Jumping a red light? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jumping a red light?

RoR

Around 1am tonite at dixie and steeles area in brampton (was not on steeles but south of it on some road) on my new bike that i picked up in the evening i was riding when i came at dixie intending to go straight it was green when i came near the intersection it changed to yellow but i didnt think it was a safe distance to stop because of wet road(thunderstorms and light showers at the time) so i went through but when i was in the middle of the intersection the light changed to red and there was a flash.Now im not sure if it was the lightning or it was the flash of the traffic camera, if there was one.

Now would i get a ticket if i was already in the middle of the intersection when the light turned red?And if so how much, how many demerits and would my insurance know of it?

Also thanks to all GTAM members for helping me get my first bike and my insurance.

Yes you would get a ticket, if that was actually a traffic cam.
You might be able to fight it, arguing road condition etc.

Most likely, it was a red-light cam.
I assume the camera was facing your rear. If not, then it didn't get your plates.
No demerits. It's just like a huge parking fine. No insurance repercussion, as they just don't know about it.

But...

RLCs activate a second or two after a light turns red, and its sensors are located in front of the fat stop line and not in the middle of the intersection, afaik!

Just be patient, no need to stress yourself even before you got the ticket in the mail!

if your in the intersection then no, as long as your vehicle is past the line your good. if you get a ticket then request the photo to see where you were.

My understanding is like Geoff. If you are already in the intersection you are OK. BTW treat any location along Steeles like the plague. It's a crash magnet.

There are definitely red light cameras at Dixie and Steeles. The only road, that I could see you being on to the south of Steeles, would be Advance Blvd.. There are no red light cameras on Advance. My vote is for lightning.

i'm going with lightning on this one...don't those rlc's detect motion at amber and keep taking picks if something is still in motion at red, so at night you would have had a couple of flashes? if you were in the intersection before it turned red, then i would say don't worry about it...

i'm going with lightning on this one...don't those rlc's detect motion at amber and keep taking picks if something is still in motion at red, so at night you would have had a couple of flashes? if you were in the intersection before it turned red, then i would say don't worry about it...

They take a pic the instant the light turns red (establishes who is already in the intersection, and therefore legally there), and then depending on type, either one more a moment after (when cross traffic becomes green), or records in video fashion for the remainder of the red.

The photograph will show how long the light turned red before you crossed it and your speed. That means the camera takes the picture after the light turns red. Now it's been a while but I believe it takes multiple shots as well.

Either way, there is no conviction/charge but only a fine (around $325). This is because there is no proof of who is driving the vehicle (whereas in some states it takes a picture from the front as well, capturing the driver's face). Not sure what happens if you have a tinted visor on your helmet hahaha, but most likely just a fine anyways.

Back
Top Bottom