Looking for group going to Tuktoyaktuk / Alaska in 2023 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for group going to Tuktoyaktuk / Alaska in 2023

Farook

The title says it all, don't rally want to do this alone and just looking to see if there is any interest in a trip like this.
I figure by the time a group gets together it will take some time and planning so that's why the early start on this.
any interest please post up and we can meet together to discuss and plan for next year.
thank you. I'm thinking a group of 3 to 5 would be fine.. I don't believe any special experience is needed as I don't have any.
And safety is #1 with me always. thank you and hope a group can come together for this. thanks

DSP has a lot of experience up there. Talk to Clint.

Now that will be quite the trip!
Best of luck with your plans.

My old boss and his buddy did the ride to Tuk on large displacement ADV bikes the first year the Dempster was open for summer use.
Lotsa big gravel and gas stations were few and far between. It's entirely doable, just plan ahead for every contingency.
Combining that with a trip through to Alaska might be too big a bite IMO, maybe two separate trips are in order ?

thanks everyone I'll keep revisiting this post every now and again just in case someone is interested between now and next year.

It sounds like Dempsters HWY is similar to James Bay HWY. 700 stretch of road with only 1 service station mid way (400 k) Eagles plain. Basically all gravel.

It sounds like Dempsters HWY is similar to James Bay HWY. 700 stretch of road with only 1 service station mid way (400 k) Eagles plain. Basically all gravel.
Except that JBH is paved...more like the Trans Taiga ;)

A buddy of mine has done the trip several times and plans on doing it again this year.
As somebody mentioned...if you have (and are willing to spend) the $$$ DSP runs an organized trip out that way.
They take care of all the logistics all you have to do is fly out there.
DUALSPORT PLUS MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURE TOURS

Last edited:
Except that JBH is paved...more like the Trans Taiga ;)
Yes better example. Well apparently the last 6 k's into Tuk is paved ..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Also the gravel they use is a bit different.
I'm curious with gravel does the road still have frost heaves? JBH was brutal.

Edit: I've just been doing a bit more research. I don't think my bike is suitable for the last bit of road north of Inuvik to Tuk. My bike is too heavy/top heavy. Plastic is expensive, too. Plans might have to be altered but it would be a bummer to go out west and north and not do the last bit.

I've been tossing the idea around for a trip this summer to Tuktoyaktuk. I've ridden west and then south to San Diego before, so I think a right turn instead might be in order this time around.
I'm riding a darksided Yamaha FJR1300 and I'm no stranger to gravel and sand with it. My only concern is the road which is described as having "big" gravel. If there is a first hand description of that road or a video, I'd like to check it out.
I'll be on Manitoulin Island the first week of July. So leaving at the end of that week would be ideal. It might be possible to go before so I'm back and on Manitoulin by around the July long weekend, but that might still be too cold in the arctic. The only other open spot I have is the second half of August.
So let me know where you are in planning and what your thoughts on it are at this time. Maybe we can throw something together.

Last edited:
Can you actually drive / ride to Tuktoyaktuk in the summer? I drove to Inuvik in 1986 and you had to fly in to Tuktoyaktuk, about a 20 minute flight. You could only drive in on an ice road during the winter. Warning, the bugs are absolutely brutal along the Dempster, avoid breakdowns or running out of gas at all costs.I was there at the end of July and the weather was quite nice.

Edit: I've just been doing a bit more research. I don't think my bike is suitable for the last bit of road north of Inuvik to Tuk. My bike is too heavy/top heavy. Plastic is expensive, too. Plans might have to be altered but it would be a bummer to go out west and north and not do the last bit.

I've been tossing the idea around for a trip this summer to Tuktoyaktuk. I've ridden west and then south to San Diego before, so I think a right turn instead might be in order this time around.
I'm riding a darksided Yamaha FJR1300 and I'm no stranger to gravel and sand with it. My only concern is the road which is described as having "big" gravel. If there is a first hand description of that road or a video, I'd like to check it out.
I'll be on Manitoulin Island the first week of July. So leaving at the end of that week would be ideal. It might be possible to go before so I'm back and on Manitoulin by around the July long weekend, but that might still be too cold in the arctic. The only other open spot I have is the second half of August.
So let me know where you are in planning and what your thoughts on it are at this time. Maybe we can throw something together.
I don’t think you would want to do the Dempster highway on an FJ1300 , at least I wouldn’t. It’s a long stretch of pretty rough road. I don’t think you could get up to speed on a big heavy bike like that.The FJ just wasn’t made for roads like that.

Can you actually drive / ride to Tuktoyaktuk in the summer? I drove to Inuvik in 1986 and you had to fly in to Tuktoyaktuk, about a 20 minute flight. You could only drive in on an ice road during the winter.

The Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk "highway" was put in in 2017. It's been closed a couple of times since then for repairs but I think it's open now.

Back
Top Bottom