Insuring bike for another rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring bike for another rider?

Vontwowheels

So my sister just got her M1, obviously with courses back logged and not booking it could take awhile to get her M2.
Shes 18 so M1 insurance would be high or non existent. Is there any real issue her buying herself a small bike, were looking at CBR125R, and me insuring it with just liability under my name for her ride and learn on?
Is she covered as an m1 rider the same an G1 driver would be in my car driving?

Thanks everyone!

The issue is that if she has a crash, you're on the hook, and it's your claims record on the hook. If the situation is that you're the registered operator of the vehicle (paying whatever your going rate is for your claims record) and she's the actual operator (and not registered as one of its drivers, and thus NOT paying her rate ... or if the policy were to be not written at all if the insurance company were to have known this was the situation) ... that's insurance fraud, and if something bad were to happen, that is NOT a situation that you want to have anything to do with.

When you call for insurance....one of the questions they will ask you is if someone else will be riding the vehicle.....if you say no...that's fraud....if you say yes, they'll ask you who and charge accordingly.

So if they ask and I disclose the M1 rider who will be riding this bike were off fraud.
Assuming they'll insure it at all for her with only being an M1 rider then it's just a matter of if we make a claim its against my insurance and my policy?
Shes alright to pay the under $100 month for me to insure a cbr125 we just were sure where it fell in a grey area

When you call for insurance....one of the questions they will ask you is if someone else will be riding the vehicle.....if you say no...that's fraud....if you say yes, they'll ask you who and charge accordingly.
Fraud? Come on! The whole motorcycle insurance system in Ontario is fraud! Following your logic - if I have 2 bikes and I tell them that nobody but me will ever ride my bikes, how comes the insurance still charges me twice liability and accidental benefits??? Isn't this a fraud? If they can do that, I don't see why I can't.

Fraud? Come on! The whole motorcycle insurance system in Ontario is fraud! Following your logic - if I have 2 bikes and I tell them that nobody but me will ever ride my bikes, how comes the insurance still charges me twice liability and accidental benefits??? Isn't this a fraud? If they can do that, I don't see why I can't.
Its technically fraud. Lying to your insurance company so that your sister can ride your bike because M1 insurance for her is $$$$$.

The worst thing that can happen is she hurts somebody and your on the hook when the lawyers come knocking.
Any serious injury would result in a lifetime financial burden. Lets say she jumps a curb, crashes into someone who hits their head on concrete and needs 24/7 care. Your finished...

Last edited:
Yeah.... the difference is that theirs is government approved fraud and OP's is not.
As others have said, it's all fine while the sun shines, but if something happens, you're hooped.

Last edited:
you're often asked (IIRC) who the principal driver is.
I look at it this way if there's a mishap and somebody dies (happens every day) is my insurance good.
Insurance co's look for any way to dodge paying out. If you say she's only an ocassional driver but people at her work say to the insurance investigator "oh yeah she rides that bike to work all the time..." you no longer have coverage AND it's you paying off the dead guys family. Got an extra million laying around?

you're often asked (IIRC) who the principal driver is.
two different insurance companies asked me if someone else living with me got a motorcycle license.
though if sister lives somewhere else… 🤷‍♂️

I've emailed my broker to see what they say, hopefully she is covered, and its not extremely expensive.
The main idea is her learning in parking lots and around town (supervised) until she can get her M2 with the course but knowing she's insured and safe.
Got an extra million laying around?

I'd be disclosing who the rider is, but only a million?
I'm expecting to win the $70M tonight from lottomax so we should be fine.🤷‍♂️

Not sure if anyone will end up in the same boat give the pandemic, but its a no from Insurance, id be required to get an exclusion for her on all bikes I insure while she's an M1 rider.

However if we weren't listed at the same address. she could "technically" ride and be covered on a bike I insure I would just liable with for any damages caused or Injuries not covered by insurance.

Oh well, guess she's waiting not worth the ticket and insurance repercussions should something happen.

Its technically fraud. Lying to your insurance company so that your sister can ride your bike because M1 insurance for her is $$$$$.

The worst thing that can happen is she hurts somebody and your on the hook when the lawyers come knocking.
Any serious injury would result in a lifetime financial burden. Lets say she jumps a curb, crashes into someone who hits their head on concrete and needs 24/7 care. Your finished...
When offering scenarios on things like this one has to take into consideration the operating area of the rider. One would assume the risk of injuring a pedestrian to be lower in a rural location. In an urban area we know that pedestrians, particularly texting ones, are prone to walk into traffic like zombies.

The OP mentions "Around town" (Barrie?) and parking lots. I would list those as high risk areas. Around town could be Bayfield Street with shopping focused drivers cutting in and out of parking lots.

When drivers enter parking lots too many suddenly become boaters on a paved lake cutting across the lot diagonally, ignoring lanes.

If the insurer can dump you in the event of a crash they will do it. You could be not at fault but if the other party decides to fight, your insurer has no reason to spend legal fees supporting your case. The tens of thousands fall on you.

If the medical insurance is needed in the event of a single vehicle crash and isn't there because the claim is denied, where does the money come from for months of rehab?

It is hard for an older person to pass on advice to a younger person. The young rider wants it now. The older rider is "Been there, done that, got the tee shirt."

Back
Top Bottom