Is it worth doing my M1 test/M2 course now even if way before getting a bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it worth doing my M1 test/M2 course now even if way before getting a bike?

johnnnw

Insurance wise.

Is the time you've had your M1/M2 a big factor in getting a lower insurance rate? Should I worry about getting it as soon as possible because I'm anticipating a bike eventually?

Definitely yes.

They ask you how long you have had your license for, not how long you have actually ridden a bike for.
For most people a bike is a secondary/leisure vehicle so experience gains on bikes can vary way too much from person to person.
Some bikes sadly only see 1000kms a year, whereas others see year-round daily operation.

When people around me say they want to get a bike some day, I tell them to get their license now.

Yeah, get it as soon as possible. When doing some quotes online I found that some quotes would drop almost in half if I had my M2 for a year.

Definitely yes.

They ask you how long you have had your license for, not how long you have actually ridden a bike for.
For most people a bike is a secondary/leisure vehicle so experience gains on bikes can vary way too much from person to person.
Some bikes sadly only see 1000kms a year, whereas others see year-round daily operation.

When people around me say they want to get a bike some day, I tell them to get their license now.

I suspected this, thank you for the information

I was kind of hoping to get one this year, I was set on a GS500, just couldn't work it out this year. So now I'm hoping next year.

I think I'm ready enough to do it on Monday, so I don't see why not get it as early as possible!

I was kind of hoping to get one this year, I was set on a GS500, just couldn't work it out this year. So now I'm hoping next year.

I think I'm ready enough to do it on Monday, so I don't see why not get it as early as possible!

I had "three years experience" when I got my first bike. I was able to get insurance on my SV for 1250$ for the year instead of 3k+.
The GS500 is a great first bike. My gf has one right now and I rode it a lot last year since I didn't have a bike and my Jeep got stolen. Super simple bike, great to learn riding because it is very forgiving. Also easy to do regular maintenance on it as well, you'll learn a lot if you aren't afraid to use basic hand tools.

I had "three years experience" when I got my first bike. I was able to get insurance on my SV for 1250$ for the year instead of 3k+.
The GS500 is a great first bike. My gf has one right now and I rode it a lot last year since I didn't have a bike and my Jeep got stolen. Super simple bike, great to learn riding because it is very forgiving. Also easy to do regular maintenance on it as well, you'll learn a lot if you aren't afraid to use basic hand tools.

That's one of the things I'm excited for, learning how to do maintenance and how the different things work. I will for sure be trying to do some myself, I have heard other places to that the gs500 is a good choice. Didn't want the typical 250 starter and the it seemed like the next best choice.

Thats crazy the difference in insurance, now I'm wishing I got it two years ago when I first starting thinking about it.

Yes, unless you have a sparkly clean record and are over 25 (Statefarm). Regardless, a lot of companies give you discounts based on how long you've held your license.

I had a GS500F. Great starter bike, extremely forgiving...but it also felt really really fat compared to my gf's 250 lol

The Ninja 300s, btw, are quite amazing from the reviews I've read.

That's exactly the situation I was in last year. Wanted to start on a GS500 but insurance was unreasonable. Told myself I'll do the MSF course and wait a year. A week after the MSF course, I had purchased myself a ninja 250. A year later, sold the 250 and bought a Daytona 675. True story.

Yes it is worth it if you can hold off after getting a taste of it. I couldn't.

Last edited:
Get your license. It will be the incentive to actually get the bike. Don't procrastinate with the license, then you will procrastinate on the bike as well.

Get your license. It will be the incentive to actually get the bike. Don't procrastinate with the license, then you will procrastinate on the bike as well.

Haha yeah you're probably right...

To go along with it, the cheaper the insurance quote is the more likely I am to get it, so that goes hand in hand with the procrastination

I had my insurance company quote my er6n after having my license 364 days and then 1 year exactly just out of curiosity. difference of over $3000. The girl on the phone checked it a few times because she couldn't believe it.

Guess my riding really improved overnight

It will let you know if you even want to ride, afterwards.

Best to try it, before you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom