Insurance only against theft? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance only against theft?

Ssnype1

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you know of an insurance broker/company that will ensure my bike against theft only.
I bought my bike several weeks ago and I'm not going to be able to ride it anytime soon. Most of the companies I called would only ensure the bike for complete coverage, but I'm not going to pay $2400 a year to just sit in the garage. There was a broker from ALLSTATE that said that they would insure the bike for like $270 a year for comprehensive(fire and theft) coverage, but only if I bundle it with my car. I already have a great (cheap) coverage from DesJardins and I don't want to cancel it and pay extra $500 with ALLSTATE and also pay canceling fees if I'm going to transfer it.

Thanks

Are you storing it at your house in your garage?

It may be covered for theft under your house insurance if so as long as it's unplated and uninsured through anyone else.

Best call your house insurance directly and confirm however. Some policies may differ, but that scenario used to be possible.

Getting comp only on a bike is not easy. PP's suggestion is worth a shot, but in my experience home policies exclude motor vehicles so I have low hopes of it working.

Where is the bike? Instead of spending money on a full policy, I would keep the bike somewhere secure and out of sight until you are ready to hit the road.

Like the replies above me. I would do my best to keep the bike secure and hidden and check your property insurance.
If this is not an option, You'll most like be facing "bundles" when trying to get only fire and theft.

Thank guys for the replies.
@Private Pilot, I tried that, they wouldn't do that.
@GreyGhost, it's in a garage, but I had my truck broken into a month ago that was parked in front of the garage. I would just sleep better if I have it insured. Isn't that the point of having an insurance anyway?
@Jampy00 Now even the bundle thing is not going to work out. The guy that works with ALLSTATE, says that because I don't have at least 10 years of car insurance in North America, they wouldn't insure a sport bike. I'm 44 and I first came to Canada 3 years ago.

So after the bad news, I tried to get a quote for full insurance, because I'll need it in few months I guess, but I had my M1 in August and the Drive Test is closed since then. So I can not get an insurance with expired M1 where I asked for a quote.

I come from a ****** country, where there were wars, corruption and I moved to Canada in order to get away from all of that. But this seems like racketeering to me. An extortion. The insurance companies can do whatever the f--k they want and cherry pick what's in their best interest give coverage for.

I'm out of ideas, guys...
I'll just ride it without license plates, when the time comes

Thank guys for the replies.
@Private Pilot, I tried that, they wouldn't do that.
@GreyGhost, it's in a garage, but I had my truck broken into a month ago that was parked in front of the garage. I would just sleep better if I have it insured. Isn't that the point of having an insurance anyway?
@Jampy00 Now even the bundle thing is not going to work out. The guy that works with ALLSTATE, says that because I don't have at least 10 years of car insurance in North America, they wouldn't insure a sport bike. I'm 44 and I first came to Canada 3 years ago.

So after the bad news, I tried to get a quote for full insurance, because I'll need it in few months I guess, but I had my M1 in August and the Drive Test is closed since then. So I can not get an insurance with expired M1 where I asked for a quote.

I come from a ****** country, where there were wars, corruption and I moved to Canada in order to get away from all of that. But this seems like racketeering to me. An extortion. The insurance companies can do whatever the f--k they want and cherry pick what's in their best interest give coverage for.

I'm out of ideas, guys...

Perhaps these two things are connected. Those that drive/ride without coverage getting into accidents that are then covered by the insured third party with no recourse.

2019 Ninja ZX6-R, bought from a dealership
Yeah that’s rough. Lesson learned, deal with insurance before buying any bike.

Your best bet is to sell it and get something smaller for a few years until you build history. Maybe a ninja 400?

I hope this was said in jest. Otherwise you're only adding to the exact problem that prevents you from obtaining insurance and/or a reasonable rate, even after you obtain all you training and license.

Are you storing it at your house in your garage?

It may be covered for theft under your house insurance if so as long as it's unplated and uninsured through anyone else.

Best call your house insurance directly and confirm however. Some policies may differ, but that scenario used to be possible.
NOPE
If you can call it a vehicle, it is excluded from your home policy.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you know of an insurance broker/company that will ensure my bike against theft only.
I bought my bike several weeks ago and I'm not going to be able to ride it anytime soon. Most of the companies I called would only ensure the bike for complete coverage, but I'm not going to pay $2400 a year to just sit in the garage. There was a broker from ALLSTATE that said that they would insure the bike for like $270 a year for comprehensive(fire and theft) coverage, but only if I bundle it with my car. I already have a great (cheap) coverage from DesJardins and I don't want to cancel it and pay extra $500 with ALLSTATE and also pay canceling fees if I'm going to transfer it.

Thanks
Contact @NFP Moto

He said he has a way.

Also, your M1 may technically be expired, but since it was valid after COVID started last year and the testing facilities are closed, it should still be valid.

Back
Top Bottom