Lane positioning for turns. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane positioning for turns.

Old_Thumper

Hi, I will be doing my M2 exit test soon and have a number of questions I hope someone qualified can answer that center around lane positioning and turns.
The MTO handbook describes a couple of scenarios but I have thought of some that are unclear or perhaps I am getting confused by watching too many YouTube videos and getting conflicting information. (My questions also are specific to Ontario in case of conflict with any other jurisdiction)

I will use the term P1 for the left tire track and P3 for the right tire track

1.Turning left from a four lane road (two lanes in one direction) onto another four lane road (basically two intersecting boulevards) the handbook advised I remain in my blocking position (P3) in the passing lane, make the turn into the blocking position (P3) of the passing lane of the other road (then I would normally shoulder check and move over to the blocking track (P1) of the right lane.

If however there are the two unidirectional lanes of the boulevard I am traveling on but toward the intersection there is an additional third turn left only lane. Which tire track do I choose after entering the turn left only lane? Do I maintain a P3 position in the turning lane or do I move over to P1? I have seen conflicting information on the web from places that are not Ontario. P1 would give me the best view of oncoming traffic especially if the opposite direction also has a turn only lane and there is a vehicle in it, stopped waiting to turn.

2. Same two lane boulevard I am traveling on, in the right lane in P1 only now, approaching the intersection with another boulevard I want to turn right. I see that I have an additional right turn only lane coming up with a yield sign. What I do now is I signal a move to the right from P1 , mirror, shoulder check, then move to the right turn lane in P1, slow check oncoming traffic in the boulevard I am joining, merge moving into P1 of the right lane of the new road. Am I doing anything wrong?
Again, the booklet does not describe what if anything to do in these type of dedicated lanes.

Sorry to ask but I want to pass my M2 exit test and I hear no matter how much I bobble my head I will probably loose points for not looking (even though I did) I can't afford to make many other mistakes.

Cheers and thanks for any help.

To be honest I think you might be worrying about the lane positioning way too much, you are still in your designated lane, right?
because in real life you are going to be throwing in manhole covers, pot holes, streetcar tracks and pedestrian traffic. You won't be losing points for silly stuff in your test unless you rode so good they had to come up with something like lane positioning in your own lane to give you grief over.

They are looking for you to have good operational control over your motorcycle in all situations, that is way more important. (y) ride good.

Hi, I will be doing my M2 exit test soon and have a number of questions I hope someone qualified can answer that center around lane positioning and turns.
The MTO handbook describes a couple of scenarios but I have thought of some that are unclear or perhaps I am getting confused by watching too many YouTube videos and getting conflicting information. (My questions also are specific to Ontario in case of conflict with any other jurisdiction)

I will use the term P1 for the left tire track and P3 for the right tire track

1.Turning left from a four lane road (two lanes in one direction) onto another four lane road (basically two intersecting boulevards) the handbook advised I remain in my blocking position (P3) in the passing lane, make the turn into the blocking position (P3) of the passing lane of the other road (then I would normally shoulder check and move over to the blocking track (P1) of the right lane.

If however there are the two unidirectional lanes of the boulevard I am traveling on but toward the intersection there is an additional third turn left only lane. Which tire track do I choose after entering the turn left only lane? Do I maintain a P3 position in the turning lane or do I move over to P1? I have seen conflicting information on the web from places that are not Ontario. P1 would give me the best view of oncoming traffic especially if the opposite direction also has a turn only lane and there is a vehicle in it, stopped waiting to turn.

2. Same two lane boulevard I am traveling on, in the right lane in P1 only now, approaching the intersection with another boulevard I want to turn right. I see that I have an additional right turn only lane coming up with a yield sign. What I do now is I signal a move to the right from P1 , mirror, shoulder check, then move to the right turn lane in P1, slow check oncoming traffic in the boulevard I am joining, merge moving into P1 of the right lane of the new road. Am I doing anything wrong?
Again, the booklet does not describe what if anything to do in these type of dedicated lanes.

Sorry to ask but I want to pass my M2 exit test and I hear no matter how much I bobble my head I will probably loose points for not looking (even though I did) I can't afford to make many other mistakes.

Cheers and thanks for any help.
1)Blocking P3 in turn lane and intersection. If you can't see then wait.
2)Personally i would mirrors>shoulder check>P3 right lane, then mirrors>indicate>shoulder check>P1 turn lane>mirrors>yield/slow for traffic>turn into P1 new right lane>mirrors.

1. In a left turn lane with a straight through lane to your right. You'd start in the right tire track. If you're turning to a two through lane road, you end in the right tire track of the left lane. Mirror check. Signal. Blind spot check. Move over. You mirror check first to make sure it's clear, before your signal. If it's not clear, you wait, accelerate/decelerate and mirror check again. If it's into a single through lane, then you turn into the left tire track of the through lane. The reason you start in the right track of the left turn lane, is that vehicles are more likely to get to the intersection, and say oh ****, I need to turn here and try to move into your lane. If you're in the left tire track, they can invade your space.

2. Mirror check, signal, blind spot check, move over, look left, right, left, blind spot check, then into the left tire track of the rightmost lane. Assuming it's a yield and your way is clear. It's basically a lane change to get into the turn lane, or on/off a highway ramp. If it's a red light you mirror check, signal, stop, behind the line, mirror check, look left, right, left, blind spot and go.

Make sure you're only traveling over dotted lines during your lane changes.

If you mess up at some point, don't fret too much, as they only mark specific areas, so it might not count.

Last edited:
... and then the light turns green and as the transport truck ahead of you takes off, his fifth wheel hitch tilts rearward and 3 pounds of fresh black grease plops on the road in front of you :eek:

... and then the light turns green and as the transport truck ahead of you takes off, his fifth wheel hitch tilts rearward and 3 pounds of fresh black grease plops on the road in front of you :eek:
So, you go around it and at most, it's a point.

Thanks for the help guys. Your answers confirmed what I have been doing is right. As an example I guess I found things like this that confused me:
Especially the example Position 5A and Position 6

So, you go around it and at most, it's a point.
If a ride tester gives you a demerit for going one wheel track off line to miss a blob of grease, a wet manhole cover or anything else on the road, the tester needs their head examined. Surviving public roads on a motorcycle is tough enough without the bureaucrats making up imaginary rules of engagement just because motorcycles do not require a full 8 foot wide lane. It's your lane, use it as you deem safe and appropriate.

Blocking traffic with your motorcycle :/ the term was obviously created by somebody that has never been rear ended on their motorcycle, trust me cars hurt when they hit you from behind and motorcycles do not have bumpers.

These lane positioning diagrams are best practice theory's at best..

Last edited:
stop signs - complete stop, both feet down? and head check
school zone - don't think it matters school is in or not - watch your speed
bike - make sure all lights are working.
you got this!

Thanks for the help guys. Your answers confirmed what I have been doing is right. As an example I guess I found things like this that confused me:
Especially the example Position 5A and Position 6
You're looking at Saskatchewan's handbook. Look at Ontario's: https://www.ontario.ca/document/off...ycle-handbook/getting-your-motorcycle-licence
Try not to put both feet down, left foot only is the standard. Your brake light must stay on while you are stopped at a red light. Obviously, if you're going to tip over, it's better to potentially take a point than tip over.

Here's an essay I wrote a couple of years ago: Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! I don't test people, so it's just written to the best of my knowledge. If anyone has any additions or issues, let me know. There's also a copy of the checklist they used to mark people back then, somewhere in the thread.

Stop watching YouTube "how to ride" videos....I swear half of them are put out there by people who are not only unfit to instruct a kindergarten class, but many are just posting blatantly incorrect stuff. Hell, there's still people out there spreading the "How to lay down your bike in an emergency" crap like it's actually something you should know how to do and should be taught to others new to riding. Ugh.

It's all complicated by the fact that not every province/state follows the same rules.

Back
Top Bottom