Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream?

ScottMoto

22 y/o male. Will have had insurance on my '17 cbr 500r for a year (put about 4500Km on it this year) when I want to upgrade. Living in the rural area of Brampton. Two speeding tickets (15 over both times), no claims

I've gotten to the point on my bike where feel I am way too tall for the 500 and have enough experience to be comfortable on something bigger.

Is finding insurance for a 2017 R6 a possibility next summer or will they make me keep on waiting?

willing to pay what I have to to a degree but anything over $5000 a year is ridiculous.

Brampton
Male
1 Year Experience
2 Speeding Tickets

Give up on the dream.

"I've gotten to the point on my bike where feel I am way too tall for the 500 and have enough experience to be comfortable on something bigger.
Is finding insurance for a 2017 R6 a possibility next summer or will they make me keep on waiting?"

This is confusing; an R6 isn't much taller then a CBR500R, but it is a lot wider, heavier, more powerful and has bigger brakes.
An adventure bike is a taller bike.
Will the insurance company stick it to your rates if you try to upgrade to a high performance sport bike in view of your driver history :/ well yes of course they will and they might not make you wait long for that to happen. Will they still offer you outrageous expensive insurance on a brand new R6 next year, probably yes, it's cheap insurance that is impossible to find.

I sat on my buddies 2015 R6 and i felt a lot more comfortable for me, maybe it isnt much taller but that is obviously not the only reason I'm looking at r6s :p

22 y/o male. Will have had insurance on my '17 cbr 500r for a year (put about 4500Km on it this year) when I want to upgrade. Living in the rural area of Brampton. Two speeding tickets (15 over both times)...

Starting post reads like one of those don't be that guy write ups;
Guy buys reasonable first motorcycle, thinks he has out grown it after barely learning to ride the thing, needs something bigger and faster to end the story. Don't be that guy.

They were in my car over the last 3 years, never gotten a ticket on my bike
Heck, in my books that barely counts then :I too bad I'm not your insurance underwriter.

... at present you are probably at most using about half your bikes performance ability, upgrade the rider before you upgrade to a bike that exceeds the riders abilities.
... and stay out of the car.

Last edited:
IMO Keep the cbr500 for another 3 years until you turn 25; that historically has been where insurance rates drop quickly, AND the tickets on your record now will be gone by then ... provided you don't get any more.

FWIW the cbr500 is arguably the better street bike than an R6; even an R3 is arguably the better street bike due to having a more rational, comfortable riding position and an engine tuned for a more useful torque curve. You don't need the extra power. The carrying-a-passenger argument doesn't fly, because no one would want to be a passenger on an R6 anyhow ... the passenger seat is a torture instrument.

You may just want to do your level best to keep your nose clean. One more ticket and your insurance company may want out of the ScottMoto business. A drivers abstract shows no favourites or prejudices.

Sell the 500, get a 125, and learn to ride on the street first.

With two tickets in one year's experience, you're pricing yourself out of motorcycling altogether.

If you have to scratch your need for speed, then sell/modify/trade the 500 for a track bike, and just do track.

I don't know you and I'm not going to try to judge your riding skills or prowess. Just going to say I had a CBR500R for two months before I was ready to move on; I know the feeling.

However, you've got some serious strikes. Speeding tickets, location, age, gender and the type of bike you want mean you're going to pay through the arse (if you can find coverage at all.)

There's nothing wrong with the 500. I agree with Brian P: Keep it for a few more years, put a few thousand more KMs on it, work on your skills, self-control/restraint (vis. speeding tickets...) etc and save up.

As Evoex points out, nakeds are seen differently by insurance companies than race-reps. They're way more practical, comfortable, tolerable. Call your insurance company and ask what an FZ8 would cost to insure and compare it to the figures you're getting for the R6. You might be surprised.

2012-yamaha-fz8-2.jpg

or pick up the R6 and go to the track with it. $0 on insurance. For $5000, you can run a whole season with entry fees, tires, gas, etc. Plus you'll be come a way better rider. They are built for the track. Bring it to its happy place.

Personally...
Your age..the fact that you have 2 tickets(regardless of in car/motorcycle...like someone said.. 1 license) and you're looking at one of the most notoriously un insurable motorcycles on the market..

Good luck buddy, not gonna happen for anything under 6k minimum

or pick up the R6 and go to the track with it. $0 on insurance. For $5000, you can run a whole season with entry fees, tires, gas, etc. Plus you'll be come a way better rider. They are built for the track. Bring it to its happy place.

You and I both know that riders looking for SS initially have no interest in track riding but are interested in street penis size.

...well, at least that's what I got into it for. It just so happens I now have one of the largest street penises with somewhat mediocre track skills to back it up.

When you get one speeding ticket, you need to ride/drive more slowly until that's off your record.

Having a street 600 with two speeding tickets would be an exercise in frustration;
possibly leading to a voluntary donation to the government of a whole lot of time & money.

Back
Top Bottom