Kelpi exhaust, yay or nay? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kelpi exhaust, yay or nay?

OP - at the risk of offending, spend your hard earned dollars on suspension and tire upgrades, maybe some better riding kit and a race school or track days. THEN decide your big your d*ck is and what kind of performance mods you want to make.

OP - at the risk of offending, spend your hard earned dollars on suspension and tire upgrades, maybe some better riding kit and a race school or track days. THEN decide your big your d*ck is and what kind of performance mods you want to make.
I am pretty much content with my gear, suspension, tires and skills. The only thing that bothers me is the sound. I just want it to be a tad louder.

While I do not claim to be an expert in anything, I have ridden motorcycles with everything from stock exhaust, to a de-cat Yosh, to straight pipes.
I can understand your need for a bit more volume, but in my limited experience I find that that extra "noise" can grow to be annoying on long trips or on night rides etc. So my only advise is to ensure you find the right system to meet (but not exceed) what you are looking for. A full exhaust will add no value to your motorcycle and in some case can hurt re-sale value etc. Also be sure your insurance accepts modifications and try to ensure it meets noise by-laws etc.

While I do not claim to be an expert in anything, I have ridden motorcycles with everything from stock exhaust, to a de-cat Yosh, to straight pipes.
I can understand your need for a bit more volume, but in my limited experience I find that that extra "noise" can grow to be annoying on long trips or on night rides etc. So my only advise is to ensure you find the right system to meet (but not exceed) what you are looking for. A full exhaust will add no value to your motorcycle and in some case can hurt re-sale value etc. Also be sure your insurance accepts modifications and try to ensure it meets noise by-laws etc.
Totally fair. Somebody mentioned about the insurance thing earlier and I still gotta check that (honestly, didn't even think about it).
There is definitely a degree of fear for me for being annoyed at the new exhaust. I used to have a CB300R and slapped a some kind of ebay pipe on it which I got rid of a couple of months later because how awful it was. If only these pipes didn't cost like 3rd of a motorcycle lol.
I am still on the fence about it because stock doesn't sound tooooo bad. Planning to go to a bike meet and try to find the same bike with 3rd party exhausts.

Totally fair. Somebody mentioned about the insurance thing earlier and I still gotta check that (honestly, didn't even think about it).
There is definitely a degree of fear for me for being annoyed at the new exhaust. I used to have a CB300R and slapped a some kind of ebay pipe on it which I got rid of a couple of months later because how awful it was. If only these pipes didn't cost like 3rd of a motorcycle lol.
I am still on the fence about it because stock doesn't sound tooooo bad. Planning to go to a bike meet and try to find the same bike with 3rd party exhausts.
If you are purely chasing noise and not performance or looks, tt is sometimes possible to open the factory muffler and modify the guts. Remove a baffle, remove some packing, etc. Put it back together and as far as anyone can tell, it is stock. While the muffler is off, it may be worthwhile firing it up to see what the sound is like at the back of the cat. You may find that you don't want much more attenuation.

I am anti loud street bikes. The louder bikes are, the more public uproar and restrictions we all face.

One option you could look into is to simply de-cat your current exhaust. A lot of companies make de-cat pipes, this could add the extra growl you want?

One option you could look into is to simply de-cat your current exhaust. A lot of companies make de-cat pipes, this could add the extra growl you want?
Is it ok to trust Ali with that? :D
Sounds like a very viable solution tbh. Don't have to drop 1k+ on a pipe that I might not like.

Actually, might not really work because seems like stock is a one piece 🤔

Last edited:
Is it ok to trust Ali with that? :D
Sounds like a very viable solution tbh. Don't have to drop 1k+ on a pipe that I might not like.

Actually, might not really work because seems like stock is a one piece 🤔
Just links I found via a google search. As with anything buyer be aware and beware...
Sorry I know nothing about the bike you own, I am sure other could assist..

I just renewed my insurance. They asked if there were any modifications to the bike(s). My fear would be that if something were to happen where you had to engage with the insurance company they could use the modification to void the policy and not cover you because you modified the bike.
Personally I don't think it's worth it, and you said you're hesitant because it doesn't sound "too bad" and you're balking (understandably) at some of the prices you've found.

Feel like there might be some fuddy-duddy's around here :LOL:
You ride a motorcycle for fun. If more noise means more fun for you, and you have the expendable income, go for it. (straight piping might be a little much)
I say enjoy having no emissions controls and more noise while you can, because I will agree - with the way we're accelerating towards more Orwellian laws, you won't be able to do it in 5-10 years.

Reached out to my insurer and asked about the muffler situation. Was told that a slip on is fine but full system is a no go. Sucks in my situation.
So do people, who install full systems, risk with their coverage? In case it gets damaged, stolen, etc. Or are there companies that do actually insure these bikes but the coverage is much higher?

Reached out to my insurer and asked about the muffler situation. Was told that a slip on is fine but full system is a no go. Sucks in my situation.
So do people, who install full systems, risk with their coverage? In case it gets damaged, stolen, etc. Or are there companies that do actually insure these bikes but the coverage is much higher?
I guess the risk is if you do it without letting insurance know.
When I had my HD I let insurance know about new full exhaust that is how the bike came to me. No issues at all (Never mentioned I still had stock exhaust system)

Feel like there might be some fuddy-duddy's around here :LOL:
You ride a motorcycle for fun. If more noise means more fun for you, and you have the expendable income, go for it. (straight piping might be a little much)
I say enjoy having no emissions controls and more noise while you can, because I will agree - with the way we're accelerating towards more Orwellian laws, you won't be able to do it in 5-10 years.
Orwell liked playing with explosives. Maybe he liked loud pipes.

I can do without the coffee can full of nuts rattle of a Duc thank you very much... to the point where my dry clutch Ducs have the Barnett "quiet" kit (one thick steel plate that goes on top and muffles all the rattling)
But the loudest exhaust I have ever heard was the stock Silentium pipes found on the early bevels. The thing would set off burglar alarms for blocks. Open pipes are quieter... those mufflers AMPLIFY the noise.

Back
Top Bottom