Is a 15 over ticket worth fighting? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is a 15 over ticket worth fighting?

trilea

Hey I got a ticket for 15 over in a 50 zone. Its my first ticket ever and i am currently 24 I was wondering if its worth fighting it since the fine is only ~$50 and it would be considered a minor infraction by the insurance company.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey I got a ticket for 15 over in a 50 zone. Its my first ticket ever and i am currently 24 I was wondering if its worth fighting it since the fine is only ~$50 and it would be considered a minor infraction by the insurance company.

Thanks
Most insurance companies give you one minor ticket free in any three-year period. Some let you have two free.

Unless you've decided to become a habitual ticket-gatherer, it's going to be far more cost-effective and a lot less hassle to just pay the ticket and watch the speedo a bit more carefully in future. Or, pay your hundreds to a ticket fighter in hopes of getting the ticket tossed.

By the way, you didn't say if the cop reduced the ticket or not. If the cop did reduce the ticket, and you choose to fight it, more and more the Crown will proceed with the original "unlowered" speed you were actually caught at. One more thing to consider.

By the way, you didn't say if the cop reduced the ticket or not. If the cop did reduce the ticket, and you choose to fight it, more and more the Crown will proceed with the original "unlowered" speed you were actually caught at. One more thing to consider.

That actually doesn't matter all that much for insurance purposes, unless the original speed would qualify it as a "major" offense.

O yeah sorry it was reduced but he didnt put an R in the code box or anything. I asked this question because I remember hearing that you get a big discount in insurance when you hit 25 but only if you have a clean record. Given that im 24 i was wondering if this ticket would disqualify me from getting that large discount.
Thanks again

I asked this question because I remember hearing that you get a big discount in insurance when you hit 25 but only if you have a clean record.

I believe that the discount has more to do with falling into a different category than with your current record. The new premiums would take into account a single ticket, but I'm pretty sure you'd still get some discount.

Ask in the insurance forum. There are people there who work in that business.

O yeah sorry it was reduced but he didnt put an R in the code box or anything. I asked this question because I remember hearing that you get a big discount in insurance when you hit 25 but only if you have a clean record. Given that im 24 i was wondering if this ticket would disqualify me from getting that large discount.
Thanks again
The R doesn't have to appear on the ticket. Your actual speed will be in his notes, and his notes are considered evidence. The age 25 "discount" is really just you falling into a different and lower cost basic rating category given your current age.

Yes. Always fight your tickets.

Unless you've decided to become a habitual ticket-gatherer, it's going to be far more cost-effective and a lot less hassle to just pay the ticket and watch the speedo a bit more carefully in future. Or, pay your hundreds to a ticket fighter in hopes of getting the ticket tossed.

LOL what a load. Does getting 2 tickets within a 3 year period in speed trap city really make somebody a habitual ticket-gatherer? because that's all it takes to get ****ed in the turbodish by insurance companies.

Fight the ticket because you are almost certain to get more, it's become part of driving life. Fight it yourself and it costs nothing but your own time and effort.

it's in your best interest (and your RIGHT) to fight ALL speeding tickets.

I used to just pay minor tickets but no more. Fight every ticket, even if you are guilty. It's in your best interest to not accumulate tickets.

Fight the ticket because you are almost certain to get more, it's become part of driving life.
Yes, there are those who get tickets all the time. Those types of drivers should be so proud because they are oh so special.

However, there are many more who never get even a one or who get them so infrequently that they never have to give a second thought to potential insurance issues arising from them.

turbo is right about the crown more recently going with the original speed rather then the reduced speed.

what was the original speed.

Yes, there are those who get tickets all the time. Those types of drivers should be so proud because they are oh so special.

However, there are many more who never get even a one or who get them so infrequently that they never have to give a second thought to potential insurance issues arising from them.

Yeah....

I've been driving since 2007 and spent a good 3 years at the university of Western Ontario with a **** box Corolla. My total distance driven since then is around 200,000km~, give or take a couple thousand because I drove back to Markham each weekend. I have NEVER gotten into an accident, ticket, or anything of the sort. I stay close to to the speed limit (+10 at most), and am constantly scanning my surroundings; most importantly I just assume everyone is a ****ing retard. But, the most important part is to smile at the ****ing retards when they cut you off or almost swerve into you instead of cutting them off by flooring it (*cough* my father, and many others, I really don't blame you guys tho).

You sound like a safe guy, just watch it closer next time.

P.S. I do speed, but I only do on roads that I know never have cops =D ie. I only speed on roads I am familiar with.

Spend the 300$ to fight it. I fought my one and only speedig ticket also had an exp INS slip and got off on both. It was around 350$ and I didn't have to take a day off to go to court, well worth the clean record

My dad had a ticket for 10 over and his insurance went up, so fight it.

Most insurance companies give you one minor ticket free in any three-year period. Some let you have two free.

It would be great to know where you got that information.
Can you please post the list of companies that let you have 2 "free" tickets?

It would be great to know where you got that information.
Can you please post the list of companies that let you have 2 "free" tickets?
From the FSCO web site:
Your driving record: The premium you pay also depends on your driving record. This includes accidents where you are more than 25 per cent at-fault1, the length of time you have been licensed to drive, whether or not you have taken a driver-training course that your insurance company recognizes, and driving convictions (such as: speeding and impaired or careless driving).

Generally, your first minor conviction will have little or no impact on your rates. But if you have had a second minor conviction in the last three years, it will most likely affect your premium. If you have had accidents where you are more than 25 per cent at-fault over the last six years2, or a number of minor driving convictions or even one major or serious conviction over the last three years, your premium will be higher.

Likewise, the better your driving record, the lower your premium will be.
Wawanesa is one company that lets you have two tickets free. This is from the driving information section on my upcoming renewal. Everyone's renewal will have something similar reflecting their insurance company's rating criteria.
Driving Record Description:
6 - Principle Driver: Licensed and accident free for 6 years; No Criminal Code conviction or more than 2 traffic violations in the past 3 years;
Or the vehicle (or a prior vehicle): No accident(s) in the past 6 years;
Or other drivers: No accident(s) in the past 6 years

Last edited:
Also, from the IBC web site:
How do convictions affect my premium?
Driving convictions, including seatbelt infractions, may affect your rating in several ways
depending on the number and type. Premium calculations vary by company. Contact your insurance representative if you’re concerned about how a conviction will affect your renewal premium.

To be eligible for preferred rating plans, such as "six star," you must have a clear record or no more than one or two minor driving convictions (requirements vary by insurance company).

Additional convictions usually result in the loss of your preferred status and discounted
premiums. So, in addition to the fine you pay, your insurance costs can go up.

Insurance companies may also levy a premium surcharge if you have several minor driving offences or one of the more serious offences under the Criminal Code of Canada or the Highway Traffic Act. Surcharges vary by company but many use the Facility Association rules as a guideline.

The following is an example of premium surcharges the Facility Association applies on private passenger vehicles:

Minor
One conviction 0%
Two convictions 5%
Three convictions 15%
Four convictions 25%
Each additional 15%

Major
One conviction 15%
Each additional 25%

Serious
One conviction 100%
Each additional 100%

Note: The maximum surcharge the Facility Association applies is 250%.
The net of all this is that for many drivers, even most drivers who are not habitual ticket collectors, it is not worth fighting an occasional minor traffic ticket, especially if that ticket has already been lowered at roadside. You risk paying good time and money (over and above the actual fine amount) and hassle to fight a ticket that has already been lowered and that can go back up to its original amount if you lose. And for what? To avoid a feared insurance rate increase that for most people simply will not happen?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom