Insurance over winter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance over winter

Vontwowheels

Hey guys,
I did a quick search and didn't see anything recent for this but what's the best way to insure the bike over winter?

Right now it's got full coverage but I'm going to remove collision at the least. Is it worth moving the status to in storage when the time comes? Does that affect the "years with continuous insurance"? Or just leave it rideable with the reduced coverage

Thanks!

Leave insurance on. Look up the historical threads on the percentage premium used up by each month. From October to April is <20% of your yearly premium IIRC. There are some beautiful riding days in that time.

Most insurance companies will not allow you to remove liability from your bike. You either keep the expensive insurance going or cancel it all.

EDIT:
Link below shows TD distribution, other companies will likely be similar. Insurance is literally free for most of the winter.

There is no off season / reduce rate for a few months insurance. You just pay the whole year. Insurance conpanies win again....

Ya called my insurance about reduced coverage during the winter months as well.

My guys cant do it. Assume $100 per year (random amount). I am being charged $20 per month during the summer months and $5 per month during the winter months.

Ya called my insurance about reduced coverage during the winter months as well.

My guys cant do it. Assume $100 per year (random amount). I am being charged $20 per month during the summer months and $5 per month during the winter months.
I am curious about this, if you pay monthly arn't they charging you equal amounts for the 12 months? I've never seen them break the cost between winter and summer etc. Just here is the policy amount for the year, pay all upfront or 12 equal payments.

I am curious about this, if you pay monthly arn't they charging you equal amounts for the 12 months? I've never seen them break the cost between winter and summer etc. Just here is the policy amount for the year, pay all upfront or 12 equal payments.
The amount you pay per month and the amount they charge per month are not necessarily the same. See Vifferfuns post linked above. In the past, this led to uncomfortable situations where someone would buy a bike in June, sell it is August and get ****** when the insurance company would send them a big bill as they had used 60% of the yearly premium and paid 25% of the yearly premium. I think TD moved to six month payments now starting in January so it would be very rare for someones use to be ahead of what they had already paid. They don't show you the monthly charge in your policy docs as for the majority of clients that keep policies all year, the monthly breakdowns are immaterial. They only matter if you are changing bikes throughout the year.

Thanks everyone, the bike was/is staying insured regardless I was just wondering about changing coverage vs storage.
I forgot they % your "use" differently year round and it would make a much smaller difference just through the winter, guess itl keep full coverage.
As was said above some good days between Oct and April anyway!

Thanks everyone, the bike was/is staying insured regardless I was just wondering about changing coverage vs storage.
I forgot they % your "use" differently year round and it would make a much smaller difference just through the winter, guess itl keep full coverage.
As was said above some good days between Oct and April anyway!
Ride safe and have fun. My best january in Ontario I managed to get in 20,000 km. Bikes make tons of power in the winter.

If you don't have everything bundled, and just have a motorcycle standalone policy - I would cancel during the winter months and only insure it like may-oct

Seems like you would be resetting your continuous insurance every year. Also don't you get dinged for cancellations?

Seems like you would be resetting your continuous insurance every year. Also don't you get dinged for cancellations?
You get dinged if they cancel, you shouldn't if you cancel. Most insurance companies allow a gap while maintaining "continuous" insurance. IIRC most are around six months but I'm not sure if this is written anywhere or just unofficial policy they can deploy at will.

There is no off season / reduce rate for a few months insurance. You just pay the whole year. Insurance conpanies win again....

Solution: Ride in the winter. There's always windows.

My best january in Ontario I managed to get in 20,000 km.

Share with the class how you managed that. I'm impressed lol. Was that during the non-winter a few years back when a ton of us were out riding on Christmas day even?

Solution: Ride in the winter. There's always windows.

Share with the class how you managed that. I'm impressed lol. Was that during the non-winter a few years back when a ton of us were out riding on Christmas day even?
2004. I was in university, working 40 hours a week and riding lots on a CB450SC. It could do power wheelies below minus 10. Not that much snow. Mostly exploring from niagara falls to delhi to hamilton. Ability to dodge adulting while at school was nice.

Ride safe and have fun. My best january in Ontario I managed to get in 20,000 km. Bikes make tons of power in the winter.
Wow, that averages to about 645km a day. :unsure:

This is a weird one. Let the insurance know the rv is stored for the winter and I get about a 150$ rebate. Not bad considering it's only about 450$ a year.
Why not for bikes?

This is a weird one. Let the insurance know the rv is stored for the winter and I get about a 150$ rebate. Not bad considering it's only about 450$ a year.
Why not for bikes?
Maybe because they don't have monthly weighting for RV? They assume you are using it year-round (head south for the winter?). With monthly rating to motorcycles, they already assume most people are not riding in Jan and Feb on only a bit of riding Dec and March.

If you don't have everything bundled, and just have a motorcycle standalone policy - I would cancel during the winter months and only insure it like may-oct
well they weight the payments towards the 'riding' months, even if you're making equal monthly payments. cancel at the wrong time and you may owe them money.

second, when you go to get a new quote remember what they ask. how many year(s) of previous continuous insurance do you have?

by cancelling you`re gutting your history.

Maybe because they don't have monthly weighting for RV? They assume you are using it year-round (head south for the winter?). With monthly rating to motorcycles, they already assume most people are not riding in Jan and Feb on only a bit of riding Dec and March.

This.

Back
Top Bottom