Keep my 05 CBR 600rr or get a 2008 r6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Keep my 05 CBR 600rr or get a 2008 r6

Domon

Site Supporter
Hey guys thinking of getting a newer bike. I have been doing track days along for the last 3 years and wanted to try something different from a Honda. I started on a 1998 CBR f3 then got a 05 cbr600rr. My buddy is selling is 08 r6. Its rated at 135hp for 600 that's pretty good my Honda dyno'd at 105hp. I'm a heavy guy @ 280. I started running intermediate group last year with riders choice. I was thinking of changing the spring on the front and a new shock at the back for my cbr to better match my weight. I know I would have to change the brings on the r6 too but, I wanted to ask you guys and gals opinion. Does the r6 have more to offer me then my 05 CBR?

Hey guys thinking of getting a newer bike. I have been doing track days along for the last 3 years and wanted to try something different from a Honda. I started on a 1998 CBR f3 then got a 05 cbr600rr. My buddy is selling is 08 r6. Its rated at 135hp for 600 that's pretty good my Honda dyno'd at 105hp. I'm a heavy guy @ 280. I started running intermediate group last year with riders choice. I was thinking of changing the spring on the front and a new shock at the back for my cbr to better match my weight. I know I would have to change the brings on the r6 too but, I wanted to ask you guys and gals opinion. Does the r6 have more to offer me then my 05 CBR?

For the track I'm inclined to say yes. Something about the R6 making all its power up top in the rev-range, which is where you'll be on the track anyways. Not to mention its a mean looking bike.

Go for it if you don't have to put too much money in i'd say.

The R6 is around 105 hp too.

What Kellen said..

The only way an R6 can make 135hp to the wheel is with serious motor work, which means it will require an extremely condensed maintenance schedule or it's a time bomb.

Realistically the Yamaha won't be much different from your Honda.

Maybe a bit better handling , but basically like everyone has said , pretty much the same.
And 135 hp ? Really lol

This used to be my signature, but Paulo didn't like it.

No way in hell that R6 is pushing 135 horses...

Its an 08 but essentially its just one model year newer than your bike so its not like your current bike is going to feel really outdated or anything. If you're just looking to do trackdays though the R6 is a great bike, it loses some points on the street though.

For an r6 engine that puts out 135-140hp your looking at 10k. Notice I said engine and not bike.

My buddy is selling is 08 r6.
You can unlock/flash the ECU so it's not so absolutely gutless down low (it normally limits you to 60% throttle down low and doesn't go wide open until 11k rpm, then it backs way off up top too, totally retarded).

Stock_Throttle_Restriction.png

Throw on a nice sprocket set like -1/+2 which is 15/47 for your year/bike (top speed 254kph or 262kph flashed) and you can calibrate your speedo with the flash too so you don't need a speedohealer. http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/...20-yamaha&Category_Code=520-conversion-yamaha

Last edited:
If you're only looking at marginal to negligible performance improvements from the CBR to the R6, your money would be much better spent on suspension upgrades for the CBR.

If I were 280 pounds I'd be looking into a litre bike.

You may be faster around the track on your CBR. The R6 has lots of potential but you've got to keep it singing above 10k or the engine will fall on its face and you'll be slow. It takes skill to do this.

Spend your money on proper suspension.

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to get new suspension for the CBR. BTW I found a used ohlins for 450 us. The guys said that someone took out the red bolt and the oil leaked out and the little spring came out.

Last edited:
Its a rear shock that would need to get rebuilt how much would that go for?

Back
Top Bottom