just wanted to share - experience today at dealership | GTAMotorcycle.com

just wanted to share - experience today at dealership

silvrsurfr

went into a dealership today to sit on a few bikes to see what i thought of them -

sales guy started talking to me - told him i'm looking to purchase my first bike and wanted to feel a couple out. i asked where their 250's were, and right off the bat he stated i'm too big. i'm 6' - 200lbs. (granted he could be right with this, but i told him, i was there to try out a few different bikes and wanted to start at the 250's to see for myself) but the kicker was his next statement -

after looking at the 400 and 650 ninja's, he recommends the Ninja ZX-6R - and i quote - "its a great first bike"

now, all the power to the guys and girls who can claim this bike as their first bike - but i'm am just not interested in this bike at this time.

but what kills me is, he would actually recommend that as a first bike.

anyways, i ditched him, and found the sales rep i had previously spoke with, and he was great.

Nothing out of the ordinary for a salesman, just trying to sell something more expensive

& TBH 200lbs is on the edge of 250 territory, you'd be more suited for a 400cc

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs and I found the 250 too small for me. I ended up with a Ninja 400R and completely glad I did. It's not twitchy at all, very manageable power and still has enough power for the highways...

I'm 5'10", 210 lbs and the Ninja 250 is fine for me. I could stand to lose some weight though for the extra horsepower.

And I'm going to keep recommending this site until it sticks. The link below will allow you to see if you're really "too tall" or "too short" for a bike.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

And I'm going to keep recommending this site until it sticks. The link below will allow you to see if you're really "too tall" or "too short" for a bike.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Great site, very accurate for me.

To the OP, I'm sure others agree buying a bike brand new isn't the greatest idea because of the likelyhood of dropping it. Check out a used gs500. I loved that bike.

There's about 10 degrees of difference for me on the knee angle between the ('07) Ninja 250R and the 400R. That's huge. There doesn't seem to be as much on the '09, but it's a couple degrees and more forward lean. I sat on both old and new 250R's and felt like my legs were being folded up like a card table. Ergonomics aside, I think the bit of extra power and heft from the 400R is worth if to have on the highway to have some power in reserve for passing and not get blown around quite so much. But that's me.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Get the same thing no matter where you go. Cars, boats, houses. Some folks are just terrible at it while others are fantastic. Just smile and nod, move on and go with someone your trust.

OP: Get a used SV650. I've been riding a Ninja 250 since last April, and I'm telling you, the 250 is awesome, but I wish I had started on the 650.

I had the same thing happen when I went to McBrides years ago for my first bike. I'm 6'1" and 240+ lbs.

I never really trusted them enough to look at another bike after that.

I ended up getting a KZ250LTD and had fun learning to ride on it. There were a few comments made, but I'm old enough to not pay attention to that nonsense.

I test drove a CBR250RA a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to figure out how to sneak one into the garage and hide it.

You have to be a little careful with the throttle or you'll be constantly bouncing off of the rev limiter, but there's not as much fear of having your bike impounded and towed.

If you wanted to drive on the 400 series for hours every day, then you might want to look at a bigger bike, but for booting around town or the few GTA twisties, this bike is perfect.

Since I absolutely hate and avoid the superslab, I would have no problem with this bike. I'm picturing what I'm going to do with it up on the 511 now. :) grin.

Last edited:
Honestly after riding the GS500F for a while I'm actually telling a few friends who are turning 25 next year to just go ahead and start on a 600.

#1. It weighs lighter than a GS500. You're not going to be QQing when you drop it.
#2. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I'd expand on #2 but too lazy. Long story short, as long as you get to know the bike (especially the throttle) you'll be fine. Personally I'm even a little annoyed at the GS500 on highways, it's great from 0-100, then it gets awfully slow.

However...

Buying a new bike as your first bike is a bad idea, you're gonna drop it first day. I dropped mine day 1, another friend dropped their 250 turning into my house, another friend dropped it when a passenger got on. We all had used bikes =D

油井緋色;1621956 said:
Honestly after riding the GS500F for a while I'm actually telling a few friends who are turning 25 next year to just go ahead and start on a 600.

#1. It weighs lighter than a GS500. You're not going to be QQing when you drop it.

I'd expand on #2 but too lazy. Long story short, as long as you get to know the bike (especially the throttle) you'll be fine. Personally I'm even a little annoyed at the GS500 on highways, it's great from 0-100, then it gets awfully slow.

However...

Buying a new bike as your first bike is a bad idea, you're gonna drop it first day. I dropped mine day 1, another friend dropped their 250 turning into my house, another friend dropped it when a passenger got on. We all had used bikes =D

I can't quite understand your reasoning. Are you advising people to start on a 600 because 250's are too heavy? Not everyone drops their bike. Some people crash instead. Some just ride.

