Looking for reliable mechanic for older Honda CB750 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for reliable mechanic for older Honda CB750

How many miles/kms ?
This doesn't sound like a tune up issue.
Check compression, no squeeze = major teardown.
Major motor work is a wallet drainer.
Yeah, which I'm not willing to do. I'm willing to toss some money at someone to inspect it and toss a bit more if it's a few hours work or whatever but a majory rebuild, no way.

Please dont say pods. Please dont say pods. Please dont say pods. :)

Guy I bought from used to be a mechanic and works on his own bikes. I trust him.

4. Carb adjust and timing, new air filter
5. Running a Dyna Coil
6. Stock airbox with new air filter

When I see the compression numbers are all the same I will believe the carburetors were adjusted and not just cleaned to sell.

It’s good you have basically a stock airbox setup.

If he didn’t check valve clearances and compression I would start there. I had what sounded like a noisy cam chain on my CB350f that was actually a symptom of bad exhaust valve clearance on two cylinders.

I would also re-check the carb settings and timing, as well as the health of the entire electronics system.

You still haven’t told us how many miles are on the bike.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy I bought from used to be a mechanic and works on his own bikes. I trust him.

4. Carb adjust and timing, new air filter
5. Running a Dyna Coil
6. Stock airbox with new air filter

why not contact him for either more details on the bike or hire him for it

It’s good you have basically a stock airbox setup.

If he didn’t check valve clearances and compression I would start there. I had what sounded like a noisy cam chain on my CB350f that was actually a symptom of bad exhaust valve clearance on two cylinders.

I would also re-check the carb settings and timing, as well as the health of the entire electronics system.

You still haven’t told us how many miles are on the bike.

Where are you located?

Mileage is roughly 30k miles. I live East York near Woodbine and Danforth.

1. All plugs are fouling, but 2 and 3 are the worst
2. 1,2,3 are carbon fouled and 4 is sometimes a bit wet
3. All four cylinders work and fire. The pipes at the back don't get super hot but they are blazing hot up near the engine
4. Guy I bought it from did a quick tuneup on the bike a month or so back but the noise from the engine has shown up after this.

Your bike is very likely running rich. The carbon and the hot exhaust headers are a dead giveaway. If your bike is high mileage you could be in need of a new timing chain also, usually the rattle is a giveaway. The chain can be replaced because the part is readily available. If you continue to run the engine rich those exhaust headers will change colour and crack. They are out of production and second hand sellers will rip you off for a set of crappers. Most shops can do the work. Finding any other parts could be a problem.

The rattle could simply be an out-of-adjustment cam chain and the tensioner is stuck which is a common issue.

If carbs were ever “rebuilt” with aftermarket carb kits, they can cause all sorts of tuning issues (needle tapers are off, jet sizes not perfect, poor quality o-rings). The original brass is often best cleaned and re-installed.

There was a bad period for Dyna ignitions on CB750s with a high failure rate. They can have intermittent problems and can be a challenge to diagnose as they only start to act up when hot and test good when cold.

Poor resistance in the spark plug caps and wires can cause weak spark/ignition and carbon fouling.

There could be one issue, or multiple issues. A lot of things can and should be checked/adjusted before opening up the carbs and motor. The easy checks only cost time if you already have all the tools.

If the OP lived closer to me, and the bike was rideable, I would have already offered to help the rider out.

Btw, parts availability on these old CBs is quite healthy if you know the right sources and the right people.

So he is looking for a great vintage bike mechanic, that knows all the right sources and the right people to get all the parts for his vintage Honda and works super cheap (y) post an add in the CVMG newsletter, you might get super lucky.

So he is looking for a great vintage bike mechanic, that knows all the right sources and the right people to get all the parts for his vintage Honda and works super cheap (y) post an add in the CVMG newsletter, you might get super lucky.
Where are you getting those words from? I asked if anyone knows a good and reliable mechanic. I didn't say anything about wanting it cheap or wanting them to source vintage parts for me.

Where are you getting those words from? I asked if anyone knows a good and reliable mechanic. I didn't say anything about wanting it cheap or wanting them to source vintage parts for me.
Elsewhere in the thread, I was serious about the add in CVMG, that's where you will find the guys that have the time, knowledge and maybe even the parts you need.

The problem with hiring a motorcycle mechanic to work on your bike at close to a hundred bucks an hour is that you are going to be paying him that much an hour to search and organize the required expensive parts and shipping etc.

Two issues. First issue is that it recently started making some rattle like sounds from the bottom right of the engine. I've tried adjusting the cam chain tensioner a number of times but this has not helped. Second issue is carbon fouling of plugs and needing to pull them often to either a)clean em or b)change em.

I'm not super mechanically inclined and this is my running bike I'd like to keep running. If I start working on it myself I know it'll take me all summer and then the riding season is over.

Riding an old bike, there are three things you need. A shop manual(easy to download for free of the web), a bike specific forum for advise and information and some basic tools. Otherwise, you might as well get a newer bike and just ride. If you have no mechanical skills a vintage bike is not for you.

Riding an old bike, there are three things you need. A shop manual(easy to download for free of the web), a bike specific forum for advise and information and some basic tools. Otherwise, you might as well get a newer bike and just ride. If you have no mechanical skills a vintage bike is not for you.

Enthusiast motorcycles.

You have to be enthusiastic to work with them lots and exercise them frequently.

Words of wisdom (y)

Back
Top Bottom