Is clutchless shifting bad for your bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is clutchless shifting bad for your bike?

I read on someones sig that "Braking with your engine, breaks your engine." Thats the only thing I am worried about when downshifting to slow down.

I read on someones sig that "Braking with your engine, breaks your engine." Thats the only thing I am worried about when downshifting to slow down.

Ya that's incorrect, using the engine braking to help slow you down will not "break" your engine lol.

hmm..would you guys rather have a quickshifter installed or a evo shift star kit installed on a (mostly) track bike

As long as the revs stay within redline by some margin, it will be fine.

Don't downshift to 2nd gear at 200 km/h and let out the clutch. No rev limiter or slipper clutch can protect against mechanical over-revving in that manner.

Clearly you've never used one. Through the gears under load is smooth as butter.

This is regarding a quick-shifter. Key words being "under load". Part throttle upshifts when riding on the street, and the rider feathering the clutch to try to make a bumpless shift ... and the quick-shifter cuts engine power completely in the midst of this ... results in a messy, rough, lurchy shift. Been there.

I have a quick-shifter on a bike that I use for both street and occasional drag-strip. I had to install an additional microswitch on the clutch actuation lever to only allow the signal from the quick-shifter to go through if the clutch is completely disengaged. Now it works correctly ... if I upshift without the clutch, it does a quickshift, and if I'm using the clutch lever, it doesn't. It works the way these things SHOULD work ...

Clearly you've never used one. Through the gears under load is smooth as butter.

This is regarding a quick-shifter. Key words being "under load". Part throttle upshifts when riding on the street, and the rider feathering the clutch to try to make a bumpless shift ... and the quick-shifter cuts engine power completely in the midst of this ... results in a messy, rough, lurchy shift. Been there.

I have a quick-shifter on a bike that I use for both street and occasional drag-strip. I had to install an additional microswitch on the clutch actuation lever to only allow the signal from the quick-shifter to go through if the clutch is completely disengaged. Now it works correctly ... if I upshift without the clutch, it does a quickshift, and if I'm using the clutch lever, it doesn't. It works the way these things SHOULD work ...

I have a factory quick shifter. It works smooth as can be under full load. Almost as smooth with partial throttle. Rare occassion that it gives a slight hiccough. Anyone that finds it bucking like a bronco on a partial load shift should be looking at the quality of the shifter, I would think.

The OEM one could be smart enough to only do it when needed - it's pretty likely that clutch status is an input to the ECU (don't know for sure).

I fully agree with stating that Power Commander is crap. Indeed, it is. But for the bike that I have, it's the only game in town, and everyone knows how to use it. That doesn't stop it from being crap.

For example, even if you set the Power Commander to only do a quickshift above a certain RPM setpoint ... it still false-triggers well below that RPM setpoint.

I have a factory quick shifter. It works smooth as can be under full load. Almost as smooth with partial throttle. Rare occassion that it gives a slight hiccough. Anyone that finds it bucking like a bronco on a partial load shift should be looking at the quality of the shifter, I would think.

There's nothing wrong with my quick shifter setup, quality is not the issue I can assure you of that. I can shift smoother with the clutch at partial throttle and I'm sure your oem setup is quite nice.

Back
Top Bottom