Kawasaki 250 (wet? weight) , et al | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki 250 (wet? weight) , et al

ayahsoo

Hi all.
Does anyone knows what the (is it?) wet weight for the Ninja Kawasaki 250? ("Wet" may be the wrong term.)

I'm interested in the total carrying capacity including the passenger+rider+gear+cargo

Also when would one reccommend that a newbie start carrying a passenger?

One more, Kawasaki 250 vs 400.
While I see that the 250 is best for newbie, would the 400 be a definate no-no?

Thanks!
A

Last edited:
The dry weight is 375lbs, and the owners manual recommends that the total weight of rider, passenger, fuel & luggage not exceed 375lbs as well, so 750lbs would be the max.

I would not recommend that newbies carry passengers until they have a few thousand km's on the seat. You need to understand how the bike behaves, and how you behave, in many different scenarios before adding complications to the ride.

I personally like the 400, but didn't feel it was worth the extra over the 250. It weighs almost 60lbs more dry, has a smaller fuel tank (by 2.5l) and a slightly higher seat (roughly a half-inch), but build-wise would probably be better for carrying a passenger, eventually. I wouldn't rule it out as a starter, but depending on your particular needs a used 250 may suit for now. The 400's are still new and may be hard to find for less than $7K OTR.

Alan

Don't know about the weights.

400 is fine for a first bike. The insurance will likely be more, but the power is not scary.

Don't start carrying a passenger until you are really comfortable with riding and how your bike responds to different situations. With a passenger, braking distances are longer, turning can be dicey (it is easier to upset a bike with more weight on it) and the passenger may move in a way that counteracts you. If you are still trying to figure out the bike itself, these added factors could be enough to dump both of you. If your passenger has never been on a bike, it can be worthwhile to let them double with someone with lots of experience first. That rider will teach them what to do and what not to do so you have less to deal with when its your turn.

Thanks for your responses!

I'm going by the dealership to check out the 250r.
I'll be test riding both (and hopefully more) before purchasing.

Before joining this site and completing the rider training (which I did this weekend) I was eyeing M109s (yeah laugh) and 800cc upwards. Now I know better. I think I even drive safter :confused: :)

Any tips on dealing with the dealer/s ? I'm guessing should ask for a few things thrown in? When is the best time to buy? End of season I guess?

back from dealership - just sat on a few 250r (and other sport bikes)..
I dunno if sportbike guy..
Didnt "feel it"

Sat on a few cruisers, now we talking..

Suzuki S40/S50. Any owners/riders of these here that can share thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom