LED tire valve cap on motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

LED tire valve cap on motorcycles

sundancekid

Banned
Ok so my non-rider friend and I were talking about reflective rim tape. He suggested that I augment my visibility by adding LED valve caps to both tires.

I'm seeking feedback about whether it's over the top tacky/rice. Also whether (aside from aesthetics) there are any pros or cons (potential legality issues) to using them.

If you're not sure about what the product looks like you can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/455ycwr

Tried them on my cruiser-cons were they never worked half the time. You couldn't see them on the rear due to the design of my cruiser and lack of visibility and as I said half the time they didn't work. They're suposed to activate as soon the the wheel created momentment but didn't work a lot of the time. In my opinion they're a waste of money.

Mine die way too quick, also got told bt Ken tht they can throw off the balance a little.

Tried a pair of tire LEDs. The first one never made on the valve stem, and the other one died 2 days later.

Piece of advice - If you can buy the accessories at Canadian Tire, Walmart or Zellers..........it's tacky.

I have reflective rim tape and its great. I didn't get it for safety but people tell me its bright in the night.
Here it is reflecting the light from the flash of the camera.

IMG-1.jpg

Last edited:
Do whatever you like dude, it's your own bike. They're not legal btw.

Now, i wanted to touch on the 'increasing visibilty' reasoning with LED light additions found in many threads.

Do ppl really think the light that comes from LED accent kits and even these valve stem kits increase visibilty to keep them safer?

I've been on a ride with other bikes who have much brighter LED kits than mine and when there's no streetlights, you can barely see the led's at a distance. By the time you can, it's probably too late.

And aside from that, if you're oncoming, (Let's not get into if you have poorly installed HID kits), the headlight will wash out anything else for the driver.

And it might wreck the valve stem and leave you stranded with a flat tire. I was on a ride once where it happened to someone. It wasn't an LED tire fly, but something similar.

I've seen metal valve stem caps seize on cars....

http://www.locomolife.com/store/ind...ducts_id=724&zenid=njn0oq0vm9vb7o4optlbde5rc7

Hey bud,

I got mine from here. They actually look alot better than expected. These ones cover more area so it gives it a fuller look rather than just a bead of light. The battery life is quite good, replacing them roughly once a month for optimum brightness. Although, that's from riding at night all the time and stupidly leaving them on during the day =P
There's a vid in the link if you want to check it out. It will light up continusously, it doesn't flash. The centripical force will keep the LED's lit. Hope it works out!

Who cares what other people think? Some people will find it awesome, some will find it tacky. How do YOU want to personalize yer ride?

Last edited:
+1 for what strictlye said
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAtMjAxMDA4MTAtMTIwNS5qcGc.jpg

e30ninja.jpg

You won't have to worry about batteries and other hassles (like it possibly affecting balancing?)

You can put playing cards between your spokes too to make a noise!

+1 for rim tape and black reflective tape, there's tons of places you can find to put a patch of black reflective tape on that won't spoil the aesthetics of your bike.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have rim tape on the wheels already and I love the way it looks in the day and night. Originally I was considering the valve caps for a little extra pop, but for the time being I think I'll hold off as I'd hate for the caps to result in tire balance issues and or unexpected failure of the valve stem.

I ride with one on myrear tire... 90% of the time it doesn't work, but when it does it looks nice

Back
Top Bottom