Is this a good deal? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a good deal?

For night riding safety I think yes. Manufacturers require they are added for vehicle import and sale here, you won't find a new motorcycle intended for street use that does not have them. The convention of yellow side marker lamps or retroreflectors on the front of the vehicle and red side marker lamps or retroreflectors to the rear aids other drivers to ascertain your direction of travel. Being seen while riding at night is a good thing and I honestly can't imagine a valid reason to remove all the side reflectors considering they might even save your life some night. You could replace the round dots with tape that has similar reflective properties and I believe that works equally well. HTA sets fines for not having side markers on commercial sized vehicles but I'm uncertain if the law carries to all vehicles in Ontario or other provinces. If I was a mechanic and signing that safety declaration every vehicle would need them and I would be taking photos of every bike I inspected as a cya measure. Certified mechanics that conduct the mandated safety inspection can and have been the subject of law suits and or fines subsequent to fatal accidents that occur within the 36 day time frame of the inspection.
For a mechanic or the mechanics employer to trivialize the importance of functioning brakes as they have in bigpoppa's case is an outrage, functioning brakes with absolutely no hydraulic leaks is one of the highest priority items required by the inspection. The dealerships best defence would have been to maintain the damage must have occurred during transport subsequent to leaving their shop.

Sorry I meant to pass a safety inspection is it a requirement to have them that wasnt very clear

Texted the mechanic, dont think I will be hearing back, in any event, unless they write me a cheque to cover the cost of the work that I will do, I doubt there's anything they can do to fix the issue, will cost me more gas to go there and back than Im willing to spend, and I dont trust their 'mechanic'

Contact the MTO. Whoever "certified" that bike clearly didn't do much, if anything at all, aside from get the VIN and transfer it to a piece of paper and take money in exchange for it. They shouldn't be able to write them anymore, the end, ESPECIALLY if they're making excuses about it after the fact with the excuses you mention - they clearly don't understand the concept behind a safety, much less how to do one properly.

do you need those reflectors for safety? I got hassled about it once but they gave me the safety

Yes, the bike is supposed to have them. Doesn't mean that someone may not pass it without them, but it's supposed to have them. Why anyone would want to remove items designed to help you from getting killed at night is beyond me anyways, but hey...

Just got off the phone with the owner, hes was all too eager to pass the buck "well we had an independent shop do the safety bla bla bla its not our fault"

I was curious bigpoppa so I went and looked at the review you wrote on google. Did you contact them with your concerns before you posted that review or did you just go straight to the negative review route a month later?

I could care less about Chesterman’s but you might find you end up with a better result in these situations if you gave them a chance to make things right.

However, no argument from me the bike shouldn’t have the issues you mention with a safety. Hope you get it sorted out at a minimal expense.

I was curious bigpoppa so I went and looked at the review you wrote on google. Did you contact them with your concerns before you posted that review or did you just go straight to the negative review route a month later?

I could care less about Chesterman’s but you might find you end up with a better result in these situations if you gave them a chance to make things right.

However, no argument from me the bike shouldn’t have the issues you mention with a safety. Hope you get it sorted out at a minimal expense.

Yes, I had the number of the mechanic, got no response

Yes, I had the number of the mechanic, got no response
Right. But you bought the bike from Chesterman’s, did you contact the people that sold you the bike or just sent a text to the shop they sublet the work out to?

All I’m saying is give the people you actually did business with a chance to make it right. If they didn’t know how could they make sure this doesn’t happen again or maybe they decide not to use that shop anymore. I think (or maybe I should say I hope) a conversation with the dealer you bought the bike from earlier would of been more beneficial to you both.

More on the reflector question, this is from our Ontario guidelines for motorcycle inspections:
"
LIGHTING

6. (1) Prescribed lamps and reflectors shall be inspected and tested and,

(a) each circuit shall light the filaments of all lamps on the circuit when the appropriate switch is in the “ON” position, and each indicator lamp shall indicate correctly;

(b) the operation of any lighting circuit shall not interfere with the operation of any other circuit;

(c) each lens and reflex reflector shall be correctly installed and shall not be discoloured or missing in whole or in part;

(d) each lamp and reflector shall be securely mounted on the vehicle and none shall be missing;

"
The wording is slightly ambiguous as it states "Prescribed" and that requires knowing what the prescribed requirements are.
... bottom line is yes you need the 4 side reflectors, plus 1 red one on the tail to pass the inspection.

Bigpoppa; highly recommend you inspect the bike carefully for additional conflicts or omissions in the inspection.

Safety means less and less everyday....The bike I just bought came certified but the right fork is wet and the right break caliper/hose is leaking...

Good thing I towed it home.
Before you spend money on the brake components make sure they are leaking. The right fork seal can easily leak onto the right brake line/caliper making it appear wet with brake fluid.
If you're certain, ignore me and carry on.
Also I have a full set of fork seal drivers from 40- 50mm if you need to borrow.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

really?
I looked on Kijiji and most of the FZ-07 there are either similar or more expensive. Where did you see them?

I’ve saw plenty of fz07s 2013+ in and around the 4K mark in on kijiji in Ontario and Quebec when I was bike shopping this year. Little older but that doesn’t matter much to me. I love the fz07

I went to see the bike and it was perfectly functional. Everything was in order and there was no damage on it as well. Also found out it came with an alarm system as well.

After months of looking I can now say I am the proud owner of a 2017 SV650.

Hey guys, Thanks you so much for all the advice and comments.

Nice. Gen3 sv is very similar to gladius, so very moddable.

First advice to modding (depending on your weight and how you ride) : get 2006-2010 gsxr600/750 rear shock. From pic, I don't think it as abs so it should easily fit in.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom