Looking for an expert to critique my riding & leaning skills | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for an expert to critique my riding & leaning skills

Update:

I did some tryouts today (no donuts) and found out I have a problem with 2 specific maneuvers:

1. Parking lots where you enter nose-in do a turn and stop at an angle in the next space (illustration below). In this case, I noticed I'm still leaning when I stop and that's off-putting my balance. I did try counter-balancing, but today being slippery and finger-numbing chilly I gave up after I fell (the fairing took deep scratches😔)

1696805092662.png

2. Starting from a stop directly into a turn with the handlebar turned all the way. I noticed if there is no forward momentum when I'm in an upright position, I'm unable to do the turn. I feel this is definitely because of the weight as I was able to do this on lighter bikes I used to ride back home.

I noticed it doesn't matter left or right-side turning. I summed it up as a "problem when stopping while in lean or starting directly into lean".

Check this YouTube channel - MotoControl.
He has a lot of practical exercises with detailed explanations. He also demonstrates that basic techniques works the same on a huge cruser or small 125cc…

Update:

I did some tryouts today (no donuts) and found out I have a problem with 2 specific maneuvers:

1. Parking lots where you enter nose-in do a turn and stop at an angle in the next space (illustration below). In this case, I noticed I'm still leaning when I stop and that's off-putting my balance. I did try counter-balancing, but today being slippery and finger-numbing chilly I gave up after I fell (the fairing took deep scratches😔)

View attachment 63654

2. Starting from a stop directly into a turn with the handlebar turned all the way. I noticed if there is no forward momentum when I'm in an upright position, I'm unable to do the turn. I feel this is definitely because of the weight as I was able to do this on lighter bikes I used to ride back home.

I noticed it doesn't matter left or right-side turning. I summed it up as a "problem when stopping while in lean or starting directly into lean".

Update:

View attachment 63654

Been there done that many times. These are slow speed maneuvers you should be upright. The lean comes when you speed up. You can make turns at intersections? Now you just have to tighten them up a bit. Practice the slow cone weave to get a good feel on how the start of your turn should be. Get that down pat and then start increasing your speed. If it takes you half the parking lot to make a u turn so what, keep practicing it will be reduced to a 1/4 of the lot, eventually down to 24'. Take baby steps before you try putting a knee down. Practice, Practice, Practice.

This might help you with turns. Not only does he show you but explains what he is doing with the controls of the bike and body position etc.
I had another video but I can't find it right now.

This channel might be good to check out further for other riding tips.

Consider doing a day at Gopher dunes; they have rental dirt bikes. Their trails are easy/fun and there's a big grass field you can practice slow maneuvers in. Great to do on a dirt bike since nothing happens if you drop it and it's a really low stress environment

Consider doing a day at Gopher dunes; they have rental dirt bikes. Their trails are easy/fun and there's a big grass field you can practice slow maneuvers in. Great to do on a dirt bike since nothing happens if you drop it and it's a really low stress environment
This is great! Definitely going to do it.

Back
Top Bottom