Loan me a loading ramp for a 12 pack? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loan me a loading ramp for a 12 pack?

orange and black FTW!

6KMChg2.jpg

I like the cam buckle better then the ratchet, ratchets are a pain to release once they invariably get all coil bound, then they pinch your finger and then you swear and fire the #$%^ thing on the dirt.

cam buckle

I don't think you can get these as tight as the ratchet type. at least not in my experience.

There are some high end ratchet types that work better. A little more expensive.
I don't use these often enough to justify the extra cost.

Ratchet jams. And the teeth eating the straps if you're not careful

I think its a matte of working with the ones you have and knowing what to do or not to do in order to keep them from jamming or eating the belt.

I try to lubricate the mechanism if I feel like it will be tough to work with.

I don't think you can get these as tight as the ratchet type. at least not in my experience.
It's not a winch, next time try pushing down on the bike before you pull it tight ;)

I use rachet to load but cam buckles to unload if by my self. I can sit on the bike and release the cam with one hand will sitting on the bike. Put cam over rachet then remove rachet. As for crushed thumb nail from Fing rachet it's still not grown out 6 month later. No bitter at all.

I use these retracting ratcheting straps and love them. Pretty idiot-proof, too.
8292625.jpg

I had and still have a few. Eventually they stop working. Lasted a few years but rain gets inside or snow. I recommend getting one inch hooks for either style. Otherwise buy a couple of one inch hooks or axle straps for biggercruiser or birt bike bars. The axle straps go on sale for as low as $3.99 regularly.

1 in. Rubber Coated Hook | Princess Auto

2 in. x 2 ft 5,000 lb Axle Strap | Princess Auto

No problems with mine, but I'll take a closer look at the mechanism and keep an eye out for corrosion.

Still way to much thinking going into this. Ratchet straps are a pia.I have hauled every thing from a 900lb wing to a145lb trialer with these. Soft loops around the bars or lower triple clamp, and carabiners in the truck. No need to compress the suspension any more than an inch or two.
https://m.fortnine.ca/media/catalog...ster/carabineer-soft-hook-tiedowns-100537.jpg

That's the perfect basic setup if you're on a budget. Cheap ratchet straps are definitely a PIA (and all of mine were cheap), but these Ericksons are awesome - one-handed operation to release and never jams. I've used them all, and for me the extra cost for never having to untangle, tie up, or match the two halves of the straps is priceless. I'm lazy and willing to pay for it! Love the carabiners and was thinking about replacing my hooks with them, and then yes, you would only need enough tension to keep the wheel in the chock. My trailer has no suspension, and the problem I found is when not compressing the suspension enough on a bike with soft suspension, it can compress further over a large enough bump and the hooks can come loose. It's only happened to me once when I was towing through a pothole-ridden dirt road so this is probably an extreme example. I always tie the front wheel to the chock now as an added measure.

Back
Top Bottom