Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream?

thanks for the input everyone, I may be moving to the innisfil area before next year and hopefully that will help out my odds, still gonna shop for the insurance and if i cant get it on the r6 i guess ill have to settle for an fz-09.

I'm the same age, same number of tickets and with 3 years of riding experience and I was quoted around 350-380 a month on an r6. I currently live in caledon so I'm sure that makes a big difference.

thanks for the input everyone, I may be moving to the innisfil area before next year and hopefully that will help out my odds, still gonna shop for the insurance and if i cant get it on the r6 i guess ill have to settle for an fz-09.

Settle, lol. Good one!

Remember that when you're dusting them all over the streets.

I'm with Evoex on this one, unless you're planning on doing some seriously illegal speeds on a regular basis there are many bikes that will hang with ss bikes on the streets. Just look up the fastest bikes 0-60mph and you'll see the FZ09 is very close to the top of the list.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Its more about my style of riding not trying to fly down the 401 between traffic doing a wheelie or anything just love the handling, seating position, sound, look and engine of Yamaha SS. Don't get me wrong my close buddy just sold his fz-10, he let me rip it around the block and I liked it a lot as well and it had ridiculous torque, Im just biased for the r6, always have been.

I'd say if you're gonna go for an SS, might as well go big. R1 sounds way better.

22 y/o male...

Stay focused on the SS dream. Life's too short. One day you'll wake up a middle-aged man with a bad back, sore knees and a fat mortgage.

elon-musk.jpg

Insurance is based on RISK. You have already shown your a BAD risk, (2 speeding tickets), in your cage, (which presumably is NOT a high performance luxury sports car).

So now your going to call your insurer and advise you want to a high performance sport bike, (with more than enough power to get into S172 territory in first gear). Your hoping they will ignore the proven fact that your prone to exceeding the limit in your car, but your GOING to behave on an R6?...LOL

Not going to happen. Stop trying to justify the purchase on seat height, etc. You WANT the R6 because you THINK it will make you a badass.

Being a former copper, I can tell you, your too immature, (based upon your driving history), to handle an R6. It may very well get you one of two things...

DEAD, or unable to ride after getting dinged for S172.

As a few MUCH wiser and experienced riders have recommended, STAY with the 500 until you learn to control your urges for speed. Then get the bike YOU want, most likely after your 25. I know at your age that seems like an eternity, BUT in those 3 years you can hine your riding skills and become a rider worthy of an SS

or pick up the R6 and go to the track with it. $0 on insurance. For $5000, you can run a whole season with entry fees, tires, gas, etc. Plus you'll be come a way better rider. They are built for the track. Bring it to its happy place.

+1

What bothers me is having a performance vehicle and not being able to use 90% of the potential. Insurance and HTA-172 put a quick end to fun. Go track and find a class to match your skills.

Stay focused on the SS dream. Life's too short. One day you'll wake up a middle-aged man with a bad back, sore knees and a fat mortgage.

Hey Hey stop that
Me and brother Joe don't like to hear the truth
At least you left the belly out of it

No worse feeling than looking into your garage and seeing something there you dont love, or that doesn't excite you. If a 600cc is really what you desire, than go for it.

No worse feeling than looking into your garage and seeing something there you dont love, or that doesn't excite you. If a 600cc is really what you desire, than go for it.

I think an even worse feeling would be to have your dream bike sitting in your garage unridable because you can't afford insurance..
There are plenty of bikes to "fall in love with" and he's got plenty of years to "fall in love with them"

Quite frankly based on his age the only reason he probably wants to ride the R6 is because its "the most badass bike" amongst his age group.

If one is stupid enough to follow the common path without questioning what they are doing, they deserve the wake up call when it's too late.

I think an even worse feeling would be to have your dream bike sitting in your garage unridable because you can't afford insurance..
There are plenty of bikes to "fall in love with" and he's got plenty of years to "fall in love with them"

Quite frankly based on his age the only reason he probably wants to ride the R6 is because its "the most badass bike" amongst his age group.

Thanks for your condescending comment, I never said buy a bike you can't afford.

Maybe he wants to ride a r6 because it's a gorgeous bike that puts out amazing sounds and has some decent power. You should stop assuming things based on age.

If I listened to all the retirees on this forum I would still be riding a 125cc and be bored out of my mind

Thanks for your condescending comment, I never said buy a bike you can't afford.

Maybe he wants to ride a r6 because it's a gorgeous bike that puts out amazing sounds and has some decent power. You should stop assuming things based on age.

If I listened to all the retirees on this forum I would still be riding a 125cc and be bored out of my mind

All I'm saying is he could fall in love with something else given the chance... And come on don't be naive anyone under 25 goes uber wet my pants for R6s..

It is absolutely a gorgeous bike but so are a lot of other bikes old and new...

My comment was about having his dream bike (obviously being an R6) sitting in his garage because he can't afford insurance because everyone knows insurance on that bike is bananas.. even for riders that are in their 30s/40s with years of experience.. this guy has 1 year experience.. 2 tickets and he's 22

Ain't nothing condescending about it homie.. its facts

Last edited:

As someone who just came from an FZ09, i'm having a complete blast on my 125!

As someone who just came from an FZ09, i'm having a complete blast on my 125!

^ agreed lol. I picked up a grom this year and its sparked my love for riding again believe it or not lol. Been on the street for almost 7 years now, started on a ninja 250 and have had almost everything else in between, nakeds, 2 supersports, a couple dual sports/supermotos and even a harley sportster. Now I just have my yz125 a drz400sm and a grom and I'm loving it. I used to feel the exact same as the OP. I NEEDED a cbr600rr when I first got into riding. So I got it. Paid almost $300/month to insure it and sold it within a year. What a dumb move haha. But sometimes we need to experience it for ourselves because we wont listen to anyone else. Lesson learned.

I eventually went back to a gsxr600 once insurance became affordable and quickly realized the SS life wasn't for me. Not in the gta anyway.

Last edited:
I just came here to tell you to never give up on your dreams. When there's a will, there's a way.

I just came here to tell you to never give up on your dreams. When there's a will, there's a way.
That's the most inspirational and actually applicable thing I've read on GTAM, ever.
But as others have noted, you do have time. Also, you can try going for a couple test rides on some at a Yamaha dealership to really feel it during season. Or this season, you still got a couple months before they'll probably say no.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom