Just back from Dragon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just back from Dragon

Couldn't resist sharing on this post, sorry.
Didn't get to go this year, so your thread's got me remembering fond memories

Me at Deals Gap last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbrhw1qzTPA

Photo of one of the glassy smooth curves taken on my Busa, courtesy of Killboy.com
attachment.php

Last edited:
I guess I could rent a trailer and do it up! How many days total were you gone?

We were gone for 9 days in total, but that included going to Myrtle Beach, Kitty hawk, surf city etc....buddy went to Texas and back while I went to the coast....

IMG00607-20110627-1047.jpg
IMG00606-20110627-0936.jpg
IMG00609-20110627-1055.jpg
IMG00604-20110627-0934.jpg

Couldn't resist sharing on this post, sorry.
Didn't get to go this year, so your thread's got me remembering fond memories

Me at Deals Gap last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbrhw1qzTPA

Photo of one of the glassy smooth curves taken on my Busa, courtesy of Killboy.com

for some reason us129 slayer got more/better pics of me.....

slayer12.jpg
slayer21.jpg

Glad you enjoyed yourself.
I have been going at least once/yr since 96, and twice/yr since 2000. Before the internet took over and told everyone what was there, it was largely deserted. It was a rare day when you'd see a cop, and literally, broke roadracers would tow their bikes up there with no lights, on slicks, and use the Dragon as practise time. No joke. Irecall days when hitting 110 mph between turns on the Dragon was normal, and we used to time ourselves from the overlook to the CRoT....It sure was fun when we were young, but looking back, man was it crazy. Something I'd never dare to do today. The road quality is nicer now, and there is more tourist spots, but the rawness of it all is long since lost. It used to be motorcycling's best kept secret.

That being said, if I knew an easy way to get a US working VISA, I would be living there tomorrow. I love the scenery, the desolation, the people, and the lifestyle.

I have been going at least once/yr since 96, and twice/yr since 2000. Before the internet took over and told everyone what was there, it was largely deserted. It was a rare day when you'd see a cop, and literally, broke roadracers would tow their bikes up there with no lights, on slicks, and use the Dragon as practise time. No joke. Irecall days when hitting 110 mph between turns on the Dragon was normal, and we used to time ourselves from the overlook to the CRoT....It sure was fun when we were young, but looking back, man was it crazy. Something I'd never dare to do today. The road quality is nicer now, and there is more tourist spots, but the rawness of it all is long since lost. It used to be motorcycling's best kept secret.

That being said, if I knew an easy way to get a US working VISA, I would be living there tomorrow. I love the scenery, the desolation, the people, and the lifestyle.

+1, motorcycling paradise.

On thursday June 30th, I got to the start of the 'dragan' at 7am, and it was deserted, no cops, nothing. Got back to the shop just outside and was chatting with the mechanic at 8am and saw 3 cruisers roll by.

6am - 8am - best time to race around the dragon

Last time I was there, the locals are still doing this. They keep quoting their "lap" times when they meet up at wheelers.

Those must have been some crazy wild times!

I was going at a pretty "good" clip on the Busa when a local (i think a friend of killboy's) passed me just after a curve at what felt like well over 100 kmph. it was some SOLID riding.

Ride it late at night. I did it around 12:30ish am. No worries about cops and you know when someone is oncoming because of the lights. Made for an awesome run!

This is a few pics . Looks like we are going back in late Sept or Early Oct . (trailer down this time)
Would like to get down there when the leaves change but not all over the road .
Anyone know when that is ???
I forgot to ask - Did anyone do a video of themselves with one of your buddies chasing you down the dragon with your go pro. This is one trip that you have to take if you own a Bike. I can't wait till the fall trip. Oh and 1 thing I did learn is not
to put your go pro on the windshield or front batwing - to much of a shake . Testing out now on my helmet . Seems to be
better shot. Also I was chasing a bud up the dragon and just going into a curve & a transport truck came around the corner
and scared the S**T out of us . I thought I had it on my video but I screwed it up when we took off and had the wrong setting. It would have made for some great viewing. Lets just say I don't want to run into any more of them.

6am - 8am - best time to race around the dragon

Yes this is the best time - We got out one morning around that time .
Just have to watch that the roads are not to damp .

Code:
[URL="http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/SueakaBarrel/Dragon%20Pics/"]http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/SueakaBarrel/Dragon Pics/[/URL]

Part 1

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RtYmI_24c

Part 2

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrCRBgY0zI

Last edited:
I mounted my HiDef GoPro on the end of an 17" aluminum arm with RAM ball mounts attached to my right mirror base. The natural "bounce" of the camera on the end of the arm actually acted as a vibration damper/image stabilizer.

this is a clip of me and Trini2Dbone along the Hellbender from the CRoT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W16yxu88E4c

Back
Top Bottom