Looks like Cardo is jumping on the "subscribe for features" bandwagon. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looks like Cardo is jumping on the "subscribe for features" bandwagon.

I'm appalled at how much stuff has creeped onto my subscription pay list:

VPN
YouTube
NetFlix
Spotify
Photo Hosting
Website Hosting
Dropbox
Garmin Emergency Beacon

I have paid for a few SaaS products, but not subscription, just one-offs. $10 here, $15 there.

I call that “parasitic draw”. I went through a purge recently and it was cathartic. A garmin subscription here, amazon channel there….it all adds up.

I got a notification that Packtalk Bold needs a firmware upgrade.
I'm hoping that it doesn't convert my unit to a subscription based unit.

Also the "hey cardo" feature doesn't seem to work.

I got a notification that Packtalk Bold needs a firmware upgrade.
I'm hoping that it doesn't convert my unit to a subscription based unit.

Also the "hey cardo" feature doesn't seem to work.

Subscription features are only aimed at the new Packtalk custom device I believe. My Freecom 4x works fine with "Hey Cardo".

I'm glad I got my Freecom 4 with voice command, which was really the only feature I felt missing from my Sena 4S with basic Bluetooth connectivity. I can't imagine paying an ongoing Platinum fee just to get that feature (and whatever Eco mode is, it sure isn't economical for my wallet). Hopefully they'll keep making the cheaper units. If they were smart, they'd consolidate all their hardware into a single device capable of all options, sell it at their lowest priced until today, and offer each individual additional feature as either a one-time activation (keeping pricing in line with current models), or ongoing subscription at an affordable rate so people can mix and match instead of swallowing a huge package just for one feature. For someone like me who keeps stuff until it dies, a 5+ years of subscription just isn't worth it unless it also included additional hardware warranty or upgrades (like the Klim/In&Motion airbag vests).

Can you shut off the subscription the 8 months of the year you don't need it?
I think I am the only person on earth who does not have a $100.00 a month GARANTEED NEVER RUN OUT OF DATA plan.
Pay as you go casts me about $1.50 a month.
If I need to share photos with the person next to me I just hand them my phone.
When I am riding I am too busy concentrating on where I am going to listen to tunes or talk to people.
Don't mind my rant. I am just old and will crawl back into my cave!

Can you shut off the subscription the 8 months of the year you don't need it?
I think I am the only person on earth who does not have a $100.00 a month GARANTEED NEVER RUN OUT OF DATA plan.
Pay as you go casts me about $1.50 a month.
If I need to share photos with the person next to me I just hand them my phone.
When I am riding I am too busy concentrating on where I am going to listen to tunes or talk to people.
Don't mind my rant. I am just old and will crawl back into my cave!
You should really get with the times.

Here is something you might be familiar with but small step above from the the typical tin can and string.

😄😄😄😄

1686327520939.png

Last edited:
You should really get with the times.

Here is something you might be familiar with but small step above from the the typical tin can and string.

View attachment 61448
I have a 6 year old iPone 6SE that can also be used for an alarm clock.
What more do I need?
I used to have a tape deck in my car but found listening Radar Love just caused me to speed.

Thats an expensive alarm clock. lol

BTW. I was just joking.

Back
Top Bottom