Insurance help pls (young rider) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance help pls (young rider)

Take the safety course, it includes your M2 test at the end of the weekend! Just make sure you do the course 60 days after your M1, because your only eligible for the M2 after 60 days. It's all included in the price. I currently have my m1 and very few insurance companies will take me, and they are over $2000/year.

Take the course. Even an experienced rider will learn things and be made aware of bad habits, as well as learning some skills that might well save your life some day.

Insurance will be way easiest at that point.

As jp060 & PrivatePilot said. Take the course. Even if you are before 60 days they will give you an envelope for the Ontario office to open once it's been 60 days that say you passed and you will get your m2. In the course you may even meet with new friends to go riding with. Good luck be safe and enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know how to ride a bike but do you know any emergency techniques?

just take the course, by the end of it, even the m1 exit course, you'll realize you don't know nearly as much as you think you know and one day that'll come to save your life.

You'll want to take the course. With State Farm you need 5 years driving experience, I bought a new Ninja 300 last year (21 years old with an m1) and was insured through State Farm. I paid $1690 for the year with 1000 ded. Comp and liability, no collision. Clean driving record.

It was scary what other companies wanted for insurance though... When I took the course and got my M2 insurance did not go down. Even though I'd ridden dirt bikes for 10 years I learned a lot at the course. I'm going to do the M2 exit as well.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know of any insurance company that will insure a rider with a M1.
You say you have experience, where/how did you get the experience on riding a motorcycle on city streets, where you have to watch out for other drivers.

I don't know of any insurance company that will insure a rider with a M1.
You say you have experience, where/how did you get the experience on riding a motorcycle on city streets, where you have to watch out for other drivers.
You can't get insurance with an M1?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

The 3 insurance companies that I deal with that do stand alone motorcycles will not insure a M1 rider.
And then there is the famous facility insurance, they will do it, for a premium of course.

You can't get insurance with an M1?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I didn't have a problem (Riders Plus) when I was looking, however I opted to get my M2 first anyways for the slight insurance discount. FWIW, With them at least, the discount only amounted to about 50% of the cost of the MSC, so it was disappointing in that regard but I did it anyways.

I got quotes for my wife with Dalton Timmis (who I'm with now) and they didn't have a problem with an M1 either, although having the M2 beforehand did offer a decent discount obviously. She too is doing to the MSC in April to get the M2 before we insure her bike.

State Farm insured me with just my M1 in 2013. Standalone policy. I was already 35 at the time though. Me old balls.

State farm Insured me with just an M1 back in June of 2014. It was $80/ month full coverage on a 250 yamaha virago. I was 25. They have since changed the underwriting company to Certas and with it changed the rates. Just to give you an idea I was quoted $160/month liability only on a 2015 Honda Grom 125cc. The only thing that has changed is that I am now 27 and have more driving experience and yet my rates are higher than when I first started.

TD will insure with M1 if you have a MSF certificate, I think Intact will as well, with no certificate

Take the course! If it teaches you anything, it will be how much you didn't know but thought you did. It will be the best money spent in your riding career.

I know how to ride a bike already so I'm hesistant to do a safety course.

On that topic, dude, take the course and get your M2 that way. 20 years back I rode for about 4 years and then drifted away, but when I came back to riding last year I took the course..and even I learned things, as well as was made aware of some bad habits I didn't even know I had, breaking me of them.

You'll learn stuff at the course that very well could save your life some day.

I would take the safety course. Since you're young and probably don't own a big ticket item like a new car or house you don't have to worry about huge chunks of cash coming out of your bank account. Don't party on the weekend for a few weeks and if cash is a problem, that would solve it.

For statefarm, I was directly told this:

· We will not insure any operator of the motorcycle over the age of 25, with less than one (1) year of experience operating a motorcycle, unless an acceptable motorcycle training course has been successfully completed.

Although I highly recommend completing the training course (become a better overall rider and save money on insurance) Intact is able to insure you with a M1 license only (as long as it is not a super sport).

Back
Top Bottom