Looking for suggestion | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for suggestion

OverrRyde

Hi everyone,

I have finally saved a few bucks and will be making a purchase this season. Budget is about $1500, give/take a couple hundreds. I have decided to get either a CBR125 or Ninja 250, used/older obviously!

Right now, can't seem to find much on trader or Kijiji for a Ninja within my budget, and the ones I do find I'm not getting responses back from the sellers or are already sold. There are a few 125s as well, waiting for a response.

My question is, should I just make the purchase now on a 125 or wait for someone to post a 250 within my budget? Really what I'm asking is should I wait or buy now? I feel if I wait too long, I may miss out on a deal for a 125 given spring is just around the corner.

Any opinion?
Thanks!

FYI it is March break this week, people might be away or busy.

Does $1500 include helmet/gloves/boots/jacket/pants and most critically insurance or do you have at least another $2000 for all that? Given the limited budget, I would probably aim for a 125 at <$1000 so you have some contingency money.

Just make sure you get the bike you want/need/ suited for yourself. City riding vs highway (I wouldn't take the 125cc on the highway. If you are a big guy or average size. Hopefully, you ridden / test drove both CC. Don't forget to budget for some decent gear, helmet (check date inside helmet), jacket with a CE rated back protector, gloves, boots, riding pants. gear doesn't have to be new to good. Best money spent is on you not the bike!

Agreed with all. I actually already have my gear I purchased last year before taking the course at Sheridan. Had some hand me down gloves from my father in law so I may just need to by that.

As for bike I want, I would be happy with the 125, I don't plan on doing much or any highway, this is my first year and I drive my car to work. I don't see that changing for the simple fact I often run errands for the wife before or after! So essentially, the budget is strictly for the bike itself.

Since this is my first time buying a motorcycle, I'm more concerned with possible inflated prices the closer we get to warm riding temps.

Cheers!

If you are shopping for a CBR125 look for a 2011 or newer model, they made a lot of improvements starting in 2011. The model has been dropped from Canadian import in the last few years but still exists in some other foreign markets.

1500$ is not a very big budget, you are probably going to pay large for insurance, obtain the VIN and price out insurance before purchasing any motorcycle.

lots of good advice already
1,500 is a tight budget
aim for a 125
as any 250 worth buying will be more than that

assuming this is your first bike
unless your are pretty handy
you should resist the temptation to go old in order to stay in budget
a first bike that's broken half the time is no fun
especially if you can't afford to fix it

prices will only go up from here on
if you can find a decent bike now, buy it

from the post above mine, this 125 looks like a good deal
< $1,000 for a 10 year old bike with 6,400 km on it

seller is decent enough to describe a driveway dump
looks to me from the pics it has been down lightly on the left side
bar end is scuffed, front left signal stalk maybe a bit wonky?
exhaust can looks good, so it hasn't been down on that side

Windsor is the bummer, but it could be worth the trip OP

2008 Honda cbr 125 | Sport Bikes | Windsor Region | Kijiji

Thanks everyone for the replied!

I did see a few 125's posted on Kijiji including the one above, and a few other 07-08's within the budget. So far, nothing for a 250 so i may just make the jump for the 125. Only thing is the drive out to Windsor/Leamington, but being that its within budget i am really considering it!

I called out to a couple brokers for quote and the best one i got was from Dalton Timmis. Quoted about $480 for the 125 and $590 for the 250. pretty reasonable!

thanks everyone!

Chances are you can sell the 125 for what you paid if it's still in the same condition. So buy it and if a 250 comes up, get it and sell the 125.

I make it a practice to always buy my next bike before selling the current one. Never without a bike that way.

I have a 2010 Ninja 250 for sale. Just getting the price from the wife can't remember how much she wanted. I PM'd you.

Last edited:
Quoted about $480 for the 125 and $590 for the 250. pretty reasonable!
thanks everyone!
This is how brain washed we are, believing we are getting a good deal when our annual insurance and plates cost is equal to 1/3rd the cost of the motorcycle and we are still happy about it. You have to really love the sport to afford it.
Guessing the bike is being sold uncertified, make sure you budget for that too.

I definitely wouldn't buy a 125, they are absolutely gutless past 1st gear. I think it's a really boring bike you would be frustrated on in no time. A 250 will give you significantly more power while still being beginner friendly. I'm also fairly certain the used parts market for 250's is much larger than the 125. All that being said, finding a 250 for that cheap might be tricky. I'd say save up some more and find a 2008+ Ninja 250. I bought my first bike (2010 Ninja 250) for $2700 at 16 years old back in 2013 and loved it. Had an absolute blast with it!

The nice thing about these bikes is they reach a point where they don't really depreciate any more (within reason). I sold my 250 after having it for 2 years and putting 30,000kms on it for $3200

Some decent deals here. I'd think you could negotiate any one of these down to $1500ish.

Please view this ad:

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250ZZR,

Price: $ 1,800

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Please view this ad:

spring special-2009 blue mint shape 250 Kawasaki ninja,

Price: $ 1,800

Please view this ad:

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r,

Price: $ 1,700

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Hi
Tax <- don't forget they want to collect sales tax on your purchase when you go to purchase the vehicle abstract and plates, along with having your certificate of fitness and proof of insurance in hand.

Can you enlighten me abstract part? I seem to have missed that step i guess? I went on the link but dont recall ever reading about that. Understanding was safety, insurance and get plated.

Thanks!

Hi

Can you enlighten me abstract part? I seem to have missed that step i guess? I went on the link but dont recall ever reading about that. Understanding was safety, insurance and get plated.

Thanks!
When you go to register the bike at Service Ontario you will have to purchase a UVIP (used vehicle information package). It contains info about liens, condition etc. The seller is supposed to provide it, many dont. It is available at any service Ontario or online. The cost is $20.

When you go to register the bike at Service Ontario you will have to purchase a UVIP (used vehicle information package). It contains info about liens, condition etc. The seller is supposed to provide it, many dont. It is available at any service Ontario or online. The cost is $20.

It's actually a chargeable HTA offence if the seller does not provide the UVIP. I have always provided one, but never been provided one when purchasing. If you don't personally know the seller, I pick up the UVIP before handing over the majority of the money so I don't get stuck with something with a lien (or a dodgy curbsider).

Back
Top Bottom