Insurance for my CBR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for my CBR

RuinedC

My father is buying a CBR for both of us to ride but I only have my M1 currently and person we talked to didn't care much for insuring me. But my question here is after i get my M2 should I get insured or just leave the bike under my fathers insurance?

My father is buying a CBR for both of us to ride but I only have my M1 currently and person we talked to didn't care much for insuring me. But my question here is after i get my M2 should I get insured or just leave the bike under my fathers insurance?
Which cbr (engine size)?

Do you live with your dad? If yes, both of you will need to be on the insurance and they will charge your rate (which will suck). If you don't live with him, he likely has a cheaper rate but you are walking a tenuous line for material misrepresentation if you ride it often.

I suspect you best path is to tell your insurance company the truth and start building up insurance history to eventually bring your rates out of the stratosphere.

Which cbr (engine size)?

Do you live with your dad? If yes, both of you will need to be on the insurance and they will charge your rate (which will suck). If you don't live with him, he likely has a cheaper rate but you are walking a tenuous line for material misrepresentation if you ride it often.

I suspect you best path is to tell your insurance company the truth and start building up insurance history to eventually bring your rates out of the stratosphere.
Ye we live together and im gonna finish the M2 safety course tmrw. Even with it done will it send my rates through the rough? also considering its a CBR600RR and im 17

Get a smaller bike. Insurance will be horrendous and learning on a 600 is not ideal (it can be done but a tiny mistake is much more likely to have bad consequences). The 300-500 cc cbrs are available in similar style, much easier to learn on and insurance will be thousands a year cheaper.

not a good choice for a first bike, it is not forgiving for mistakes.

CB650R/CBR650R would be better. Or as @GreyGhost said, scale it down to a CBR500R or even a CB300R/CBR300R.

Get a smaller bike. Insurance will be horrendous and learning on a 600 is not ideal (it can be done but a tiny mistake is much more likely to have bad consequences). The 300-500 cc cbrs are available in similar style, much easier to learn on and insurance will be thousands a year cheaper.
I know how to ride and its already been paid for. Just want to know if the insurance will sky rocket even with the safety course

I know how to ride and its already been paid for. Just want to know if the insurance will sky rocket even with the safety course
Yes. He will be charged insurance at your rate. With an M2 and 17 yo I expect >$5000 a year for insurance. The only alternative for him to have that bike is you sign OFPC 28A and the insurance is then at his rate but you are completely prohibited from ever riding the bike.

course gives you about a 20% discount for 3 years.

Sounds to me like you are the one buying the CBR and are looking for a workaround on insurance by putting it in your father's name.
This will not end well...

Sounds to me like you are the one buying the CBR and are looking for a workaround on insurance by putting it in your father's name.
This will not end well...
Either way can't buy one with an M1 considering its being financed. So it's gotta be in his name

Either way can't buy one with an M1 considering its being financed. So it's gotta be in his name
Then, as been suggested by others, don't buy one.
Wait until you're older with a full licence and some experience.
You're 17 - a CBR600RR is not what you need right now, and playing games with insurance companies can blacklist you for a very long time.

Then, as been suggested by others, don't buy one.
Wait until you're older with a full licence and some experience.
You're 17 - a CBR600RR is not what you need right now, and playing games with insurance companies can blacklist you for a very long time.
Not playing games just assumed I didn't need to be insured but my dad had to

This gets better all the time. It's brand new and financed? Let us know what prices the insurance companies tell you.

Someone is telling you a story regarding M1, financing and buying a bike. There is no requirement to have a license to buy a motorcycle. You probably need a license to plate the bike but MTO doesn't give a crap if it's a Hayabusa and an M1.

This gets better all the time. It's brand new and financed? Let us know what prices the insurance companies tell you.

Someone is telling you a story regarding M1, financing and buying a bike. There is no requirement to have a license to buy a motorcycle. You probably need a license to plate the bike but MTO doesn't give a crap if it's a Hayabusa and an M1.
Im pretty sure it was because Im not 18

Reading between the lines - you're 17, can't get financing or insurance on a super sport bike unless you put it in your dad's name.
Give it up, you'll get caught out sooner or later and be dealing with the consequences for a long, long time.

Reading between the lines - you're 17, can't get financing or insurance on a super sport bike unless you put it in your dad's name.
Give it up, you'll get caught out sooner or later and be dealing with the consequences for a long, long time.
And so will his dad. We can just hope he survives his youth. Things weren't nearly as fast when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom