Insurance with M1 and other newbie questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance with M1 and other newbie questions

Jonah

Hi All:

I passed my M1 written test on Friday :). I will be taking Ministry approved motorcycle training course. I did read the sticky thread above but still have some questions for clarification. Since I need my training and need to wait 60 days before attempting M1 Exit (M2), I have the following questions

1) Can I buy a motorcycle and insurance on M1 as after training I don't want to sit idle? I would rather practice and prepare for M2.

2) For Motorcycle training, shall I just get the normal gear (normal jeans, a leather jacket, a helmet, long gloves) or does it depend on the training provided from the provider to the provider? The reason I am asking this is that I want to wait till I get my motorbike and not rush buying the gear as my training starts next week.

3) with all due respect, I am not interested in sports motorbikes. I would like to buy a cruiser. Does this make any difference to insurance? any cruiser recommendation for cheaper insurance as I am a new rider?

4) what shops would you recommend for motorcycle gear in Newmarket/Georgina/Barrie or anywhere in GTA

thanks

Hi All:

I passed my M1 written test on Friday :). I will be taking Ministry approved motorcycle training course. I did read the sticky thread above but still have some questions for clarification. Since I need my training and need to wait 60 days before attempting M1 Exit (M2), I have the following questions

1) Can I buy a motorcycle and insurance on M1 as after training I don't want to sit idle? I would rather practice and prepare for M2.

2) For Motorcycle training, shall I just get the normal gear (normal jeans, a leather jacket, a helmet, long gloves) or does it depend on the training provided from the provider to the provider? The reason I am asking this is that I want to wait till I get my motorbike and not rush buying the gear as my training starts next week.

3) with all due respect, I am not interested in sports motorbikes. I would like to buy a cruiser. Does this make any difference to insurance? any cruiser recommendation for cheaper insurance as I am a new rider?

4) what shops would you recommend for motorcycle gear in Newmarket/Georgina/Barrie or anywhere in GTA

thanks

- Yes, it can be expensive. I know that @NFP Moto does this.

-You will have to provide your own gear. Buy the best that you can afford, it is all that is in-between you and the pavement. Trust me on this, I tested it last year. Doesn't matter how good your skills are when someone turns in front of you with no warning.
-That being said, for the course you can get away with normal stuff, (jean jacket, jeans, leather gloves) as it is all done in a closed
environment with no public access.

-Ride what you like. The good news, Cruisers are generally much cheaper to insure that sport or ADV bikes.
-Lower displacement means lower rates.

-GP Bikes, Riders Choice, Royal distributing. Kijiji can be a good option as well for everything except a helmet.

Last edited:
Thank you soulcatcher668:

For the following answer, would you recommend I wait until I get my M2 license? Stupid question, If I wait till M2, how can I get access to a motorbike with insurance to practice for M2 or I have no choice but to get insurance on M1. I will definitely check out what @NFP has to offer :).

- Yes, it can be expensive. I know that @NFP Moto does this.

For the following answer, would you recommend I wait until I get my M2 license? Stupid question, If I wait till M2, how can I get access to a motorbike with insurance to practice for M2 or I have no choice but to get insurance on M1. I will definitely check out what @NFP has to offer :).
Some insurers will insure you on M1, and it'll be rated the same as M2, so long as you are doing the course and getting it soon.

You should book your M1X course ASAP. You can take it before your 60 min that the M1 requires, you just will not be able to upgrade to M2 before the 60 days.
@Evoex or @cutekill may be able to help get you a spot this year.
I would not worry about practicing for the M2 course. The instructors are very good and honestly, if you can ride a bicycle and have half a brain, you can pass the M1X at the end of the course.

Last edited:
2) For Motorcycle training, shall I just get the normal gear (normal jeans, a leather jacket, a helmet, long gloves)

Buy a ventilated mesh jacket. It's the one piece of advice I wish I had would have saved me buying two jackets.

It gets hot riding in the summer.

It's likely many businesses are booking into October at this point, which is the last month of the season for testing. If you have specific questions about this just PM me.

Otherwise it's as the others have said, you can book your course now, no need to wait. Some insurers will consider that enough to provide you full insurance at an M2 rate which will stay in place as long as you pass the exam.

Some insurers will insure you on M1, and it'll be rated the same as M2, so long as you are doing the course and getting it soon.
you do NOT need to "practice" for the course. The Rider Training course IS the practice, and why the course provides THEIR bikes to learn on. It starts from the ground up, even showing you where the key goes in and how to start a bike.

you do NOT need to "practice" for the course. The Rider Training course IS the practice, and why the course provides THEIR bikes to learn on. It starts from the ground up, even showing you where the key goes in and how to start a bike.
Did you mean to quote me? It seems you're referencing things I never mentioned. I personally believe the course is super easy and basic.

Can confirm. Had no clue which side to approach bike before M1X. They not only teach you basics, but you will have an opportunity to try different types of bikes as well.

The system here is a bit silly. My understanding of the 60 day wait between getting your M1 and your M2 is to practice. But realistically very few insurance companies will take you, and those who do will charge a hefty premium, so how you are you supposed to practice? No idea.

That said. I am in a similar situation but with previous foreign experience which doesn't count here, so back to square one.

As soon as I did the M1 written test I booked a MSF course which includes the M2 (Learning Curves). I've been told that as soon as you do this course insurance companies will consider you as if you had the M2, since it's just a matter of time. Go do this!

You can do the course at any time. You just have to hold the sealed envelope until the 60 day point before you can bring it to a DriveTest centre and get your official M2.

The MSF is totally worth the money. It gets you to start with some good habits, which will trully make you a safer rider. Plus it saves you from M1 insurance.

The system here is a bit silly. My understanding of the 60 day wait between getting your M1 and your M2 is to practice. But realistically very few insurance companies will take you, and those who do will charge a hefty premium, so how you are you supposed to practice? No idea.

That said. I am in a similar situation but with previous foreign experience which doesn't count here, so back to square one.

As soon as I did the M1 written test I booked a MSF course which includes the M2 (Learning Curves). I've been told that as soon as you do this course insurance companies will consider you as if you had the M2, since it's just a matter of time. Go do this!

You can do the course at any time. You just have to hold the sealed envelope until the 60 day point before you can bring it to a DriveTest centre and get your official M2.

The MSF is totally worth the money. It gets you to start with some good habits, which will trully make you a safer rider. Plus it saves you from M1 insurance.
Pretty much spot on. There is no sealed envelope anymore fyi, results are upload to the ministry direct.

If I were you I would push a little harder with Drive Test/Ministry about recognizing your previous experience if it's documented (insurance slips/drivers license). You can usually get them to waive the waiting period between M2 to full M by doing so.

If I were you I would push a little harder with Drive Test/Ministry about recognizing your previous experience if it's documented (insurance slips/drivers license). You can usually get them to waive the waiting period between M2 to full M by doing so.
I've done it for G, they only accept a letter from the local authorities confirming your experience

Almost everyone passes the M2 in their first attempt, I wouldn't worry about practice beforehand, use that time to research bikes and insurance.

A good size beginner cruiser is 300cc or less IF you plan urban riding only. A 650 will be cheaper to buy and marginally more expensive to insure, but it's highway and tour capable, it might last a few years before you want more. Yamaha Star or XV 650s and Suziki S40 are always the best value. Kawi Vulcans, Suzuki C50 and Honda Shadows cost a bit more to buy and insure, but are also manageable for beginners.

Get your first set of gear st a proper MC retailer to be fit properly. Fit and comfort of safety gear is as important as the quality. You don't need killer expensive gear to be safe. Work boots that wont fly off are great, jacket, pants snd gloves should be motorcyclist stuff. Get a full face helmet, modular flip up are the most comfortable and take you further into the season than a beanie or 3/4.

Back
Top Bottom