Interesting statistic | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting statistic

Admittedly, being 'old school' (or just plain old), I haven't kept up with any of the new tech. This stuff actually exists on a bike I can buy today?

Most newer motorcycles have them, especially if they have something called an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) installed, which is a sensor that detects angular rate, acceleration/deceleration and velocity. The same technology is in every smartphone these days.

With the IMU, it's a pretty easy thing to monitor what the motorcycle is doing in real-time and if things look like they quickly becoming not awesome (ie. rear wheel is overtaking the front), it's an easy thing to take over control of the inputs, like cutting the engine power, to return things to safety. Also, simple things like engaging the rear brake automatically if it senses you are on a hill, and then releasing it once you let the clutch out and feed throttle.

I wonder how long its going to be before a cop could pull you over, read your vehicles imu, and issue you a ticket for something they didn't witness.

Your bike says you are guilty...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I wonder how long its going to be before a cop could pull you over, read your vehicles imu, and issue you a ticket for something they didn't witness.

That would be a difficult leap. All current methods rely on a calibrated and tested device (either speedometer, radar, laser or painted Marks on road and a stop watch). Easy to raise reasonable doubt to the JP that the imu does not pass that bar. Second item in your favour is if they need to connect to get data, that is a search and subject to all current requirements. You do not have to consent to search. They cant just search without permission except under very specific circumstances (and given that they would be looking for evidence of speeding and not something immediately dangerous to them, I suspect that would need a warrant).

That would be a difficult leap. All current methods rely on a calibrated and tested device (either speedometer, radar, laser or painted Marks on road and a stop watch). Easy to raise reasonable doubt to the JP that the imu does not pass that bar. Second item in your favour is if they need to connect to get data, that is a search and subject to all current requirements. You do not have to consent to search. They cant just search without permission except under very specific circumstances (and given that they would be looking for evidence of speeding and not something immediately dangerous to them, I suspect that would need a warrant).
My statement was a little "tongue in cheek", but on a serious note, my last bike did have "top speed recall" on the dash. I made sure that setting wasn't prominently displayed for all to see. Cleared it often. Not that I would ever do that sort of thing...

And then you have a certain dealer near Collingwood who refuses to reset the wrench icon unless he does the oil and filter on my MG V85TT.

More info needed here...... I assume you're not just showing up and asking to have the reset done for free, why would any dealer want to do this, nothing in it for him.

As cars and bikes become more complex owner ability to service same is going to diminish substantially. My ST1100 was basically an analog bike, relatively easy to work on IMO. My Tracer is more complex, not looking forward to my valve check / adjust coming March 2024.

They're doing this NOW with cars... sorta....
Get into a big enough disputed collision and the powers that be can get a warrant to pull the data off the ECU or "black box", which will record throttle position, accelerometers, brake position, speed, etc , etc, etc
So yeah, your bike can be a witness for the prosecution, but in the same vein, a witness for your defense.

Yes, tongue-in-cheek.

However... as newer riders rely on all the electronic wizardry that's packed into today's vehicles, how many of them won't know to live without them?

You can argue that traction control, quick shifters, hill start assist aren't critical safety systems, but I can see riders who never use the clutch to shift suddenly lock the rear wheel in a corner on a downshift, expecting the quick shifter to rev-match for them. Or someone getting stuck on a hill, because they don't know how to use the rear brake to stop themselves from sliding down a steep incline. Or someone who hamfists the throttle out of corners suddenly losing their traction control system....?
I forget what ancient model Honda it was but it was automatic. Powering out of certain turns it decides to downshift.

More info needed here...... I assume you're not just showing up and asking to have the reset done for free, why would any dealer want to do this, nothing in it for him.

As cars and bikes become more complex owner ability to service same is going to diminish substantially. My ST1100 was basically an analog bike, relatively easy to work on IMO. My Tracer is more complex, not looking forward to my valve check / adjust coming March 2024.
One would think that after someone spent five figures on a bike the dealer would offer a bit of goodwill by resetting a reading. Unfortunately if it's like cars it isn't simple. Sales and service each have their own budget.

