Insurance question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance question

treyc1

can I ride a bike that is insured under an immediate family member...(I bought the bike an I will be the only rider) but the ownership will be in family member name and the insurance too

Insurance company would base the rate on the primary rider, you.

If they find that you are the primary rider and not the other person as you stated, they would consider that fraud.

If you get into an accident (and you don't know when/if you will or not), it affects that persons insurance and again you can and will most likley be denied coverage + fraud charges for both of you.

You won't be building any kind of insurance history to have lower rates in the future when you get insuance in your name.

In short it's a bad idea.

Insurance company would base the rate on the primary rider, you.

If they find that you are the primary rider and not the other person as you stated, they would consider that fraud.

If you get into an accident (and you don't know when/if you will or not), it affects that persons insurance and again you can and will most likley be denied coverage + fraud charges for both of you.

You won't be building any kind of insurance history to have lower rates in the future when you get insuance in your name.

In short it's a bad idea.

im not to worried about the fraud part lol just want to know about what happens if I get pulled over

Nothing will happen if you get pulled over, they might just ask who the other person is.
If you do get into a accident some companies will still cover you but force you to be on the policy after otherwise if it happens again your screwed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bad idea. If something were to happen the insurance would not cover you. When you get pulled over the cop will ask you how the policy holder is related to you, BUT the cop could choose call the insurance company with the number behind the slip to verify that the slip is real or fake. Not a big problem, but if you aren't insured on the policy the company can investigate if the person pulled over was not the person insured on the policy. **** can go wrong very quick, it really isn't even worth the hassle and chance in my opinion.

Yeah your right "no need to worry about the fraud part" Well until it is discovered. Then you can be denied claim coverage so you hit someone on foot and they have $1 million in injuries and now you AND the family member are on the hook to pay that out of your own pocket so forget about EVER owning a house, nice bike, nice car etc etc etc.

Then you and the family member could also be charged criminally.

Lastly, you and the family member will find it VERY difficult to get anything other than VERY expensive facility insurance, (once your nailed for insurance fraud NONE of the main stream insurers will touch you, and this applies to ALL forms of insurance, home, auto and in some cases life).

But hey don't worry about it your a good rider and will never need insurance anyways right???

There is a reason everyone replying has said the same thing it is a BAD idea. If you can't afford your own insurance on the bike then sell the bike, and get one you can afford insurance on or wait until you can afford insurance on your own. Also remember doesn't matter if you stay on this family members policy for say 5 years when you go to get insurance on your own you will STILL be rated as a NEW rider, so no savings there either.

Haha I remember my buddy (in a car) was pulled over and the officer asked who owned the car. He said he owned it (but it was actually insured by one of his parents) and the cop left for his car came back and asked why his name wasn't on ownership then yelled at him about it being his parents vehicle, not his and threatened to contact his insurance company if he was caught doing it again by any of the other officers up ahead. I doubt cops can/will do that but for reference.

Last edited:
Yeah your right "no need to worry about the fraud part" Well until it is discovered. Then you can be denied claim coverage so you hit someone on foot and they have $1 million in injuries and now you AND the family member are on the hook to pay that out of your own pocket so forget about EVER owning a house, nice bike, nice car etc etc etc.

Lastly, you and the family member will find it VERY difficult to get anything other than VERY expensive facility insurance, (once your nailed for insurance fraud NONE of the main stream insurers will touch you, and this applies to ALL forms of insurance, home, auto and in some cases life).

But hey don't worry about it your a good rider and will never need insurance anyways right???

There is a reason everyone replying has said the same thing it is a BAD idea. If you can't afford your own insurance on the bike then sell the bike, and get one you can afford insurance on or wait until you can afford insurance on your own. Also remember doesn't matter if you stay on this family members policy for say 5 years when you go to get insurance on your own you will STILL be rated as a NEW rider, so no savings there either.

What he said ^^^^^^

If the person lives in your household it won't matter as you would have to be listed as an operator in which you would be the highest risk, so you are who the policy premium would be based on, regardless of who is the primary driver.

If the person doesn't live with you, Be very careful as mentioned if you get into an accident the insurance company could pull out and charge you and your family member with fraud in which you guys are good and screwed and getting insurance for the next 10 years as well as paying for any damages out of your own pocket. But hey, whats the worst that could happen.

Just a heads up, If you have to commit insurance fraud as the only way to be able to afford insurance on a CBR125, you should maybe re-look at your priorities.....

Last edited:
Bad idea. If something were to happen the insurance would not cover you. When you get pulled over the cop will ask you how the policy holder is related to you, BUT the cop could choose call the insurance company with the number behind the slip to verify that the slip is real or fake. Not a big problem, but if you aren't insured on the policy the company can investigate if the person pulled over was not the person insured on the policy. **** can go wrong very quick, it really isn't even worth the hassle and chance in my opinion.

Not really...occasional unnamed drivers are allowed by almost all insurance companies. I say almost only because there may be some that don't allow it, but I've never heard of it.

If the vehicle is insured with a family member's name, the cops can not do anything when you get pulled over. But as everyone said above its not a good idea.

well cool thanks

If the vehicle is insured with a family member's name, the cops can not do anything when you get pulled over. But as everyone said above its not a good idea.

I gotten pulled over many times with the same thing and nothing....so

Pulled over your fine. Accident your fine, stick to your storey.
If someone in the industry reports this thread, u ******

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

I also know people who have done this with million doller lawsuits, against and for them. Everythig worked out fine.

Not a big problem, but if you aren't insured on the policy the company can investigate if the person pulled over was not the person insured on the policy. **** can go wrong very quick, it really isn't even worth the hassle and chance in my opinion.

who the hell told you this?? what do you think happens when a friend borrows your car, or you're at your cousins for the holidays and take his car? Just because you're not on the policy doesn't mean they're not going to be covered or you're going to be in legal ****. 99% of policies cover anyone that you have given consent to drive your vehicle provided they have a valid license.

You can take advantage of this by insuring a vehicle under your parent and if the cops say anything about not being on the policy, you just say you're home from school for a short while and driving around on daddy's bike...technically this is fraud but insurance is ****ing extortion as it is anyways.

I don't condone it, but I don't look down on people who do it. I've paid the insurance company close to 12,000 bucks in the last 5 years, they haven't given me a ****ing penny, so **** them.

Last edited:
who the hell told you this?? what do you think happens when a friend borrows your car, or you're at your cousins for the holidays and take his car? Just because you're not on the policy doesn't mean they're not going to be covered or you're going to be in legal ****. 99% of policies cover anyone that you have given consent to drive your vehicle provided they have a valid license.
You can take advantage of this by insuring a vehicle under your parent and if the cops say anything about not being on the policy, you just say you're home from school for a short while and driving around on daddy's bike...technically this is fraud but insurance is ****ing extortion as it is anyways.

I don't condone it, but I don't look down on people who do it. I've paid the insurance company close to 12,000 bucks in the last 5 years, they haven't given me a ****ing penny, so **** them.

+1

so the bike is your parents and they are the primary users, however you want to know that if you borrow it or take it somewhere for your Dad and an accident happens, are you covered?
if you are licensed and ride the bike 1 day/year and are not at the same residence, you're fine.

and no problem if you get pulled over.

I wouldn't do it, as most have stated above.

So many people do it when young. 99% its always fine. Best thing is to have a differnt adress then tge bike. And if anytgibg happens your jyst borrowing it.

Back
Top Bottom