Insurance kms driven per year | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance kms driven per year

roadrash

So I've been wondering for a while about this question that all insurers ask before generating a quote, "how many kms do you drive/ride in a year?".
My question is, do they actually track this and if so, how? We never provide the current mileage ever to the insurer.

Only way would be to check with Service Ontario, because mileage gets registered on plate renewal. But do insurers actually check this ? What if someone renews their plate for 2 years instead of 1, then insurers wouldn't know for 2 years. Something doesn't add up here.

Asking out of curiosity, because the mileage seems to make a significant difference to the quote.

Last edited:
I've never been short on opinions
but mine is that this is very unlikely to ever be an issue
unless they are looking for a reason to deny a claim

My guess is if/when you make a claim.
You pay for 5000km per year, but when the bike is totaled at two years old it has 50000km. They're going to know you've been riding it a lot more than 5k per year.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Even for that wouldn't they need to pull service Ontario records? One could argue they had 40k km on the bike when the policy started, and put 10k in 2 years hitting 50k.

adjuster looks at the vehicle post-incident
they have the estimated mileage from the insurance app
then look at the usage/risk you have paid premiums for
if the math is way out of whack, there may be an issue
but generally this is not a big concern with bikes
cars? yes...best report accurate usage

I don't think I've ever given the MTO the exact kms when I renew

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

i doubt they check at sticker renewal, that being said, they could pull the UVIP at anytime and see what it was recorded at during ownership transfer.

Yes i also believe it's partly risk analysis and to see what you were up to come claim time.

bought a new r6; 'oh its a weekend toy, i put 2k on it a year', totaled 6 months later at 12k. /toast

anything to void your claim, never forget.

Reply with quote not working, so at Roadrash, does quote get more expensive the more miles per year or less miles?

Curious as I never asked my insurer, only have given reasonable estimation of true mileage. I am guessing they say more money for more mileage as your accident exposure is greater? In my mind insurance is a betting game and I would bet on someone riding 20,000km a year without accidents or tickets over a no accident or ticket 2000km per year rider.

I don't recall ever being asked that for the bike.

Just renewed sticker for car and 2 bikes. Mileage was asked for car, didn't care about the bikes.
The insurance company asked whether the car was used for pleasure or going to and from work, the bikes were automatically for pleasure but guesstimate mileage was not asked.

** is it really 'mileage' when we measure in kilometers?
Should it be 'kilometrage'? :confused:

Service ontario will ask you for the mileage on vehicles but have never asked me for my motorcycles. Insurance company has never asked me either about the bikes.

Last two are correct they not does not require mileage as they are a pleasure vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Hmm. I remember providing the mileage last time I renewed my plates, but could be confusing car with bike.

Mileage makes a difference to the quote with some insurance providers. You can try experimenting with TD's online estimator with the following mileages:

<1500km
5000km
8000km

I'm not sure if the type of bike and rider history are also a factor, but I see a difference of several hundred dollars. I called them for a quote and got the same results.

I'm with Td, they not only ask how many kilometers it'll be driven annually, they also asked if it was for pleasure or whether I'd be riding to work or school.
Kanetix asks the same questions on its online quote system.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

"So I've been wondering for a while about this question that all insurers ask before generating a quote, "how many kms do you drive/ride in a year?".
My question is, do they actually track this and if so, how? We never provide the current mileage ever to the insurer."

I don't think I have ever purchased insurance and Not been asked that question as well as 'is the vehicle used for daily commuting',
but I know for a fact that if you complain a rarely used bikes insurance cost calculates out to in excess of 2$ per kilometre actually ridden, they won't respond to that concern and your rates will probably still go way up the following year.

Back
Top Bottom