IOM | GTAMotorcycle.com

IOM

timtune

Site Supporter
Sister and BIL were in the Isle of Mann late august-ish. It wasn't the TT but there was racing. The Squeeze now thinks we should go. Gotta love that!.
The TT would be a bit crazy. Anyone been to IOM for racing other than the TT. Thoughts.

IoM bit coming up on Sixty Minutes in.......minutes.

Just watched it. Not great but too bad considering the audiences they were aiming at.
Would have been nice to have mentioned the Dunlop clan, John McGuinness or maybe even Guy Martin[closed captions required] lol.

... and the Manx has more Vintage than the IOM. Same course, same corner workers, more of a Amateur focus.
You'll need a FIM license, and to get a FIM license you need CMA endorsement. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Maybe now that queenbee has stepped down, it might be possible. Dunno... but you'll need a Canadian racing history, some recognized race organization HERE has to sign off on you.
Or you can try to join an Irish or British racing club, but then you need that club to sign off and you, so you'll have to win some local races.
If you can get a license, you apply (some classes are over subscribed and have waiting list) and ManxGP gives you a starting number (with a bunch of conditions; medical report, copy of your medical insurance, passport and travel documents...for you AND your four track bitches[I think it was four, you need crew to enter] ) and that gets you into the "new comers" race. Your finishing time in the new comers has to be no more than 110% of the winning time. OH YEAH... and there's restrictions as to what bike you can enter in the new comers... you might need to import more than one bike.
If you finish in 110% of winning time of the new comers, you get a provisional ManxGP license, with which you can enter a "class" race.
If you finish in 110% of the winning time of the "class" race, you can enter that class at the IOM... where ALL the classes are over subscribed... except sidecars.
The IOM and the Manx are but two stops on the Irish Road Racing circuit. There's LOTS of road racing in Ireland. My favorite is the Skerries... what a PERFECT name for a motorcycle race... Guy Martin described it as "Moto cross on a superbike"
If you're ever gonna consider racing on the IOM, BOOK A FERRY RESERVATION NOW

Just watched it. Not great but too bad considering the audiences they were aiming at.
Would have been nice to have mentioned the Dunlop clan, John McGuinness or maybe even Guy Martin[closed captions (with asterisks) required] lol.

FTFY

So here is the schedule for the 2024 IOM Grand Prix.
What the heck happens on Sunday? Does the whole thing just take a day off when they're into the good stuff?

Last edited:
Mad Sunday
The course is open to the public and the towns all have a fair... with rides and games and a big pissup at he end of the day.
Sunday is a party.

Good to know. Thanks.

A bit OT perhaps, but why do we never see the "infuluencer" riders like MaxxWrist and all those other d̶o̶o̶f̶u̶s̶e̶s̶ pro riders at IOM? Since they're all the super de-duper bestest riders, you'd think they'd rush to the island to show their prowess to the world.

A bit OT perhaps, but why do we never see the "infuluencer" riders like MaxxWrist and all those other d̶o̶o̶f̶u̶s̶e̶s̶ pro riders at IOM? Since they're all the super de-duper bestest riders, you'd think they'd rush to the island to show their prowess to the world.
I can't see IOM letting them ride. They don't want to be associated with those idiots.

I can't see IOM letting them ride. They don't want to be associated with those idiots.

But....but....they're the bestest riders out there! lol

Most "signed" riders can't ride the TT because of insurance (thank Barry Sheene and King Kenny) so their contract would exclude them riding the TT, but anyone with a FIM number can enter the ManxGP
I have no idea who this Maxwrist guy is.

Most "signed" riders can't ride the TT because of insurance (thank Barry Sheene and King Kenny) so their contract would exclude them riding the TT, but anyone with a FIM number can enter the ManxGP
I have no idea who this Maxwrist guy is.
Stupid blogger that rides at 10/10ths on open public roads and leaves carnage in his wake.

If you're sailing in, make sure you book your ferry well in advance.

We had IOM Steam Packet Ferry tickets booked a year in advance for the TT, they were sold out soon after.

DSCN1742-X2.jpg

For the smaller races, you might not run into an issue, but I wouldn't count on showing up at the terminal and getting a ticket the day before the race.

Make sure you stick around after the races so you can ride the course!

DSCN1756-X2.jpg

DSCN1775-X2.jpg

ManxGP , killed two riders last yr , 2023 , a 33yr old and a 68yr old . IoM and the ManxGP at a point included world campionship points so you "had" to ride it . Smart guys like Kenny R helped change that . 269 riders have died since the race started in 1911. 10 in 2003 if I remmeber correctly .
Some point a gal named Beryl Swain registered ( didnt do well, but didnt die) , they put in a minimum weight limit to keep her out next year, and most girls.
Its considered one of thge gretaest shows on earth , 2023 saw the intro of vintage superbikes ZRX750 and GXS750s and some guy tried a Duc916 ,but it had few parts you could ever find on the average 916.

BIL had pics of them leaning on a stone wall in front of a church with plenty of elbow room. For the TT the same wall is six people deep.

Back
Top Bottom