With a car, the mechanic would get a minimum of XX minutes to do an idle adjust on an old car (Remember carburetors) Now it's a shop hookup to a computer, not a screwdriver in the back pocket. All is billable.

However if the bike is in for other work is the reset amount best not charged? Restaurants don't get their coffee free but how many charge for a top up? Goodwill vs today's profit. Banks don't care about your goodwill.

. I assume you're not just showing up and asking to have the reset done for free, why would any dealer want to do this, nothing in it for him.
I would argue a little goodwill goes a long way. I took my car in because the brakes were making noise. The mechanic bent the backing plate out a little and the scraping stopped. No charge. He knows what goes around comes around. And now here's the plug - Harris / Greig garage St Marys. You'd be hard pressed to find a better shop.
So yes if I spent 10 large plus on a bike at your shop I'd expect a 5 minute reset at no charge. A certain dealer in Collingwood didn't get that and now he's being openly disparaged on the net. What goes around comes around.

I would argue a little goodwill goes a long way. I took my car in because the brakes were making noise. The mechanic bent the backing plate out a little and the scraping stopped. No charge. He knows what goes around comes around. And now here's the plug - Harris / Greig garage St Marys. You'd be hard pressed to find a better shop.
Similar issue with the wife's Matrix. Heat shield had rusted loose and rattled like crazy, unrepairable. My local guy just put the car up on the hoist, took the shield off and told me not to drive through the desert - no charge. If anyone wants the name of a great independent garage in west end Scarborough just PM me.

They're already doing this to a degree. The insurance companies gives you the option to install a recording device in your vehicle, and if it shows you never exceed the speed limit then it gives you a discount on your premiums.

So yes if I spent 10 large plus on a bike at your shop I'd expect a 5 minute reset at no charge. A certain dealer in Collingwood didn't get that and now he's being openly disparaged on the net. What goes around comes around.

Like I said in my original post "more info is needed" to assess what the dealer could have done or should have done or should have been expected to do.

If this was a regular customer who purchased the MG at the dealer and had used the service department for service more involved or complex than a routine oil and filter change then it might be a good customer relations exercise to reset the service reminder.

On the other hand, if the guy did all service himself, or had it done somewhere else, and the last time the dealer had seen him was when the bike was delivered new, then I think it's fair to decline to reset the bike. Dealer is not running a charity and the owner has demonstrated that he is not a customer of the service department.

I've had very minor issues with my car that my regular service provider has fixed no charge, but this is in the context of an ongoing relationship where they see the car on a regular basis throughout its life.

Regarding the MG Dealer. Bike was in twice for diagnosis for faulty abs sensor and subsequent replacement. I bought about $400 worth of parts( centrestand, filters etc.) from them so was surprised when they refused to do the reset. I have been riding and wrenching for 50+ years and am competent enough I guess.

I am not trying to slag off the dealer but thought my experience would be pertinent to the discussion.

Also KTM is completely off my list due to their latest policy of restricting built in features on their new bikes.

They can sneak in some wacky permissions on a users agreement and have the ride call home with a list of your transgressions periodically. If they have difficulty proving who was riding/driving at the time of the offense it will only be a monetary penalty....
After actually reading the users agreement on a few phone apps I'm only half kidding with this.

They can sneak in some wacky permissions on a users agreement and have the ride call home with a list of your transgressions periodically. If they have difficulty proving who was riding/driving at the time of the offense it will only be a monetary penalty....
After actually reading the users agreement on a few phone apps I'm only half kidding with this.
You think an auto manufacturer or app developer wants to track potential infractions of law and pass that information to law enforcement? That seems like a quick trip to the grave. Most actively fight requests as they know their userbase will run away if they are too friendly with LE.

Maybe I missed it but I'd also add that there are probably more jap bikes than euro (not 95%).
Less average mileage on euro bikes as well especially since there aren't really any euro starter bikes here.
Just take a look at kijiji ads and compare ducatis vs. same vintage japanese equivalent kms.
When you haven't even broken in your bike, why would you take it for service?

Back
Top Bottom