Is the SFV650 a good starter bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the SFV650 a good starter bike?

Gbyrd

I've read a lot about this, but wondering the general consensus on sport touring bikes and the CC. I know for sports bikes the sentiment is only get 300 learn on the bike. Does the same exist for sports touring? I was looking at the SFV650 wanted to get a general opinion on it, as I'm looking to pick up a sports touring bike instead of a sports one.

Good bike. Insurance will be much worse than a smaller bike. I would still start on something smaller. There are lots of 300-500cc bikes that arent "sports" bikes. Honda F or X bikes come to mind. I'm not sure about "sports touring" style in a small bike. BMW probably makes something with the 310 (G310?).

Its not the worst bike to start on, not the best either

It is a good bike though, by sfv I take it you mean the gladius?

Not a bad choice but depending on the amount of riding experience you have I’d suggest a 300 is better. Also you can buy one in good condition and sell it in a year or two for essentially what you paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Not a good starter bike, I’d say it would be a good 1st bike once you achieve M status.

An SV has 2x the power of a learner bike and 50% more weight. You can lean a 300 to 45degrees, the sport styled will do the ton with an average sized human. What do you think you’ll miss as a beginner if you learn on a 300?

For additional context here I am 6'3" and 200 lbs which I assume does impact the sizing of the bikes here. It will be a first bike so let's assume my riding is 0 here. I am between this and maybe a cb500 and my insurance quote is pretty decent at 85$ a month which to me seems pretty nice. As for sports touring over sports bike, insurance and posture makes me lean sports touring

Good bike. Insurance will be much worse than a smaller bike. I would still start on something smaller. There are lots of 300-500cc bikes that arent "sports" bikes. Honda F or X bikes come to mind. I'm not sure about "sports touring" style in a small bike. BMW probably makes something with the 310 (G310?).
I think the ktm duke 390 is a smaller bike that is considered sports touring, but I'm a big dude.

6'2" & 230 lbs here. I started on a 250cc cruiser and didn't keep it long enough.

The biggest issue is that you need to shift a small bike all the time, over & over again, even when you don't want to.
That builds experience with shifting quickly, and experience in all types of conditions is what you need.

A bigger bike lets you be lazy. With a little practice starting from second gear, my 650 could be used around town without shifting.

With a 300 that's not possible.

Another thing is that a larger bike is likely to have more components to change, like spark plugs.
If you're going to do some of your own wrenching, it's a joy to start on a smaller bike.

6'2" & 230 lbs here. I started on a 250cc cruiser and didn't keep it long enough.

The biggest issue is that you need to shift a small bike all the time, over & over again, even when you don't want to.
That builds experience with shifting quickly, and experience in all types of conditions is what you need.

A bigger bike lets you be lazy. With a little practice starting from second gear, my 650 could be used around town without shifting.

With a 300 that's not possible.

Another thing is that a larger bike is likely to have more components to change, like spark plugs.
If you're going to do some of your own wrenching, it's a joy to start on a smaller bike.
Thanks for your input, I'm trying to figure out a happy medium of a good beginner bike and a bike I can use for highway riding for my M2X in a year. I'm thinking maybe a CB500F instead of the SFV650 Gladius, I'm just trying to avoid getting too much bike and not getting my skills up

I'm 6ft2 195lbs and rode a ninja 300 for 2 seasons. I had a lot of fun with it...very nimble, didn't feel cramped and did highway easily. Affordable insurance was a big motivating factor as well.

CB500F is a great bike too, little more powerful but heavier so similar performance to the 300s, less nimble but more midrange torque and roomier. The added weight feels better on the highway, too.

SVF650 is not a bad bike for a beginner, but it would be better to start on a smaller one. I have an sv650s and I believe if you respect the bike, it shouldn't be a problem. I was actually planning on getting the RC390 initially but then I found my sv for a good deal. I have some experience riding though and I think it will take me few years to even reach anywhere close to the limits of the sv. It's a very capable bike.

I'm just trying to avoid getting too much bike and not getting my skills up
Start with a Ninja 400 or similar if this is really what you're looking for. All the best! :)

For additional context here I am 6'3" and 200 lbs which I assume does impact the sizing of the bikes here
you'll feel much like a pretzel on the SV ...upright riding is like the CB300F or for your size the CB500x is safer and more comfortable. A Vstrom 650 is okay given your size.
Even a KLR650 works for you but depends if your insurance is cc based entirely

There are also variations on the SV as some are more radical seating than others.

You can check the seating position. My son had the SV650s and he was hurting after an hour riding.
Yamaha FZ6 is excellent if insurance allows but again you might feel cramped.
You would for sure on a CB300F or any of the CB300 variations.

CB500x would be perfect if you can find a deal but high prices

loads of Vstroms tho

This is a super deal 2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom $ 3,300 | Sport Touring | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Don't be afraid of the mileage. They are very durable and you are big enough to use it as a starter

you'll feel much like a pretzel on the SV ...upright riding is like the CB300F or for your size the CB500x is safer and more comfortable. A Vstrom 650 is okay given your size.
Even a KLR650 works for you but depends if your insurance is cc based entirely

There are also variations on the SV as some are more radical seating than others.

You can check the seating position. My son had the SV650s and he was hurting after an hour riding.
Yamaha FZ6 is excellent if insurance allows but again you might feel cramped.
You would for sure on a CB300F or any of the CB300 variations.

CB500x would be perfect if you can find a deal but high prices

loads of Vstroms tho

This is a super deal 2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom $ 3,300 | Sport Touring | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Don't be afraid of the mileage. They are very durable and you are big enough to use it as a starter
Appreciate the great info! I think the cbr500r or the cb500f is what I'm leaning as they are smaller and I won't feel like I'm too intimidated by the bike.

Yes that was my starter bike and I moved onto something with better ergonomics so I can go on longer rides

edit

The V-Storm could be the better option and keep it for 5+ years

Try sitting on a V Strom 650 at a dealership, to get a feel for the ergonomics in case you have finalized the SV. Same engine.

I am 6"2, 95 kilos, and I sat on both the SV and the V Strom at a motorcycle show. The SV felt tiny, cramped for my long legs. The V felt just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom