Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 178 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Won't be at GB on Tues after my tumble at Bogie (lowside in #8, left shoulder and my head took most of it body wise. upper fairing a tad rough on bike). Was doubtful for end of month as well but we'll see.

re topic of getting track bike and what to get. 2 autumns ago I decided to return to track after 14 or so years away. My last track bike back then was a mostly stock EX500 or my road bike (Katana 750). I knew with my 250lb (without leathers) I needed suspension tweaking so my goal was to find a bike within my limited budget with aftermarket suspension with enough budget left to fix the little thingsand still afford some track days the following spring. I ended up with a 2000 ZX-6R ex SOAR race bike ($2000). I have also this season had a chance to ride a 2009 CBR600RR at Bogie. There were some moments at Bogie where my older bike didn't have the oomph to get past some newer (and larger) bikes but otherwise I can't complain about having an older (lesser?) bike. I'm definitely the limiting factor to going faster! So for a first dedicated track bike the only mod I would look at would be suspension (who cares about ECU and exhaust etc).
If you do get the first gen R6 one thing I learned this year, clean the carbs each spring even if you put it away properly and drained it etc. Reason I rode a 2009 CBR600RR at Bogie is because my bike crapped the bed at Pro6 TRAC school first of the season. Cleaned the carbs the week back from Bogie and bike ran fine.

Would I like a newer bike? Sure if someone wanted to give me one. The best track bike is the one you have. Get the newest/best you can within a budget that also gets you a bunch of seat time as seat time is the key to the fun. And personally I didn't really like the CBR600RR 'over the front wheel' seating position, especially with my largeish frame sitting 'on' the bike vs in the bike.

TTYL, Jeff

Well, one step closer to being on the track.
Picked up a used one-piece leather suit from someone who doesn't ride track any more.
(Tim, Randy and Dave - Jeremy Grub says hi.)
Hopefully there's no ugly surprises with the R6 on Tuesday. Then just boots and a SNELL rated helmet and I'm good to go!
Hell, maybe, just maybe, there's a chance I can squeeze in a track day before the end of this season.....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Picked up a used one-piece leather suit from someone who doesn't ride track any more.
Hopefully there's no ugly surprises with the R6 on Tuesday. Then just boots and a SNELL rated helmet and I'm good to go!
Hell, maybe, just maybe, there's a chance I can squeeze in a track day before the end of this season.....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Woo-Hoo! Exciting stuff! Come out on Aug 29th if you wanna come see some pro lines ;)

Good luck with the bike; hopefully it's all ready to go. I know the HJC CL16 was (maybe still is?) a fairly popular SNELL helmet for a relatively low price. I used to have one myself before updating to the CL17. They're pretty good for the price; no complaints.

Last edited:
layout for tomorrow is technical, according to Paul.

Thanks for forwarding the Hello! Hopefully his suit fits you decently - if I recall correctly, he's a fair bit taller than you.
As for snell, you don't really need one - the ECE 22.05 is also accepted. If you want a cheap one that passes snell, look at the HJC CL16(?) for about $125. GP Bikes also has their Bell Star helmets at significant discount right now - 50% in many cases, but don't know how much longer.

Depending on your foot size, I can loan you a pair of boots for a day if you want.
That way you can come and join us on the 29th!

Last edited:
I have Tim's old boots as spares, they would work for a couple of track days although they've been around the block. You can have them if u want them, no cost, size 11 or 11.5 I think

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I tried on the suit when I met up with Jetemy. Even though he's a good 3-4" taller than me it still fit nice and snug.
As for a helmet, HJC is the only brand I've found that I'm comfortable in all day. I was looking at getting the CL-17.
I appreciate the offer of the boots, I may just take you up on that if I don't find some when picking up a helmet.
I'll update tomorrow when I know if I've got a bike or not.

size 44US, so 10.5-11US

The CL17 is a great helmet. It's nice that they kept visor compatibility with some of the older models too. The visor is also super easy to take off - just 2 tabs to pop and off it comes. It is a pretty loud helmet however; I'd definitely suggest earplugs.

As for a helmet, HJC is the only brand I've found that I'm comfortable in all day. I was looking at getting the CL-17

Last edited:
The CL17 is a great helmet. It's nice that they kept visor compatibility with some of the older models too. The visor is also super easy to take off - just 2 tabs to pop and off it comes. It is a pretty loud helmet however; I'd definitely suggest earplugs.
There is no such thing as a quiet helmet. Earplugs are a good idea no matter the helmet.

There is no such thing as a quiet helmet. Earplugs are a good idea no matter the helmet.

Fair point, have you seen Sena's upcoming helmet? It is supposed to use active noise cancelling to make a truly silent helmet- I have my doubts but I'd be curious to see how it works out for them.

They came out with a intro video back in 2015 here.

Last edited:
That wouldn't be good! Not being able to hear anything around you, or your own bike would be very dangerous.

Never mind, just watched the video and they say you can still hear traffic around you.

Last edited:
Earplugs are for the weak!

J/k, I don't run track with them but I'm probably the only one

You're not the only one. I don't use them either.

J/k, I don't run track with them but I'm probably the only one

You're not the only one. I don't use them either.
The only time I don't use earplugs is when I'm puttering around town. At speeds any higher than that I find the wind noise too much.
I'm already deaf on one side and starting to lose hearing on the other so I want to preserve my hearing for as long as possible!

Hey Jeff... sorry to hear about your incident... how did the LS2 standup to the crash? You mentioned your head took a bunch of the impact...

Had an off today too...
GB had a delayed start (on track at 10:40am) due to ambulance not being there. Unclear as to why, but they issued us all with $25 coupons for future use (classy on GB's behalf!).
Track wasn't warm enough yet, the seagulls had unleashed their wrath on turns 2-4.... and I was going too quick through 2. My line was a bit off and I hit the bump, causing the suspension to get really unsettled and the front tucked.
Guy behind me was tight on my rear wheel, which he actually hit after my front tucked. As I tumbled I saw his bike pass by with my heel bouncing off his tail. He stayed upright until the grass and then dropped it himself.

Randy was kind enough to let me ride his CBR1000 for 2 sessions (in slow group - they were running slow and fast). Helped a few guys out with some lines to help make up for the green group passing rules. Made it kind of fun actually.

Damage to the KTM wasn't extraordinary or too expensive, but annoying. Tons of fibreglass damage (explain to me please, how the front nose fairing ended up with a big long hole on the right side when I went down on the left?!?!), left rearset is totally destroyed, kickstand totally kaput, bent clip on and the wind screen has a big crack, likely done.

New rear sets ordered, next is the rest of the work. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom