Lithium Ion Battery Charging | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lithium Ion Battery Charging

PaisaMed

Has anyone ever rigged up a power tool battery charger to charge a lithium bike battery?

Just buy a proper lifepo4 charger, lithium fires are no joke.
Agree. Charger should be constant current, constant voltage. Tool charger expects a lot smaller battery. It would probably work in a pinch but may not have as many safeguards as iirc it connects to a thermistor in the tool battery. Vehicle chargers could (but may not) have more smarts on the line to watch for issues.

Forget about that idea.

This is the first time in 4 years that I have needed a battery charger and all because I left the bike too long between start ups.

Can I deliver my lithium battery to a fellow GTAMer for a courtesy charge?

Forget about that idea.

This is the first time in 4 years that I have needed a battery charger and all because I left the bike too long between start ups.

Bump start and let the bike charge it? Or it's so dead that the computer won't wake up? I'm not even sure if this is a great idea with a lithium battery even if you could do it.

The only charger I have that will do lithium charges at 26A. That seems too spicy for a bike (especially when coming from dead).

Forget about that idea.

For $50 you can buy the proper charger, as well as do conventional lead acid batteries. Don't cheap out, do it right.

Forget about that idea.

If you're near Guelph I have a few chargers that could charge it up

Sent from the future

Has anyone ever rigged up a power tool battery charger to charge a lithium bike battery?
I haven't used Lifepo4s on a bike, don't they have an internal bms? My boat batteries are drop in for lead said, if they hit zero, I just jump them with another battery to power the bms, then flick on the charger.

The good ones have an internal BMS and need nothing more than a regular dumb charger to get them going. The cheap ones ... well, you don't get what you don't pay for.

You can't just go by price, because Shorai is one of the more expensive ones and they have no BMS, contrary to a motorcycle.com article floating around there that is giving false info.

I bought a Noco from Princess Auto earlier this year when they had them on sale for $30 off, plus I had a 15% off coupon from Christmas. Still in the box, though, since my Ballistic from 2015 is still going strong. Ironically, that one has no BMS either, but has been rock solid just charging from the bike's charging system, and topping up with an Optimate 4s between rides.

Back
Top Bottom