Insurance kms driven per year | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance kms driven per year

Well I was with The Personal a while back with my car. After my first few years my insurance went up quite a bit. Asking them they told me my millage per year was increasing and was the reason. They said they knew this because there is a reporting system out there when you go in for service etc it is reported back to the insurance industry. I dunno how true this is but they knew. I dropped them anyhow as the increase was BS it was like 5000 more k so F-them.

Seems we are all boxed in when it comes to insurance any little angle they exploit as a reason to increase rates.

"So I've been wondering for a while about this question that all insurers ask before generating a quote, "how many kms do you drive/ride in a year?".
My question is, do they actually track this and if so, how? We never provide the current mileage ever to the insurer."

I don't think I have ever purchased insurance and Not been asked that question as well as 'is the vehicle used for daily commuting',
but I know for a fact that if you complain a rarely used bikes insurance cost calculates out to in excess of 2$ per kilometer actually ridden, they won't respond to that concern and your rates will probably still go way up the following year.
Insurers don't check until they pay out, and even then they would only do it if they were suspicious.

Investigators have no trouble figuring out if you commute and how often. They can also get reported mileage from the MOT and actual off your odometer. If they find you lied, (commute to work, run way over your reported mileage, keep your car registered in a lower cost area than where you reside, traffic convictions etc) or you failed to disclose a material change that increased their risk, they can simply cancel your policy or possibly decline a payout.

Once insurance is cancelled by an insurer, you're gonna pay big to be insured again.

Insurers don't check until they pay out, and even then they would only do it if they were suspicious.

Investigators have no trouble figuring out if you commute and how often. They can also get reported mileage from the MOT and actual off your odometer. If they find you lied, (commute to work, run way over your reported mileage, keep your car registered in a lower cost area than where you reside, traffic convictions etc) or you failed to disclose a material change that increased their risk, they can simply cancel your policy or possibly decline a payout.

Once insurance is cancelled by an insurer, you're gonna pay big to be insured again.

That's the boogie man factor. If you break any one of the multitude of rules do they deny a claim? The "what ifs" are endless.

What if you normally take public transit to work but one day take the wheels because of a one-off situation?

Do you become a lying heathen thrown into the hell of facility?

If you say 15,000 kms but do 15,001 do they hammer you or is that at 15,100, 16,000 or ???? Technically you misinformed them. It's a judgement call and it costs big bucks to go before a judge.

Do off road kms count the same, more or less?

If you do burn outs your rear wheel is rotating but the bike is not moving. Should you tell them the mileage on the front or rear wheel?

A problem with our adversarial insurance industry is that we are afraid of getting hit with some unexpected boogie man clause and coverage is denied. How does one legally cover all the variables. Ethics are impossible to legislate.

BTW I report the mileage when I renew plates, cars and bikes.

Really messed with their stats on my BMW :laughing4: I replaced the speedometer.

Catch 22: If you drop the insurance you don't qualify for a plate, if you don't renew the plate you will be adding the cost and complexity of obtaining a mechanics certificate of fitness on a bike that is becoming increasingly difficult to keep mechanically fit.

Back
Top Bottom