Lightning strike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lightning strike

I was pondering whether to retire my carbon fiber helmets for a polycarbonate version.

I was pondering whether to retire my carbon fiber helmets for a polycarbonate version.
That's an interesting question. If your helmet was very conductive it should provide a faraday cage to protect your head but may be more likely to get struck. If you really wanted to make a safer ride (to reduce the very close to zero chance of getting hit to closer to zero), I would put a lightning rod/flag on the bike. Something taller than the rider, conductive with a pointy top so a strike hits the bike not your head. Honestly, I cant see lightning protection as a criteria I even think about when looking at helmets.

Hmmm... I never considered the carbon-fiber helmet / faraday cage effect.

Maybe that's why I feel my brain energized after a brisk ride through rush-hour traffic? I thought it was the adrenaline. Maybe my helmet blocks the government programming?

v5TtsbY.jpg

Is there anything else to watch out for?

“If you're in a vehicle and an overhead power line comes down on top of the vehicle, stay inside and call 911.”

Man survives a collision, only to be electrocuted. Terrible way to go.

Motivation to keep your feet up on the pegs at a dead stop ;)

In all seriousness, tires coming loose and flying over into opposing traffic seems to be frequent. Two serious-injury incidents on Hwy 400 in as many weeks (not sure how many tires fly off and _don't_ hit someone).

M17oeK9.gif

In all seriousness, tires coming loose and flying over into opposing traffic seems to be frequent. Two serious-injury incidents on Hwy 400 in as many weeks (not sure how many tires fly off and _don't_ hit someone).
Had one chase me down the 401 once, that one missed me (y)

Had a spare truck tire spit out between the rear wheels of a transport on icy roads once :/ couldn't miss that one and the truck driver fled the scene. ... truck had RD RD RD RD written all across the back of the trailer :/ phoned the RD RD RD RD people but strangely enough they did not want to admit to missing any spare transport truck tires.

Motivation to keep your feet up on the pegs at a dead stop ;)
Trying to figure out how that would work, training wheels?

Edit: apparently someone has already figured it out.

Trying to figure out how that would work, training wheels?

Edit: apparently someone has already figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom