Just can`t wrap my brain around it | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just can`t wrap my brain around it

Thanks so much for the help guys. Great community here.
I will have to put the SV 650 on the list. A friend of mine out west just got one and loves it.
Like I said before. Its not speed i`m looking for. Styling is more important. And of course the purchase price and monthly Ins.

I called State Farm today. Waiting to hear back. She also mentioned swithing my other Auto over to them will bring the bike quote down by half.
So much for being loyal. May be time for me to switch. I`ll let ya know what the quote is.

that is total bull! I'm 25 with State Farm, newly licensed and I pay $107/mth for my gsxr600 and I have 1 accident/1 minor ticket on my car (not with SF)..
Who are you with? Broker wise.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help guys. Great community here.
I will have to put the SV 650 on the list. A friend of mine out west just got one and loves it.
Like I said before. Its not speed i`m looking for. Styling is more important. And of course the purchase price and monthly Ins.

I called State Farm today. Waiting to hear back. She also mentioned swithing my other Auto over to them will bring the bike quote down by half.
So much for being loyal. May be time for me to switch. I`ll let ya know what the quote is.

Your quote with State Farm will be very low, provided your auto record is clean. If you bundle your car, you'll save another 35% or so.

I`m with Cooperators. Thier quote came from Jevco. They said they type of bike i want has a 50% surcharge on them.
Well, I have no problem scaling back my choices due to purchase and ins costs.
Things like '88-'95 FZR, GSXR ZX6 are on my new search list.
I`ll keep you updated with how the search goes and what the Ins quotes are for them.

To clear some things up:

Co-operators sells insurance through its AGENCY distribution channel, not independent brokers. This is the same as State Farm. A Co-operators agent can only quote and sell you Co-operators' policy. The motorcycle policies that you were being quoted were for Co-operators, not Jevco.

Also, the quote that you received on the first bike (~$800) was simply wrong. It appears that your agent didn't realize that the SS surcharge applied until they quoted you on the newer bike.

And FYI, the SS surcharges are much higher than 50% . . . it's more like 400%.

27, clean record, 4 years riding, 2008 CBR 1000RR is $1009 liability only, $1200 for full with state farm, house, 2 cars with them as well. I got quotes for over $9k from some places, $7600 from primmum. Another guy I ride with, 40, tons of exp with a 2002 ZX-9 is $1000 w/ primmum, just to give you some numbers, good luck.

...I call about a '00 ZX6R
Get a quote of $785a year
See a great deal on an '07 and an '08
So knowing fully what to expect, I call for a quote
"She says $4135 a year"
Ummm excuse me? $345 a month?
So i ask her to recheck the '00 quote
"oh,that qoute was wrong. It would be $3925 a year"
So $325 a month?
For the love of good its a good thing i didn`t go buy a bike based on the last quote
of $785 a year...

I called Cooperators, my vehicle and home insurer, for a quote on a '00 Kawi ZX6R, just out of curiosity and was told Cooperators no longer insures motorcycles. They will honour my existing motorcycle but will not add a new one. They will pass my request for a quote to their sister company Federated, who is an insurance broker. They say that this quote will take 1 week.

Hey vitterfun. I`m just repeating what she told me. She said the quote i was getting came thru Jevco. Also said it was a 50% surcharge.
Maybe they went thru Jevco due to what Torontoboy has said. Its wierd that 4 days after my qoute they tell TB that they are no longer doing bikes.

Smergy. Those seem like some good rates. If I could be $1200 or less I would buy the '08 zx6 i have found.(if its still available)

UPDATE:
LOL, WOW!
Just got my qoute from Statefarm.
$1313 a year for a '00 ZX6 if i don`t switch everything over to them
$786 a year if i do.
And only $824 a year on the '08 I was considering.

Well boys,looks like i`m back in the game and hunting for a bike.

Last edited:
hope you locate what your looking for. A few more numbers since your in the market, I picked up the 08 CBR 1000RR out of the states (3 hours over the border) for $6200, 10k miles, stock, mint, in the fall last year. Great deals end of season for ppl looking to move toys. Actually found it through ebay with an ended listing. Did a private deal afterwards, heres the full experience:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80616

So i`m thinking, time to buy a bike.
I`m 40 y/o, 18 years lisc, clean record
A '98-'02 is in my budget.
I call about a '00 ZX6R
Get a quote of $785a year
So i ask her to recheck the '00 quote
"oh,that quote was wrong. It would be $3925 a year"...

I called Cooperators, my vehicle and home insurer, for a quote on a '00 Kawi ZX6R, just out of curiosity and was told Cooperators no longer insures motorcycles. They will honour my existing motorcycle but will not add a new one. They will pass my request for a quote to their sister company Federated, who is an insurance broker. They say that this quote will take 1 week.

