Is It Still a Seller's Market? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is It Still a Seller's Market?

Green Meenie

The euphoria of the first warm spring days are over now and just recently the overbearing heat of summer has arrived. My question is, when does buying a used motorcycle become more of a buyer's market than a seller's market. Is it July, August or even Sept.?

I'm talking about average sellers here. I know it's probably best to shop late fall when people who don't want to store a bike will be extra motivated to sell but at what point do you think the market in used bikes tilts toward buyers rather than sellers? I also realize many sellers can't properly evaluate their bikes worth regardless of the season.

The second question I have is are sellers of SS bikes more motivated to sell these days regardless of season than they were a few years ago, given that the cost of insurance is now through the roof for SS bikes, once you find an insurer who still insures them. Surely that market must be a lot tougher than 4 or 5 years ago for sellers.

The euphoria of the first warm spring days are over now and just recently the overbearing heat of summer has arrived. My question is, when does buying a used motorcycle become more of a buyer's market than a seller's market. Is it July, August or even Sept.?

I'm talking about average sellers here. I know it's probably best to shop late fall when people who don't want to store a bike will be extra motivated to sell but at what point do you think the market in used bikes tilts toward buyers rather than sellers? I also realize many sellers can't properly evaluate their bikes worth regardless of the season.

The second question I have is are sellers of SS bikes more motivated to sell these days regardless of season than they were a few years ago, given that the cost of insurance is now through the roof for SS bikes, once you find an insurer who still insures them. Surely that market must be a lot tougher than 4 or 5 years ago for sellers.
We are there now. Anyone with a hard-on for a for a bike has it by now. Lots of those newbies get scared off quickly, their bikes are now for sale.

imho One good measure of the used bike market is the advertised sale prices on new bike stock: Special Offer
When many of the new Honda's are being list discounted by 300 to 3000$ you know the market is soft and supply is high. Used bike sellers have to lower their prices proportionately, or they are just beating the bushes for uninformed buyers.

+ When you go for a ride and see more bikes parked on lawns with for sale signs on them then you see actually riding on the road, you know it's because people can't afford their insurance. There are a Lot of lawn ornament motorcycles out there right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom