer onto the train), transit time (just moving it from A to B), breaking down the train at point B, and then loading that intermodal trailer onto a truck again for the last miles anyways. By then non hardy fruits have started to go bad and won’t sell at the retail level because consumers reject them.

Like I said, using just one example, this explains how completely misunderstood the freight industry is. People simply don’t grasp how the things they expect to be on the shelves every day when they go to their local stores find their way there, and are almost always in stock.

Last edited:
Trains are great, and a lot handier than a Sea container if you live inland.

Oregon to me by train is 3 weeks and about $3000, truck is 5 days ish and $4500. Train will get to a hub in Chicago and sit for a while, a hub in Brantford and sit for a while, then maybe three days later CN will push it down my rail siding. But we have a rail siding, most folks do not, so you pay a frieght terminal to offload it and it goes on a truck anyway.
Jet vans, the piggyback truck trailers that get parked on trains are a great alternative but they still need to go through two or three terminals to get to a destination.
And then the end user has to have the ability to empty a jet van.
Sea containers to get to Toronto come into NJ or Montreal, you cant sail a container ship into TO, so the box still goes on a train then truck , or just truck if your lucky and plan ahead.

150yrs of moving loads and CN or CP rail can only give you a 5 day window of when a product could arrive. Dont get me started on the "just in time" horse poop.

Back
Top Bottom