Just bough a used bike. Can I get temp plates in order to drive it to get safetied? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just bough a used bike. Can I get temp plates in order to drive it to get safetied?

jdfundas

Just bought a used bike and the guy is driving it to my house on Wednesday. How do I go about safety, getting plates, stickers, insurance. In what order does this have to be done? I already got insurance lined up, do I need plates before they will put it on? Thanks!

In BC it's all done at insurance agent, plate etc. Be sure the signiture on papers matches up with the sellers id...you may be wiser to do all things in a safe insurance office...
you will pay first/get keys then get insurance/transfer/taxes/plate
Make sure no liens (money owed) on bike

Last edited:
1. Get insurance. Supposedly already done
2. Get plates & a temp sticker at the same time. You can ONLY do this if the bike is currently registered as "fit", meaning the last owner never unplated it before selling it to you, and you haven't registered it yet. You will need proof of insurance for this.
3. Get it safetied. Piece of cake, assuming that nothing is wrong with it and you don't need tires, brakes, etc.
4. Go and register it for reals at the MTO, making sure that you have the safety certificate with you.

1. Get insurance. Supposedly already done
2. Get plates & a temp sticker at the same time. You can ONLY do this if the bike is currently registered as "fit", meaning the last owner never unplated it before selling it to you, and you haven't registered it yet. You will need proof of insurance for this.
3. Get it safetied. Piece of cake, assuming that nothing is wrong with it and you don't need tires, brakes, etc.
4. Go and register it for reals at the MTO, making sure that you have the safety certificate with you.

Wow seems much easier in my provence?

Wow seems much easier in my provence?

that was a question? It is a lot easier in BC. Sux that you Ontarians have to safety a motorcycle.
Here both Seller and buyer should go together to an ICBC agent. All transfers / taxes / plates / stickers done in one place.

Have you already received the UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package) from the seller? This will tell you if there are any liens on the bike. I wouldn't exchange money before seeing it.

TwistedKestrel is correct about the process. Once you have the temporary sticker, you'll have 7 days to ride the bike to get it safetied. If you run out of time in that 7 days, you can get one more temporary sticker for an additional 7 days.

o clarify #4 a bit, you've already registered the bike in your name. You're now taking in your safety cert to get a real sticker for your plate.

Back
Top Bottom