Is helmet theft/ vandalism a thing in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is helmet theft/ vandalism a thing in Toronto?

account_name

So from what I can see on Peter and Simcoe Sts.. Seems like 100% of riders bring their helmet along with them. Is this due to a theft/vandalism issue?

I bought a cheapo helmet lock, but probably would only use it when I hop into a store for a few minutes...
US $14.02 10% OFF|Helmet Lock For YAMAHA YFM GRIZZLY 700 600 550 530 450/KODIAK 450 400 350 Hanging Hook 2 Keys Durable Handlebar Clamp Motorcycle-in Locks & Latches from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

Probably more for protection against stupidity or weather. Like it or lots, lots of knobs throw a leg over random bikes. If your helmet takes a fall, are you going to trust your life to it?

Dropping a helmet won't do much damage, but I don't leave out because of dirt collected in the helmet. I'm going to put it on my face so I rather have it clean.

Not worth it, too many weirdos in Toronto. Someone took a **** in a guy's helmet on Reddit. that was enough to convince me to not lock it to the bike.

Makes a good shopping basket anyways (y)

Leave it on the bike it makes a great urinal for someone.... Why I pretty much always take it with me, likely doesn't happen very often but why chance it--I don't want to be the guy everyone talks about...

I had my brand new matte black Icon Alliance with a new visor as well tossed off my bike and thrown to the ground. Along with the gloves i had in the helmet too. Some people are just big **** disturbers downtown mind you, I was close to UofT campus so Im sure some kids got a kick out of it. Campus police wrote a report and checked cams but they were all obstructed (classic).

Typically now, unless its a quick store run or I dont have the hands for it, I almost always bring the helmet with me. Its too much of a task to trust anyone in the public to not vandalize anything valuable.

Would a cop allow a rider to get home without a lid? Probably not so a stolen helmet is like losing the keys. Walk the bike.Yeah too many A-H's out there. I do up the strap and hang the lid from my elbow.

not worth the risk

I leave my helmet in the locked top box. Out of sight and out of the weather.

I can't believe how many bikes I've seen with the helmet sitting on a mirror or seat. Since I need my helmet to ride home I'll lock it up where it won't be tampered with.

Bought one of these from gp bikes, it’s enough to deter most thieves.

9c2e319060b11d1a219f3a9c4fb4b890.jpg

Dumbasses will steal anything, even if they don't have a use for it.
How many chained up bicycle frames do you see with no seats or front wheels ?
How many seats and wheels does one person need ?

I look at the convenience and site lines of leaving my helmet and gear on the bike when stopping for a meal vs. the incredible pain and show stopping reality of some idiot stealing them, effectively leaving me stranded in Podunk, OH on a Sunday morning. It can be a hassle to lug these things into a restaurant but more often than not I do it.

I should say that in all of the years of riding with others who leave their gear unattended we've never experience a theft of any type.

When I used to park my gsxr downtown Toronto, I tied the helmet cover around the helmet and would lock the strings inside the tail under the solo seat cover. That way I'd know if someone screwed around with the helmet. I was there only during the day and UofT has plenty of people around all the time so wasn't really worried.

Also depends on the lid you have. No way I'd leave my Vision Arai XD-4 or Shoei RF1200 out, now 5 years down the road when they may need replacing, I may chance it here and there lol

Back
Top Bottom