Is a 250 dirt bike a good learning bike for my daughter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is a 250 dirt bike a good learning bike for my daughter

Need to be a bit more specific.What is a Honda 250R? Is your ex a qualified motorcycle instructor? Does your daughter know what a clutch is?

Same thing I was wondering, is it a CRF250r ? That's like a 9 grand full on competition motocross bike, or a CBR250r which is a relatively mild tuned sport styled street bike?

We have no idea what the riders size or athletic abilities are, if she is a bicycle rider, skier, skateboarder, gymnast etc. all of those things can actually help a lot as it indicates balance and coordination abilities.

She is not athletic. She is 5 foot 5 inches tall. She tried to sit on the bike and it fell over. He is not a certified instructor. This is his bike.

Might be okay as a "here's what a motorcycle is" deal but if the XSO is trying to teach her how to ride, it sounds like a bad idea to me. Get her into a certified course. They'll have a bike that will suit her and trainers that know what they're doing.

IMHO. YMMV.

Even as an experienced rider, the first time on a digger dirt bike(250cc) I nearly looped it. Big wheelie. Rode the 100 the rest of the day. lol

She is not athletic. She is 5 foot 5 inches tall. She tried to sit on the bike and it fell over. He is not a certified instructor. This is his bike.
There are far worse bikes to learn on but I predict that progress will be slow and difficult, desire to get back up and try again will be vital. If you put her on a Honda 125 Grom or a 250 Trials bike for a day first that would have been far more enjoyable and she would learn far more easily. If the bike is a CRF that indicates it is a 4-stroke and at least the bike will have some manageable power down low and power delivery will be fairly linear, if it is an older CR250R that would be a 2-stroke motor and have way more difficult to control power delivery. Bars are nice and wide which will give a new rider decent control, bike is fairly light which is good and mostly plastic shielded which is good for when she falls down, saddle height and long, stiff suspension best suited to high speed spirited riding will not work in her favour.
Hopefully she will be wearing full face helmet, gloves and proper dirt riding boots.
Best luck to her and let us know how she fairs, hopefully it will at least be fun to try.

It's prolly too late now. RUN away from this offer.It's a VERY bad idea.

I hope somebody is getting video of this.

A crf250r is very prone to wheelies and looping out in the hands of the inexperienced. Not a good idea.
Now if she was learning on a crf230f, ttr125 etc. That would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

A 150 dual sport is the best choice for "most" new riders to learn on.Especially if they don't know what a clutch is.A 250 is too big even if it's a trials bike imho. Here's a vid of my daughter a few years ago on a 250 1/2 an hour into her first ever experience.

Last edited:
lol see! video is an awesome learning tool.
She looked pretty safe there, compared to what it would have been on a 125cc 2-stroke motocross bike.

Good! ... the suspense is killing us. Were any motorcycles harmed in the making of this movie?

I remember my very first bike, a Yamaha dt50mx . That was perfect for a beginner I thought. Can’t imagine how much trouble I would have gotten into with a larger bike at a young age. As it was I got in trouble for taking short cuts across the front lawn of the school. Took it down to the beach and set up an old door as a ramp to play on. Rode it miles to an abandoned quarry to play in too. Quite amazing how much fun you can have on a smaller displacement bike (I was younger and a lot lighter then though).

Back
Top Bottom