JUST GOT FIRED! Who wants to go for a ride? :P | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

JUST GOT FIRED! Who wants to go for a ride? :P

A company can fire you for any reason, as long as they give you severance etc.

No they can't. They have to prove they had "Just Cause". Hence, why most companies try and prove the just cause by giving you 3 warning letters before letting you go. That means that you were already reprimaned.

No they can't. They have to prove they had "Just Cause". Hence, why most companies try and prove the just cause by giving you 3 warning letters before letting you go. That means that you were already reprimaned.

Yes, they can. Severance pay is pay they give you to skip the court process for dismissing you without a valid reason. It happens all the time in CorporateWorld (usually during cost-cutting initiatives).

A "lay off" or "downsizing" is different than getting "fired". The OP can actually sue.

If he didn't get any advance notice of his termination then yes he is entitled to Termination pay, but depending on how much it is then the OP can sue for more.

http://www.cba.org/BC/public_media/employment/241.aspx

Last edited:
A "lay off" or "downsizing" is different than getting "fired". The OP can actually sue.

If he didn't get any advance notice of his termination then yes he is entitled to Termination pay, but depending on how much it is then the OP can sue for more.

http://www.cba.org/BC/public_media/employment/241.aspx

from your link:

"Generally, employers can also fire employees without just cause. But in this case, the employer must give the employee notice of the dismissal, or pay instead of notice."

termination pay, and severance. And you need to be working their for 5 years to get severance.

The laws in the USA are very different than here.

Last edited:
wow, i have never gotten a warning when i got fired in the past, maybe i just screw up so bad i get to skip all that...i am special needs...essentially they need a very valid reason with evidence to back up their reason for dismissal, in case it goes to court, the courts favour the employee more than the employer, at least from my experience...

wow, i have never gotten a warning when i got fired in the past, maybe i just screw up so bad i get to skip all that...i am special needs...essentially they need a very valid reason with evidence to back up their reason for dismissal, in case it goes to court, the courts favour the employee more than the employer, at least from my experience...

they only need to warn you if they are going to fire you with just cause. Otherwise they can fire you on the spot and give you termination pay and severance if you have 5 years with them. The min is 1 week per year, sometimes they give up to 1 month per year to cover themselves.

They can't fire you for enforcing your rights under the employment standards act.

Exactly, if the events actually transpired the way the OP described it could be a slam dunk for a lawyer who specializes in wrongful dismissal. I'd retain counsel, sit back and watch the fireworks. If there is evidence such as a voicemail or letter saying that he was terminated due to citing the law to the employer then he's golden.

they only need to warn you if they are going to fire you with just cause. Otherwise they can fire you on the spot and give you termination pay and severance if you have 5 years with them. The min is 1 week per year, sometimes they give up to 1 month per year to cover themselves.

+1

Others require further reading.

Back
Top Bottom