June 15/16/17 Calabogie w Pro 6! | GTAMotorcycle.com

June 15/16/17 Calabogie w Pro 6!

Same.
Sunday Monday for me too.
Never been there before so plan was to go in Green on Sunday to learn the track and Yellow on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an awesome track, unlike the mess that Shannonville is in. I'm not sure why more races are not held at Calabogie, maybe it's too expensive????

It's an awesome track, unlike the mess that Shannonville is in. I'm not sure why more races are not held at Calabogie, maybe it's too expensive????

Doesn’t CSBK have a bonus round at Bogie this year?
I thought I remembered seeing it on their calendar somewhere....

Actually it is considered too dangerous to race at. There are areas where there is not enough run off space. They have raced there on occasion over the years and I think they may only want to run the light weight class there now.

If I can get Tuesday off I will go up for Monday. Should have known Pro6 would sell out, imaidiot

Was there on Sunday and Monday.
Had a great time overall, but the passing rules are loosely applied. I was trying hard to stay within the rules and was passed outside of them several times. Guess I'm maybe a bit too polite.

Track is amazing and completely new to me. Pro6 ran great days. PERIOD.
Sunday had something like 9 red flags involving 11-12 riders (and about 7-8 black flags according to the radio). Monday had a couple minor events and a red flag with a rider being airlifted to Ottawa for severe concussion symptoms.

Wierdist thing is, that the first session after the air lift, passes were ridiculous according to the rules. At that point I called it a day. Didn't feel the need to risk it. Friend of mine was black flagged after being passed in a group of 5. He was simply in the midst of a **** show and his number was flagged. No passes on his behalf, he was being passed -- the marshals did their best. No slam on them at all. They are amazing and doing a fantastic job keeping us all safe.

Like BigEvilDoer, this was my first time at Calabogie. This was my second time going to a Pro6 track day and they are a great team!
The track was amazing! It takes a full day to learn the track and figure out the lines and connect corners, but once that’s done it flows sooooo nice! So Sunday was all about learning and Monday was all about using that knowledge and having a lot of fun! I’ll definitely be back for more!

20e75b6578c60efce4fcaf00cb192646.jpg

2be0f73c8a82371a2b757bba6e6f8764.jpg

2bd160a4f24ebefbf3ff0fb2b61f596b.jpg

My number hasn't changed kiddo, next time some heads up!

Hope you had a blast

My number hasn't changed kiddo, next time some heads up!

Hope you had a blast
T, I dont have your number I'm afraid. You were always scared to give it me ?. And I didn't check in here till I was back in Blighty.

Next year shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I will be at 'bogie a lot more. And Mosport. And TO.

Last edited:
Was there on Sunday and Monday.
Had a great time overall, but the passing rules are loosely applied. I was trying hard to stay within the rules and was passed outside of them several times. Guess I'm maybe a bit too polite.

Track is amazing and completely new to me. Pro6 ran great days. PERIOD.
Sunday had something like 9 red flags involving 11-12 riders (and about 7-8 black flags according to the radio). Monday had a couple minor events and a red flag with a rider being airlifted to Ottawa for severe concussion symptoms.

Wierdist thing is, that the first session after the air lift, passes were ridiculous according to the rules. At that point I called it a day. Didn't feel the need to risk it. Friend of mine was black flagged after being passed in a group of 5. He was simply in the midst of a **** show and his number was flagged. No passes on his behalf, he was being passed -- the marshals did their best. No slam on them at all. They are amazing and doing a fantastic job keeping us all safe.

Stick with it mate. I've got 100s of laps at Calabogie played by the rules and was still pushed off track by an inside pass after I'd turned in to turn 17 which ended up in me crashing. Because of the Saturday rain and resultant wash out Sunday turned into a lot of peoples first day at the track for 2019 and the only day of their 2 day weekend.

Get up there in late August and Sunday afternoon can feel like open track.

Question for peeps who have done recent events there. I'm mulling over the mid-August Pro 6 event, probably Sunday and Monday, question of the moment is which group to sign up for. I've focused on racing and haven't done a general track day for a few years outside of special occasions (like winter testing at Jennings, or last year's trip to Mugello).

The bike is my roadrace R3, which does not possess straightaway speed. I am fine with going out in Pro practice at SOAR with the bigger bikes because the other riders on track in that class are experienced, competent, and respectful. We're all same-ballpark of cornering speed, they blow by on any straightaway.

Previous experiences with intermediate group at a general track day (on my smaller bike, FZR400 at the time) have been frustrating, and an incident (due to ignorance/inexperience on the part of another rider) in advanced group at Bogie several years ago is what had me swear off doing track days except for special occasions. I'm being told I should sign up in advanced. As long as everyone knows what to do when there is a bike with 100 km/h less top speed on track with them, it's fine with me. It'll help if I'm not the only little bike out there ... What's the situation been like lately?

Question for peeps who have done recent events there. I'm mulling over the mid-August Pro 6 event, probably Sunday and Monday, question of the moment is which group to sign up for. I've focused on racing and haven't done a general track day for a few years outside of special occasions (like winter testing at Jennings, or last year's trip to Mugello).

The bike is my roadrace R3, which does not possess straightaway speed. I am fine with going out in Pro practice at SOAR with the bigger bikes because the other riders on track in that class are experienced, competent, and respectful. We're all same-ballpark of cornering speed, they blow by on any straightaway.

Previous experiences with intermediate group at a general track day (on my smaller bike, FZR400 at the time) have been frustrating, and an incident (due to ignorance/inexperience on the part of another rider) in advanced group at Bogie several years ago is what had me swear off doing track days except for special occasions. I'm being told I should sign up in advanced. As long as everyone knows what to do when there is a bike with 100 km/h less top speed on track with them, it's fine with me. It'll help if I'm not the only little bike out there ... What's the situation been like lately?

I don’t have a whole lot of track experience, maybe 10 days total. I went recently for a sun/mon and it was my first time at Bogie. I did green group Sunday to learn the track and yellow group Monday. By mid-Monday I was running at a mid to high yellow group time and by the end of Monday I was probably running high yellow to low end red pace.
I think you’d be very comfortable running in yellow until you learn the track and then move to red for your second day.
As for you being on a smaller displacement bike, people easily getting around you on the straights is a good thing, and I doubt you’ll hold anyone up in the corners. My pet peeve in yellow was people on 1000cc bikes passing me on the straights and then holding me up in the corners.

Learning-the-track time will be minimal, I've raced there, I just haven't ridden this bike there. Leaning towards advanced group both days to avoid the intermediate-group fast-bike-slow-rider issues.

Red is pretty quick at Bogie. I'd speak to Pro6 and get their thoughts on which group your best in. Do you have a guess at what lap times you'd be turning on the R3?

I did 2:30-ish on the FZR400. So far, at smaller tracks (Shannonville, Grand Bend) lap times have been more or less the same on the R3 as on the FZR but that may be a tall order at Bogie (or Mosport). I see that Avery Hart (R3) and Trevor Dion (Ninja 400) did 2:27-ish today (the nationals have a lightweight round running together with VRRA at Bogie), and I'm older than both of those riders put together ... Keep in mind that the cornering speed needed to do 2:27 on an R3 is probably on par with doing 15 seconds faster than that on a 600, which has the better part of 3 times as much power.

If there are other lightweight bikes running in the advanced group and the riders are used to it then it'll be OK. But that's the thing I don't know, having not done a track day there since some rider in red group who shouldn't have been there, scared the crap out of me. Unpredictable riders scare me more than faster riders do.

Back
Top Bottom