Dropping your bike first day might be a bit of an exaggeration, I havent dropped mine yet.....not saying it cant happen it absolutely can...I bought fairly new but still slightly used......that way I wont cry if something does happen.

油井緋色;1621956 said:

However...

I can't quite understand your reasoning. Are you advising people to start on a 600 because 250's are too heavy? Not everyone drops their bike. Some people crash instead. Some just ride.

No, I'm saying that because, depending on your personality, you will get bored of a smaller bike extremely fast. Everyone who knew me that rode told me to stay away from a 125 and a 250; probably because I'm an adrenaline junky (gym, stunts, contact sports, skiing, boarding, sky diving, you name it, I've probably done it). The dude's I'm giving advice to are the ones that are like me, they're going to try to try and push the bike to it's limits while knowing and staying in their comfort zone gradually. The limits on a 250 and a 125 are too small. Those who aren't prone to try and push themselves and their machines can last years on a 250 (met a guy that was afraid to upgrade to a 500 after 2 years on a 250).

So really, I think it does depend on the person. If you can do workouts revolving around 1 rep max without spotters and not hurt yourself, you're the type that can do start on a 600. I'm saying this because a lot of weight injuries result around 1 rep max workouts without spotters. Same goes for sky diving, boarding, skiing and others...just different scenarios.

My 250 is stupid light. Maybe it's heavy to you because 油井緋色 is a tiny Asian. Although I've seen tiny Asians wrestle massive bikes better than I can, and I'm a fat, useless Indian.

油井緋色;1621967 said:
No, I'm saying that because, depending on your personality, you will get bored of a smaller bike extremely fast. Everyone who knew me that rode told me to stay away from a 125 and a 250; probably because I'm an adrenaline junky (gym, stunts, contact sports, skiing, boarding, sky diving, you name it, I've probably done it). The dude's I'm giving advice to are the ones that are like me, they're going to try to try and push the bike to it's limits while knowing and staying in their comfort zone gradually. The limits on a 250 and a 125 are too small. Those who aren't prone to try and push themselves and their machines can last years on a 250 (met a guy that was afraid to upgrade to a 500 after 2 years on a 250).

So really, I think it does depend on the person. If you can do workouts revolving around 1 rep max without spotters and not hurt yourself, you're the type that can do start on a 600. I'm saying this because a lot of weight injuries result around 1 rep max workouts without spotters. Same goes for sky diving, boarding, skiing and others...just different scenarios.

Go ride with LoneRonin or knowledge, then talk about how a 250 isn't good for adrenaline junkies.

My 250 is stupid light. Maybe it's heavy to you because 油井緋色 is a tiny Asian. Although I've seen tiny Asians wrestle massive bikes better than I can, and I'm a fat, useless Indian.

I think I may have came off the wrong way lol

GS500 is heavier than 600. I have no problems lifting a GS500, the only argument I heard from a friend to not start on a 600 was that it would be heavy and scary (I don't blame him, he dropped a 500 on his foot and got stuck, had to call us to help him.

If a GS500 is heavier than 600 and you're not scared of weight, then the whole weight issue involving a 250 vs 600 is invalid.

I haven't dropped my bike (yet) (250). I got on the first time, by myself. I worked the throttle and clutch slowly until I was used to it then kept practicing (off the streets) until I felt I was ready to go around the block. Then on a more major street, then busier street. Then streets with high speed limits.
You can't condemn someone to dropping a bike "the first day" they have it. Everyone learns at their own pace and if people take their time and learn how the bike will react in different situations (jamming on the front or rear brakes at low speeds, or accidentally letting out the clutch or banging it into first without the clutch) then you'll be just fine.

Just because you and your friends couldn't handle yours, doesn't mean everyone is going to drop their bike. Give the guy a fighting chance, don't bash his hopes and dreams!

油井緋色;1621956 said:

I think everyone worries about ergonomics to much. Im 330 pounds of chunky pride on a cbr600f4i. I can ride two hours before my butt starts to hurt, 10 minute rest and I'm good to go. Other then that nothing stops me from riding far. Hold the tank with your knee's dont leave pressure on your arms and you will be fine on almost any bike as I'm about as extreme on the spectrum as you can go.

This is my first bike.

PS. Yep I look dope in full leathers.

Meh, that's better than the fat old blonde woman at Royal in Whitby last weekend that came over and stared at us the whole time we checked out the Brutale (maybe 3 minutes). No offer of assistance whatsoever, she justs comes around the counter as soon as my buddy sits on the bike (carefully as most would on a showroom bike) and blurts out "be careful, that's a $20,000 bike" and then stands there saying nothing with a scowl on her face and her arms crossed about 10ft away from us just staring at us. Jeez take it easy lady. We're both late 30's guys and wearing nice riding gear with nice bikes sitting just outside the main doors (my buddy was on a $25,000 cruiser and I'll be buying a new SS litrebike this winter). I've never had any issue at GP bikes.....

Back
Top Bottom