I received a call from Federated today. It took 8 days to get a quote. She confirmed with me that under no uncertain terms that Co-Operators does not insure motorcycles, and it has been this way for 2-3 years.

I was quoted $2,970/yr for an '00 Kawi ZX6R, from Jevco, liability only. I currently pay $255/yr for a Honda 500cc cruiser using Co-Operators, or 8.6% of the ZX6R quote. No tickets or claims, but I live in Scarborough, so kill me with insurance.

According to Federated Insurance that ZX6R must be a VERY dangerous motorcycle, and no one should ride it EVER. With insurance on it as high as it is for me I am sure I will never ride it, EVER.

I received a call from Federated today. It took 8 days to get a quote. She confirmed with me that under no uncertain terms that Co-Operators does not insure motorcycles, and it has been this way for 2-3 years.

I was quoted $2,970/yr for an '00 Kawi ZX6R, from Jevco, liability only. I currently pay $255/yr for a Honda 500cc cruiser using Co-Operators, or 8.6% of the ZX6R quote. No tickets or claims, but I live in Scarborough, so kill me with insurance.

According to Federated Insurance that ZX6R must be a VERY dangerous motorcycle, and no one should ride it EVER. With insurance on it as high as it is for me I am sure I will never ride it, EVER.

Co-operators does not insure *sport* motorcycles, but they certainly insure pretty much anything else.

I'm still blown away by the discrepancies in quotes everyone is getting. Especially from State Farm. In my experience, the biggest rip off in the province. I insured my truck and house with Johnson Inc. for a fraction of what SF wanted. Primmum is insuring my '05 CBR600RR for around $1k/year, which is again, a fraction of what SF was asking.

That said, OP, call Primmum. I did have to supply them with letters from the DMV in NL (Abstract) and from my previous insurer (Letter of Experience, IIRC) before they would insure me, but it was well worth it to save thousands of dollars.

Before I picked up my VFR in the fall of 09 I got quotes for a Daytona 675, tlr1000 and the daytona 955 from Jevco. The VFR was $1000, everything else 2800-3500. The worst was the TLR, the insurance was the same as the price of the bike I was looking at @$3500.

Back then I was 38 with my full M, Male & living in the boonies with a at fault from 08 on my record and the surcharge was 300% for sport bikes.

Co-operators does not insure *sport* motorcycles, but they certainly insure pretty much anything else.

This statement is unhelpful.

As a Co-Operators client I have phoned their call centre 3 times and each time have been told the same information: Co-Operators does not insure motorcycles and has not done so for 2-3 years. They have grandfathered existing policies, such as my own. Some riders on this forum have corroborated my information, but other riders have contradicted what I have been told from their call centre. There is no documentation on the web that I could find that says they do not insure motorcycles.

VifferFun, you usually offer constructive information and suggestions, but this time you've come up sorely lacking. If they have told me they do not write motorcycle insurance, how can I escalate this to a higher level of management? Am I being discriminated against? I will try asking for an explanation from a manager, and then will try their ombudsman. Can you offer any advice?

Is the insurance industry so fickle that they can punt customers to Jevco whenever they feel like it?

"is the insurance industry so fickle that they can punt customers to jevco whenever they feel like it?"

yes

This statement is unhelpful.

As a Co-Operators client I have phoned their call centre 3 times and each time have been told the same information: Co-Operators does not insure motorcycles and has not done so for 2-3 years. They have grandfathered existing policies, such as my own. Some riders on this forum have corroborated my information, but other riders have contradicted what I have been told from their call centre. There is no documentation on the web that I could find that says they do not insure motorcycles.

VifferFun, you usually offer constructive information and suggestions, but this time you've come up sorely lacking. If they have told me they do not write motorcycle insurance, how can I escalate this to a higher level of management? Am I being discriminated against? I will try asking for an explanation from a manager, and then will try their ombudsman. Can you offer any advice?

Is the insurance industry so fickle that they can punt customers to Jevco whenever they feel like it?

You're trying to insure a ZX6R with The Co-operators, but they will not insure SS bikes. There is no way that they will insure you on that bike, whether they write bikes or not. Are you always receiving a quote through Federated, or have you gone through a Co-operators agent as well?

I just called Co-operators this morning to get an auto and motorcycle quote. First thing they asked me was if I currently have any insurance policies with them. I said no, and they said:

"We are currently focusing only on existing clients; so anything we offer you would not be competitive with other insurance companies. I would suggest for you to shop around with other companies."

I confirmed with the lady I spoke with that they're basically not accepting new customers and she said yes.

Just wanted to add to this Cooperators discussion...

Back
Top Bottom